When resumes go bad

HansV
Administrator

Re: When resumes go bad

Post by HansV »

Characters is not the problem. The software queries the site where the image is hosted for the dimensions (width and height) of the image, and in some cases it doesn't get a correct answer back, or no answer at all. This means the software can't determine whether the image is at most 100 pixels high and therefore refuses it - even if it is actually much less tall.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Hey Jude, sorry for my reply to your banner issue (above). I misunderstood what the problem was until I tried it myself. I agree with BobH that perhaps the 250 byte limit should be increased to ~500 if this is indeed feasible.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:Characters is not the problem. The software queries the site where the image is hosted for the dimensions (width and height) of the image, and in some cases it doesn't get a correct answer back, or no answer at all. This means the software can't determine whether the image is at most 100 pixels high and therefore refuses it - even if it is actually much less tall.
I think your statement must be true - because you said it - but I think there might be a bit more to it than that. My signature on file contains the link to the image and it displays correctly in the signature; however, I tried to change my signature and received the warning that the image height is limited to 100 pixels. From this experiment I conclude that it is only in the phpBB code that processes the signature field when making profile changes that this limit is imposed. Apparently the code has changed since I originally set up my signature. If my surmise is correct, that would explain why Hey Jude cannot replicate the WU banner in her signature.

I've read the bbCode FAQ. It is good as far as it goes, but leaves a lot left unsaid. Can anyone point me to a page where I can read more about how phpBB has implemented its generalized markup interpreter? I would like to learn more about how it handles tables and what qualifiers are available and how they work. I doubt that table qualifiers will overcome the signature image height limitation because that is apparently an edit process that occurs only when an image is incorporated into the signature storage area; however, it would be helpful to know more about the phpBB markup interpreter.

Thank you,
-bh
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Curiouser and curiouser . . .

I copied the .gif from the display of my signature line here. Although I can't say what information is reported by the Weather Underground web page when the URL is invoked by phpBB when editing entries to the signature panel, I can report that the image when captured and examined in Photo Commander shows it to be only 50 pixels high and 150 pixels wide.

Perhaps the phpBB code has constrained the image I saved and that it was actually defined differently, or perhaps the browser has some effect. However, if the size as detected from the saved image is correct, then there must be a problem either with the phpBB code or with the response when the WU url is invoked.

Just providing cannon fodder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

BobH wrote:...Can anyone point me to a page where I can read more about how phpBB has implemented its generalized markup interpreter? I would like to learn more about how it handles tables and what qualifiers are available and how they work.
The [table] tag is not standard BBCode. It was created by Hans when we set up Eileen's Lounge. The only parameter it takes is a number, that controls the border thickness. So
[table=1][tr=top][td=right]hello[/td][td=left]world[/td][/tr][/table]
looks like this
HelloWorld
and
[table=5][tr=top][td=right]hello[/td][td=left]world[/td][/tr][/table]
looks like this
HelloWorld
The only parameters you can use with [tr=] are top, middle and bottom (for vertical alignment)
The only parameters you can use with [td=] are left, center and right (for horizontal alignment)
Last edited by StuartR on 02 Feb 2011, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to add middle and center to the list of parameters for tr and td
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See the Table section in Tutorial: BBcodes.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

BobH wrote:Curiouser and curiouser . . .

I copied the .gif from the display of my signature line here. Although I can't say what information is reported by the Weather Underground web page when the URL is invoked by phpBB when editing entries to the signature panel, I can report that the image when captured and examined in Photo Commander shows it to be only 50 pixels high and 150 pixels wide.

Perhaps the phpBB code has constrained the image I saved and that it was actually defined differently, or perhaps the browser has some effect. However, if the size as detected from the saved image is correct, then there must be a problem either with the phpBB code or with the response when the WU url is invoked.

Just providing cannon fodder.
I too found that same info about the display properties of the image. I didn't think to post it here, but I'm glad you did. I'm also glad (not really) that you tried to change your sig and got the same error message. At least that verifies that I am at least literate enough to be able to include an image in the proper format.

PaulB, it's no problem, of course one would presume that I just had to use what BobH had used, because indeed it DID work for him, but now doesn't. That's why I was trying to resize the .gif but didn't know how to incorporate that resized image into the url because it didn't work. The few sites I found that would do it, would only work in .jpg and not .gif so that gave me more determination to figure it out. Ha!

Thanks to BobH who has taken so much time to explain bbCode to me and how it works. I have learned alot, and really LOVE the idea of having the wunderground weather beacon on my signature. It is neat seeing where different folks are from and their time zones/temps etc. I wasn't ever aware of this website so it's been really fun experimenting.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for the information, Stuart.

As I said, I'm no bbCode boffin. I have used it on other forums, including table tags. It seems that the only thing truly standard about bbCode is the standard that every implementation differs. :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As a temporary measure, I have removed the limitation on image size in signatures, and set the maximum length to 500 characters.

Hey Jude, you should now be able to include the Weather Underground thingy in your signature.

If members create overly bulky signatures, the Admins may request them to reduce them in size, and if necessary edit them.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Thanks Hans, I included the "thingy" in my signature and am so delighted!!!

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

GeoffW wrote:What does a dog do that a man steps into?
Meant to post this yesterday and forgot to hit the Submit button. Couldn't resist the temptation, Geoff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

Hey Jude wrote:Thanks Hans, I included the "thingy" in my signature and am so delighted!!!
Am I missing something here? What is this wunderground thingy? :confused:
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Wunderground is short for "Weather underground", a weather website in the USA. The "thingy" is the banner in BobH's and Hey Jude's signature that shows the zip code, local time and temperature.
wunderground.png
Best wishes,
Hans

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

Hi Hans. I don't see the banner in either signature. Is this a skin or setting issue?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's visible in all skins. Have you installed a browser add-in that might block the image? The image is hosted on the wunderground.com site, not on Eileen's Lounge.
Best wishes,
Hans

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

Ah, ok, thanks. I'm not on my usual pc as it's currently out of use. I can live without it for now.... Don't want to interfere with er' indoors machine. :flee:

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

HansV wrote:It's visible in all skins. Have you installed a browser add-in that might block the image? The image is hosted on the wunderground.com site, not on Eileen's Lounge.
It's not showing for me at all in Hey Jude's signature - although it was before. I suspect she may have removed it...
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, she must have removed it, but that's recent - it was still there when I created the screenshot an hour ago...
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Yes, I was playing with editing it so it wasn't so much......I wasn't finished lol.....