Roasted Oat Flakes

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Roasted Oat Flakes

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DSCN0145.JPG
So I made my usual (!) loaf of bread this morning, but for a change decided to sprinkle a tablespoon of rolled oats on the top as a decorative measure.
To my surprise this has a practical aspect since the thin covering of oats means that the surface of the rising loaf means that dough doesn’t stick to the thin plastic sheet I use to cover the loaf tin, and that means I don’t have to clean the plastic sheet of dough, and that means less detergent going down the drain and that means healthier dolphins less windy zebras and more butterflies fluttering by the tulips ...
Of course some of the flakes flaked off, so this flake scooped them up, about a dozen in all, and popped them into the mouth.
Mmmmm!
Has anyone else experimented with roasted rolled oats?
I’m thinking of a cup of rolled oats in a 300° oven for ten minutes; or perhaps, popping the tray in after I’ve removed my loaf and turned off the oven – let them roast in residual heat.
Speaking of heat: I learned from On Food And Cooking (Harold McGee, Scribner, the REVISED edition 2004, not the original 1984) that (page 40) “Steam does several useful things ...” including keeping the surface flexible encouraging greater rising and also gelating starch on the surface giving ... an attractive glossy crust.
Who Knew?
I plan to highlight this book over the next few days; be warned.
Amongst other things: Freeze bread, don’t refrigerate it. Again, who knew?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Roasted Oat Flakes

Post by Rudi »

Lovely loaf... :yum: (I love fresh bread)

Don't worry about the windy zebras, I'm sure they will survive.

When you started speaking about roasted rolled oats, I immediately thought about honey. Oats and honey always make a wonderful combo. I think I'm gonna go and look for a candy bar at the canteen tomorrow that has rolled oats and honey in it, cos now you made me want it!!!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DSCN0146.JPG
FWIW (about $7.00 in an artisan bakery!) here’s this morning’s loaf. I covered it with whole-wheat flour instead of oats (gotta watch Rudi’s diet!) and added water again to a steaming tray below the loaf shelf. Got the benefits of non-stick surface AND a nice (artisan, see?) split in the top of the crust. (I’m working towards making my own baguettes which will be cheaper than flying to France again next year ...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Regular baker man... It looks wonderfully scrumptious (I can almost smell it!)

So what do you eat on it? Butter, or apricot jam, or marmalade or cheese and tomato? :yum:
Aargh...I'm getting hungry all over again!
Regards,
Rudi

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:Regular baker man...
I tell my friends that I make more dough now that I'm retired and on a pension ...
So what do you eat on it?
Home-made jam (raspberry, strawberry, carrot, parsnip etc ) or cheese - Mozzarella or Gouda - grilled lightly in the toaster oven. Sometimes just margarine, piping hot bread, only just cool enough to cut.
I am ashamed to admit that once, just once, I cut off and ate the six crusts and tossed the centre of the loaf straight into the vermicomposter!

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I am convinced that there is NOTHING more delicious than piping hot farm style bread (similar to your bread), cut into slices, with butter, apricot jam and a thick slice of milk cheese. 1000 :yum: The smell of the fresh bread, the tang of the apricots and the sweet cheese just complement each other (like Ruby's legs and fishnets). Then, once the jam has slightly soaked into the bread, and the cheese has softened and curled round the breads edges, you take a big bite and the combination of freshness just melts in the mouth..... Hallelujah! 8 hours to go till morning....
Regards,
Rudi