Vegetable & Herb Garden

Samantha
3StarLounger

Vegetable & Herb Garden

Post by Samantha »

For the first time in 18 years, I finally have a yard big enough for a vegetable garden. The back yard is presently a mix of weeds and overgrown shrubs, but there's plenty of room for a garden, with lots of sunlight. Rather than trying to amend the soil, I've decided to put in raised beds on top of the existing hardpan.

I've just started on the design process, both for the beds themselves and how/what will be planted. I live in Spokane, at the eastern edge of Washington, and just over 100 miles South of the Canadian border. The area is identified as USDA Zone 6 for plant hardiness, -23 to -18 C (-10 to 0 F) as potential wintertime lows; with a growing season from early May through Sept; although it is not unusual to experience a killing frost as late as mid-May or even early June, but I should be able to overcome that potential with row covers, as long as the ground warms up enough to plant.

In addition to the vegetable garden in the back yard, I'm planning an herb garden for the side yard outside the kitchen door, which will be in pots that I can easily move as required to take advantage of the necessary sun/shade combination.

By biggest problem right now is narrowing down what I'm going to plant. I want to grow it all, but also don't want to spend all summer tending the garden. Anybody have any tips, suggestions, recommendations?
Samantha

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Re: Vegetable & Herb Garden

Post by Skitterbug »

Samantha wrote:For the first time in 18 years, I finally have a yard big enough for a vegetable garden. The back yard is presently a mix of weeds and overgrown shrubs, but there's plenty of room for a garden, with lots of sunlight. Rather than trying to amend the soil, I've decided to put in raised beds on top of the existing hardpan.

I've just started on the design process, both for the beds themselves and how/what will be planted. I live in Spokane, at the eastern edge of Washington, and just over 100 miles South of the Canadian border. The area is identified as USDA Zone 6 for plant hardiness, -23 to -18 C (-10 to 0 F) as potential wintertime lows; with a growing season from early May through Sept; although it is not unusual to experience a killing frost as late as mid-May or even early June, but I should be able to overcome that potential with row covers, as long as the ground warms up enough to plant.

In addition to the vegetable garden in the back yard, I'm planning an herb garden for the side yard outside the kitchen door, which will be in pots that I can easily move as required to take advantage of the necessary sun/shade combination.

By biggest problem right now is narrowing down what I'm going to plant. I want to grow it all, but also don't want to spend all summer tending the garden. Anybody have any tips, suggestions, recommendations?
I think I would first decide what sort of fresh veggies and herbs do I enjoy eating and preserving? You will also have to consider how much time you have for growing your crops? 3 months maybe?

My hubby also went with raised beds. They are easier to work in since the soil is in "perfect condition". :grin: We tend to have soggy conditions in our yard when it rains so having our beds raised helps avoid drowning out our garden. Granted, the beds will dry out a little faster but for us adding water is much easier than waiting for the soil to dry out. :yep:

We've already started leeks <because they take quite awhile to develop> and tomatoes <because we want to enjoy them as early as possible!> And I have flowers started as well - petunias, impatiens, snapdragons, hibiscus and geraniums! It beats buying them by the flats from the local nursery! I'll start marigolds, zinnia, etc. when it is closer to spring since they grow faster! Anyway, I'm going on a bit so I'll stop and let you enjoy browsing in your garden seed catalogs! :smile:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

We went with raised garden beds, finally, as well. Interesting, Skitter, your comments about the soil and it drying out. We dont get much rain here (we had an inch at Christmas and haven't seen a cloud in the sky since). We are finding that the soil is staying moist for longer! But we do have the beds lined with heavy duty plastic to extend the life of the timber.
Despite the moisture in the soil and the straw to keep it there, some plants really do not like the hot days and have just shrivelled up and died.
We have four beds, each 1 metre x 3 metres. We were a bit late with getting it started this summer so we still have one bed completely empty. But that helps with the planning and the scheduling of the planting for the winter vegies.
As for what to plant, I agree with the suggestion that you plant what you will eat. We currently have tomatoes, spinach, eggplant, capsicums, spring onions, zuchini and basil. Very soon, we will start the seeds for beetroot, peas, cauliflower, broccoli and lettuce so they are ready for the antumn plantings. We plan to plant beds successively so that we always have one free and we are not totally inundated with produce at the one time. That's the plan anyway.

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Skitterbug wrote:I think I would first decide what sort of fresh veggies and herbs do I enjoy eating and preserving?
Ah, that's the problem -- we love just about all vegetables & herbs. Last year, in lieu of a garden, I belonged to a CSA where we received weekly deliveries of fresh, local vegetables, and at the end of the season, received a bonus delivery of six different crops: beets, chard, corn, potatoes and carrots. I simply stored the potatoes in a cool place, but I froze and canned the rest, so I'm already prepared for that eventuality.
You will also have to consider how much time you have for growing your crops? 3 months maybe?

I think we can count on at least a 4-month growing season, with judicious use of coverings at the beginning and end of the season, and the brassica can thrive into late November.
We've already started leeks <because they take quite awhile to develop> and tomatoes <because we want to enjoy them as early as possible!>
I'm not set up this year to start seedlings indoors, so I've already planned on getting my tomato plants from the nursery once the soil warms up.
And I have flowers started as well - petunias, impatiens, snapdragons, hibiscus and geraniums! It beats buying them by the flats from the local nursery! I'll start marigolds, zinnia, etc. when it is closer to spring since they grow faster!
I know my limits -- this yard has been totally neglected for many years, so this year I'm going to concentrate on getting my vegetable garden started and slowly cleaning out the neglected remainder. Next year (or this Fall if all goes well), I'll turn my attention to replanting the flower gardens.
Samantha

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Today's signboard may be appropriate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Perfect thyming!
Samantha

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Does anybody have any experience with the globe variety of zucchini? A couple of years ago I was the recipient of a friend's excess production of a round zucchini that was about the size of a basketball. It was hollow inside, similar to a pumpkin, the flesh was moist and sweet, and the skin remained tender and edible.

Unfortunately, it seems there are several different varieties of globe zucchini, and my friend can't recall exactly which one he planted. He picked the plants up from a nursery on a whim, and didn't keep any records.
Samantha

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Samantha wrote:I've decided to put in raised beds on top of the existing hardpan.
I think these are a good idea. Easier to control the spoil and moisture content (better drainage etc.)
I think you already know about gardening, the basics at any rate, and you know that the first year will take more time than any other (trips to the store to get a roll of netting, linseed oil for the hoe-handle etc.) so why not go with three sure-fire winners.
Pick the 3 vegetables that you absolutely LOVE fresh, and grow those.
Let's suppose you would kill for fresh string green beans, where you wait until the pan of water is boiling, walk out to the bean poles, harvest a bowl of beans and RUN back to the kitchen, chop and boil for 2 minutes, serve with a dab of butter, salt and pepper and eat them on the swing-seat on the porch.
At the end of the first year you will be filled with a sense of accomplishment and gratitude for the luxuries of the three fresh vegetables (and fruits) that you most enjoy, which will slingshot you into the second year.

As a counter, suppose you decided to plant only potatoes. At the end of the year you'd be left with the nagging feeling that potatoes are $5 a ton (quantities may vary) at your local supermarket, and "What's so special about spuds anyway?"

I'd say, Go with 3 luxury items that will grow in your climate.
Treat yourself to success :trophy: this first year.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Samantha wrote:Perfect thyming!
Some more thyming.

This thread gave me the idea for today's sign.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

GeoffW wrote:
Samantha wrote:Perfect thyming!
Some more thyming.

This thread gave me the idea for today's sign.
parsing some sage advice no doubt :smile:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image