New NIC, I Guess

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
Timelord
4StarLounger

New NIC, I Guess

Post by Timelord »

Hey all,

I spent several hours today rearranging my living room to allow me to have my office in the same room as the tv. So now I have moved my desktop pc downstairs and just realized that the desktop does not have a NIC card. I can connect with my laptop, thus I can post this question. Anyway, I guess I need to get a wireless NIC card or something to connect to my router. I would like to get something that does not require me opening up the pc as I am scared :flee: of hardware. Any suggestions? I will probably go to Best Buy. Thanks
Who will you Inspire today?

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: New NIC, I Guess

Post by John Gray »

Timelord wrote:So now I have moved my desktop pc downstairs and just realized that the desktop does not have a NIC card.
Most desktops do not have a NIC card as such, because this facility is invariably built into the motherboard of desktop PCs! Are you really saying that there is no ethernet socket at the back, usually next to the USB sockets? If so, your desktop could be ten or more years old, when you actually had to add a NIC card, usually a mere 10 Mbps.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

Wireless NIC's are availale for your desktop. Bizrate shows a variety available. You might want to research some reviews before your purchase, but these seem pretty reasonably priced.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

I meant that the desktop did not have a wireless NIC. Anyway, thanks everyone. I did run out to Office Max last night and get a D-Link. I noticed some on here and elsewhere talking down about Belkin, so I avoided that. Bad that I noticed that now since I just got a Belkin Router a few months ago.
Who will you Inspire today?