Advice needed

silverback
5StarLounger

Advice needed

Post by silverback »

I regularly take off the oven door and dismantle in order to clean the insides of the double glazed glass.
The insides of the door of the microwave is now very grimy and needs cleaning.
Given the safety precautions necessary with microwaves, is it safe for me to remove and dismantle the door or are there (safety) things done during assembly which would make it difficult for me to reassemble safely?
Thanks
Silverback

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Advice needed

Post by StuartR »

I think that you need a microwave detector to verify all the seals after reassembley.
StuartR

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Just buy a new microwave. If it's that dirty, you've gotten your money's worth I'd suspect. :grin:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

I would suspect that if you need to clean the insides of the double-glazing, the seals may be shot anyway.

How old is the machine?
Leif

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Leif wrote:I would suspect that if you need to clean the insides of the double-glazing, the seals may be shot anyway.
How old is the machine?
Hold on, chaps! It's not food stuff on the inside of the glass - it's just the normal grime like you get on lounge windows (which is why windows have to be cleaned on the inside as well as the outside. Ask your lady if you're not sure!) :innocent:
The device is a built in combination oven and microwave and is only a couple of years old. Cost of purchase - nearly £500, so it's not being junked!
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hey! Our Lounge windows are very clean! :cranky:
Best wishes,
Hans

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

silverback wrote:... it's just the normal grime like you get on lounge windows (which is why windows have to be cleaned on the inside as well as the outside...
Are you sure (willing to bet £500) the "grime" you're seeing isn't smokiness from a coating on the glass put there to increase it's effectiveness in blocking microwave radiation? I've never seen a microwave I could see "clearly" through, but I could see enough for all practical purposes. Guess that's why I'm an engineer instead of a scientist.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

What I don't understand, Silverback, is why do you feel it necessary to take the door OFF to clean it? I don't clean mine that often, but when I do I clean it "in place" by putting plenty of paper towels or a cloth towel on the range top to catch any cleanser drippings. I just use a regular cleanser like Spic-n-Span or whatever, mixed in hot water. I never use anything "caustic" or rough like a Brillo pad or whatever. Just a sponge.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Supermarkets have a veritable plethora of cleaning substances for all eventualities. I don't suggest you get Oven Cleaner (ever so slightly caustic), but what about stuff that will clean a halogen hob? Often with a sort of sharp-edge scraper to remove burnt-on grime and fat.

You could always inquire of appropriate shopping females in the aisle about the best way to perform this task. Though make sure you don't get arrested!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:What I don't understand, Silverback, is why do you feel it necessary to take the door OFF to clean it? I don't clean mine that often, but when I do I clean it "in place" by putting plenty of paper towels or a cloth towel on the range top to catch any cleanser drippings. I just use a regular cleanser like Spic-n-Span or whatever, mixed in hot water. I never use anything "caustic" or rough like a Brillo pad or whatever. Just a sponge.
I'm with Al on this. Why the need to remove the door? :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Bigaldoc wrote:What I don't understand, Silverback, is why do you feel it necessary to take the door OFF to clean it? I don't clean mine that often, but when I do I clean it "in place" by putting plenty of paper towels or a cloth towel on the range top to catch any cleanser drippings. I just use a regular cleanser like Spic-n-Span or whatever, mixed in hot water. I never use anything "caustic" or rough like a Brillo pad or whatever. Just a sponge.
(This is what I love about the Lounge. You ask an :innocent: question, and the whole lounge erupts. I feel :cooked: :grin: )

I need to remove the door because it's double glazed and the grime is on the inside of the two glass panes.
As I said, I am not talking about grease spatters, burnt on fat etc; on the oven side of the glass, it's the inside of both pieces of glass that's gradually getting more grimy (ie the glass is getting covered in a film) and it needs to be cleaned. Therefore, I need to disassemble the door so I can get to the inside face of the glass and clean it. All of this I have no problem with - I just want to know whether, when I put it back together, I will have inadvertently missed something which then allows microwaves to leak. I want to keep cooking of kidneys strictly inside the oven, not my own as I walk past!
Stuart's answer is probably the best - get a microwave detector to ensure I haven't :censored: it up putting it back together.
Keep the comments coming, guys!
Silverback

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

So you're saying this rather expensive appliance has only two. single pane glass windows in it? And you can open up and remove them for cleaning just like storm windows?
Have you contacted the manufacturer to see if this is a standard recommended practice?
BOB

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

Personally, I know you can take oven doors off, but aren't you sort of creating an avenue for grime when you unassemble the glass? Then one is just creating a situation they're trying not to have, putting them in the dangerous cycle o' cleaning doom. It's like removing the rubber from a window screen to get at fly bits from that time you used the flyswatter after a couple of brewskis. It sort of ruins the screen and gives those pesky mosquitos the "all clear" signal to move right through.

But I'm a girl so what do I know?
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Stupid guy reply, but my take is that if it's INSIDE a multi-paned window, I'd leave it alone and put up with it! I just wouldn't want to take the SAFETY chance, even if there is a tester around that would assess possible leaks. Sheesh...

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Looking at my microwave, I'd say that the double glass is supposed to be permanently sealed and if you take it apart, you've broken the seal. I don't see how you can put it together again properly. If there is grime in it, then perhaps that seal is already botched up and you ought to contact your manufacturer for warranty work. Just my :2cents:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

silverback wrote:Keep the comments coming, guys!
Trade it in for an AGA - much safer :grin:
Leif

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I suggest you phone the manufacturer and mutter Sale of Goods and Services Act, or Unfit For Purpose, at them. If the door is leaking air after just a couple of years of incessant use, then it clearly needs replacing under warranty!

(Ah, the Aga-ny and the Ecstasy!)
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Leif wrote:
AGA???? :scratch: ???
OMG! :angel:
BOB

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

HansV wrote:Hey! Our Lounge windows are very clean! :cranky:
Crikey - didn't mean to suggest . . . .

Thanks for only being :cranky: and not using the :wartgun: or :warts:
Silverback :grin:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

viking33 wrote:
Leif wrote:
AGA???? :scratch: ???
OMG! :angel:
So what IS.....AGA?
BOB