DNS Servers and Other Router Settings for Security

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
BobH
UraniumLounger

DNS Servers and Other Router Settings for Security

Post by BobH »

Some months back there was a thread about choosing your DNS server instead of using your ISP's choice of server. My recollections are dimmed enough that I cannot create a search argument that will return anything specific or returns the universe of posts, it seems.

I recently changed ISP. I also implemented my own Docsys 3.0 cable modem. I had some problems - because I misread MAC address values (I'm having cataract surgery at oh-dark-thirty tomorrow) - and had to reset my router to factory defaults. I didn't have the settings recorded anywhere (DOH@@@) and couldn't access the router from my browser before the reset.

If anyone recalls the thread or wants to give me advise on router settings for better privacy/security and/or performance, please help the ancient one out.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Re: DNS Servers and Other Router Settings for Security

Post by StuartR »

Was it this thread DNS over HTTPS
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yes, that thread is very familiar; however, I didn't see anything in it that addresses changing anything in one's router. I have a fuzzy recollection that some router settings needed to be changed.

I checked FireFox and have DoH enabled and the Cloudflare default select. Where would I check for the DNS IP address settings?

Aging brains don't retain nearly enough !

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: DNS Servers and Other Router Settings for Security - Fol

Post by BobH »

I found the place to implement the DNS IP addresses in my router and changed them to use the 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1, and 8.8.8.8 values suggested in the first, second and third static DNS IP address fields.

Is there anything else I need to take care of? Rereading those threads and related links didn't jog my memory on other changes. Are the FireFox and router IP addresses all that are needed?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Most home computers are configured to use DHCP to get their DNS settings, and the router will assign itself as the DNS server. You can check what DNS server a PC is using by typing the command NSLOOKUP in a command window. This will tell you the name and IP address of the DNS server.

Edited to add
IF you use a VPN then the VPN service will assign a DNS server that is on their network, and ensures all your DNS lookups are encrypted.

If you need to change the DNS settings on a Windows 10 PC then
  • Open Settings
  • Network & Internet
  • Ethernet (or WiFi as appropriate)
  • Select your network from the list on the right (there will probably be one thing on the list)
  • Under IP settings click the Edit button
  • Choose Automatic (DHCP) or Manual
  • If you are configuring this maunally then turn on the toggle for IPv4
  • Enter the addresses for your preferred DNS servers
  • Click save or OK repeatedly to back out of all the menus
StuartR