Any Weber Kettle Grill Users Here?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Any Weber Kettle Grill Users Here?

Post by BobH »

About 6 weeks ago, I ran across a post on another forum (one about smoking meat) that told of using the smallest Weber - the Smokey Joe - and a tamale pot to make a small but efficient smoker, a smoker that is easily portable for camping and fishing trips. So I made one and it turned out great. (Pics below)

It turned out so well in fact that I wanted to make another one and started haunting craigslist in my area for another Weber Smokey Joe. So far, none are to be had, but I DID find a 22.5" Weber One Touch Gold kettle (for $25). Who could pass up a hardly used and well kept Weber only a few years old?

I gave it some TLC and a new cooking grate and cooked on it for the first time yesterday. I learned very quickly that I had no idea how high or low the temps were inside the dome; so I bought an inexpensive thermometer designed to be installed through the wall or lid. I used it dropped through the vent wheel opening on the top and discovered quickly that it WILL fall out and that it IS HOT!! It only took me 2 times to learn that fact.

So now I want to install it permanently. I figured the proper place would be opposite the vent wheel on the top about midway between the handle and the rim. Has anyone here ever done this to a Weber? I need advice about the location and how to drill a 3/8" hole without damaging the porcelain finish on the steel.

TIA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Re: Any Weber Kettle Grill Users Here?

Post by Doc Watson »

For drilling the holes, use specialized bits (carbide porcelain diamond), and a slow drilling speed to provide clean holes without ruining the finish. Start with a smaller bit than you want the finished hole to be and then expand the hole with the larger bit. Less chance of damaging the finish with the smaller bit.

My Weber has the thermometer mounted on an angle, using a small factory bracket to hole it on a readable angle. The newer models appear to have the thermometer mounted directly in the lid as you are wanting to do. I'd mount it opposite the vent, on the rounded part of the lid, so it faces the person grilling as much as possible.

BTW - Could you post the instructions or a link to them ?? Sounds like an interesting idea.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Any Weber Kettle Grill Users Here?

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Doc!

The location was my biggest concern. I'll give the small bit - large bit process a try.

Thanks again!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs