'Worrying' reason why Australian vegetables are getting more expensive while canned food remains cheap

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

'Worrying' reason why Australian vegetables are getting more expensive while canned food remains cheap

Post by ChrisGreaves »

This ABC article grabs my attention because Bonavista is a remote settlement where one 53-foot semi-trailer unloads groceries into both supermarkets and both convenience stores in town. As do the Doritos and Pepsi trucks. I buy my cans of tomato paste from Swyers, my bread flour from Foodland, and my sugar from either store.

I understand that canned food lasts longer (which is good when I am snow-bound or you are flood-bound) and can be manufactured at peak quality and bulk-produced. A lot of tomato paste can be fitted inside a 53' trailer.
Long-life means that canned food can be floated across oceans which is, I think, the cheapest form of transport.

I buy powdered milk in 2.5Kg plastic sacks because I refuse to lug something that is 99% water home from the supermarket in my little orange shoulder-bag.

My take-away is that despite my worry that the world now has only the Del-Monte brand of banana/pineapple, I am best served by buying a global product that I use frequently (tomato paste) but buying locally fresh food from the more esoteric sources.

In Newfoundland that generally means potatoes from New Brunswick and citrus fruit from Florida and California. Sigh!

Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: 'Worrying' reason why Australian vegetables are getting more expensive while canned food remains cheap

Post by John Gray »

It seems that ALL your problems would be solved by you moving to California? :flee:
Or to Florida.
Or to both...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: 'Worrying' reason why Australian vegetables are getting more expensive while canned food remains cheap

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 12:09
It seems that ALL your problems would be solved by you moving to California? :flee:
Or to Florida.
Or to both...
Both, John? Think of the commute!
And luckily for me, all my problems won't be solved until I live forever! :grin:

On a more personal note, a move to California won't change all that much; you and I will continue to have amicable pokes at each other's brains, I will still struggle with the concept of self-testing spreadsheets (in general), and I will always need a bigger house for all my books and/or indoor plants.

I did contemplate moving back to Toronto on 02 Nov 2020; back then I felt that I had 20-20 vision. :groan:
Cheers, Chris
He who plants a seed, plants life.