Yesterday's Red River Cereal cookie experiment

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Yesterday's Red River Cereal cookie experiment

Post by ChrisGreaves »

In a large lidded glass jar I mixed 3 cups of my regular oatmeal cereal and 1 cup of the infamous RRC.

I used my usual cookie mixture, but with the adulterated (adult-rated?) ceral mixture:
  • 3 cups oatmeal (mixture)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 handful raisins
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 spoon baking soda
  • 2 spoons pureed ginger (I puree a large bagful of ginger root once a year and bottle it for ease-of-use)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Incrementally add water to make a runny dough (not a batter, but a dough that will flow and doesn't need to be rolled out or cookie-cuttered, I can spoon it onto the baking tray).
Cook at 375-400-ish 15 minutes.

The different texture was great, the cookies being "crunchier", presumably on account of the baked flax seeds.

P.S. I like adding crud to the dough. Some days I toss in the coffee percolator basket and get crunchy coffee-grounds in the cookies. Can also use them in salads.
P.P.S. I avoided the puns of "Inclemently" and "doesn't knead to be rolled" and will refrain from highlighting the poetic style in "dough that will flow" so as not to embarrass you all.
(Thinks) If I spent less time PSing my posts I'd have my cooking site back up and running by now.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

WebGenii
StarLounger

Re: Yesterday's Red River Cereal cookie experiment

Post by WebGenii »

I add ground flax seeds to all my cookie doughs. What the heck - I can claim they are healthy and it does seem to add a nice "toothy" texture.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

WebGenii wrote: I can claim they are healthy and it does seem to add a nice "toothy" texture.
You sure can (but I wouldn't!) but I agree with the "toothy" texture, crunchy I call it. I think that's why I add coffee grounds to a whole lot of stuff. Back in the days when I ate ice-cream, I had some mochachino or something that seemed to have coffee grounds in it.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

P.S. I like adding crud to the dough. Some days I toss in the coffee percolator basket and get crunchy coffee-grounds in the cookies. Can also use them in salads.
What is this CRUD that you are adding?
In my book crud, in nothing but floor sweepings and I am being polite :evilgrin:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

ChrisGreaves wrote:...I'd have my cooking site back up and running by now.
Anybody who puts used ground coffee into food will be cooking and running...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:... nothing but floor sweepings
Well, yes, you know, those squashed raisins that fell off the counter top, the bit of purple cabbage that escaped the shredder during prep for yesterday's salad, it's amazing what can be found to bulk up one's cooking; and that's without burrowing to the back of the spice cupboard, too!