New Year's Rant

HansV
Administrator

New Year's Rant

Post by HansV »

I can understand that websites include advertisements to generate income, but I increasingly come across a rather irritating advertisement:
BigButtons.png
A big green arrow pointing to a big blue Download button. I have no idea what it's for - a mouseover only reveals a GoogleAds link. This obtrusive button is often placed near to the much smaller and less noticeable download button or link that I need, so a couple of times I came near to clicking the big button by mistake... :aflame:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Re: New Year's Rant

Post by Hey Jude »

I hear you and have had to be ever so diligent to make sure I am not downloading something that will
end up being nothing but a curse :aflame:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

That seems to be the new sneak method to get people to download something that they really didn't want at all.
I don't remember how IE treated it but at least with FF, it gives you a choice to save or run the file and you can cancel it if it isn't what you intended. ( IF you are careful and watch it ) :cop: :mad:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As I mentioned, I haven't actually clicked the button although I nearly did, but I assume that you'll get a choice. I'm not going to try though...
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:As I mentioned, I haven't actually clicked the button although I nearly did, but I assume that you'll get a choice. I'm not going to try though...
I'm sure that less careful people than you went ahead and hit the button without thinking twice and that's the whole idea behind the sneak!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, I'm sure too, and I dislike that sneakiness!
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:A big green arrow pointing to a big blue Download button.
These are part of my frustration with drivers.
So often a hit for "drivers" takes me to a page with many large blue/green arrow/buttons, and the link for the driver is in 8pt TNR font off to the lower left-hand side.
By the time I get to such a page I'm already impatient, stressed out, not thinking clearly.
It's not that I'm a sucker (OK, OK!) but that I'm worn down by the navigation so that my defenses are weakened and I'm more likely to click the biggest download button in history in desperation.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

It IS truly unfortunate that this kind of "sneak" behavior is all over the web. You follow a link for downloading something and prominently displayed at the top of the page is a "download" button or link that is NOT what you came for. Gggrrr...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

My solution to this problem is to only ever download drivers from the manufacturer's web site.

Occasionally this means that I cannot migrate an old piece of hardware to an updated PC, but it really doesn't happen that often.
StuartR