Have you dumpled recently?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Have you dumpled recently?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Well, we are now entering the next twelve months of Winter here in Bonavista, , so it is time for vegetable soup.

Swyers sells frozen turkey necks at $2.37 per packet, and I am still on my first packet after two weeks. Boil the necks for an hour, strain and hang on to the turkey necks, The stock is then augmented with a “soup pack” which is what Dana calls a plastic bag of slightly-blemished cabbage, parsnip, turnip, carrots etc. To a gallon of turkey-neck soup stock and veg I add (Teaspoons) salt*3, dill*1, curry*1, paprika*½, pepper*2. This made a 2.89 litre plastic tub to freeze.

I re-boiled those turkey necks and made another gallon of veggie soup. I ate that over the course of a few days.
Yesterday I continued wringing animal protein out of those necks for a third batch of soup. This is very much like that packet of Rice-a-Riso I bought in Wollongong back in 1968.

This morning I drained off the liquid into a sauce pan, and made dumplings:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon margarine
1/2 cup milk

Mix by hand the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in medium size bowl. Cut in margarine until crumbly. Stir in milk to make a soft dough.

Drop by spoonfuls into boiling stew. Simmer 15 minutes.

I used only half my dumpling mixture, then balled the remainder and have popped them on a dinner plate in the freezer.
I shall extract half of them tomorrow, thaw and simmer. If that doesn’t work, then the remaining quarter will end up on the back or front lawns for my viewing enjoyment.

Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace