Router Resetting

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
RonH
SilverLounger

Router Resetting

Post by RonH »

I use a Gigabyte wireless router.
Every so often (maybe after 20+ internet sessions) it fails to connect to the internet and it is necessary to power off the router and then switch it on again.
Is this 'normal' with routers or is there some router setting that I should/can adjust.
Its not a big problem but rather a nuisance ... especially when the lady of the house says 'its not working again' :laugh:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Router Resetting

Post by StuartR »

This is not "normal", but I have heard of people having this kind of problem before. It could be a fault on your router, or it could even be a fault at the ISP end.

Does the router get hot when in use?
Have you reported this problem to the ISP and asked them to fix it?
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

No to both Stuart.
Will contact ISP to get their advice thanks
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Is your power clean?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:Is your power clean?
On a similar line... Is the power cable to the router neat and tidy and out of the way or could it can it get kicked/knocked? I've only ever deliberately rebooted my router on less than a handful of occasions but it has suffered a few blips if the power has wobbled.

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Everything power & cable wise is OK and the router does not 'blip', switch off/on etc. It must be some kind of setting in the router? Its model GN-BRO1G (rev 1.0) in case that's of any help. Unfortunately, due to some 're-organisation' at Gigabyte, they reply saying that I need to contact my local supplier! And that is a waste of time!
With regard to contacting my ISP ... I forgot, the router is not part of their gear. They just supplied the ADSL modem.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You could test to see what happens if you power cycle the ADSL modem instead of the router next time this happens.
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

StuartR wrote:You could test to see what happens if you power cycle the ADSL modem instead of the router next time this happens.
Took a while to 'fail again' but has just now. Usually I simply switched off both units and then re-powered but I have now isolated the problem to the Gigabyte GN-BRO1G Router.
So it must be something in the router settings that say's 're-boot?'
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

In Norway, you probably are not affected by rolling brownouts in the public electricity grid as many of us in the States are. This summer has been the hottest on record where I live (in fact, it has been the hottest ever recorded for any State). We experienced 87 days with temperatures above 100 degrees Fahrenheit - many of them above 110 degrees. The demand for power to support air conditioning (I know, not in Norway) caused the power values to fluctuate. Those fluctuations can and do cause problems with electronic equipment. Even without grid fluctuations, there can be fluctuations caused by the local wiring within you home. Bad connections and components can cause this even in new facilities. We typically are ill prepared to measure such things and most often go without knowing about them.

I can attest from personal experience that these electricity issues cause problems with routers and cable modems, both. Of course, you may equally have a defective or failing router.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

BobH wrote: ...I can attest from personal experience that these electricity issues cause problems with routers and cable modems, both. Of course, you may equally have a defective or failing router.
G'day Bob and thanks for your comments ... I am also aware of very high temps being from Australia.

With respect to power fluctuations etc, I really do not think this is the cause of my router doing a 'wobbly' from time to time. It seems to relate to the number of times internet is accessed and/or time. Its hard to do a count but I am trying to log the number of days that pass before I need to repower to see if there is some common factor. I do not fully understand the settings of routers so can't go down this route. Certainly it functions quite normally except for these outages that are easily fixed ... but which are a 'pain'.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

It also may not be neither. If your ISP has a issue with the line, they may be resetting things on their end, or even a tech is checking the line at different spots and that is sending a error and causing this to be reset.

I know here in the NW of the US, where it is very wet at times, the techs are out checking that junction points for moisture, as it builds up and the single gets very weak. They must separate the connections and clean them, which will break the connection and the Cable modem is reset.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I'll keep a check on the 'when' for a while to see if there is any sort of pattern.
Thanks guys for taking the time to respond.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.