Twenty Eleven

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Twenty Eleven

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm gonna make a concerted effort to change my ways! (I've been saying, all year, "two thousand ten" instead of "twenty ten.")

Not Calling Next Year ‘Twenty Eleven’ Will Be the End of Us All

HansV
Administrator

Re: Twenty Eleven

Post by HansV »

I don't think anybody here in The Netherlands uses the Dutch equivalent of "twenty ten", and I think we'll keep on using "two thousand something" at least until 2050, perhaps until 2099.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Hmmm, interesting thoughts. So, what did you say (English equivalent) back in, for example, 1989? Did you say as most in the USA: "nineteen eighty nine?"

Obviously, I have no idea what non-English languages do for such nuances as dates.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In Dutch, we did (do) use the equivalent of "eighteen forty five" and "nineteen ninety nine". The year 2000 was "two thousand", and then somehow everyone used "two thousand one" etc. Not sure why.
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

I believe it stems from the way the first 9 years after 2000 would have sounded if spoken that way in any language. Twenty One, Twenty Two, Twenty Three, all sound like ages rather than years on a calendar.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Doc Watson wrote:Twenty One, Twenty Two, Twenty Three, all sound like ages rather than years on a calendar.
Twenty-Oh-Three sounds very similar to Nineteen-Oh-three to me, and was a perfectly reasonable way to pronounce the year.
StuartR

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

StuartR wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:Twenty One, Twenty Two, Twenty Three, all sound like ages rather than years on a calendar.
Twenty-Oh-Three sounds very similar to Nineteen-Oh-three to me, and was a perfectly reasonable way to pronounce the year.
That was 100 years ago Stuart !!! Surely what was "reasonable" then has changed. After all, the entire notion of reasonable has been turned on it's head of late. :hairout: :flee:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

HansV wrote:I don't think anybody here in The Netherlands uses the Dutch equivalent of "twenty ten", and I think we'll keep on using "two thousand something" at least until 2050, perhaps until 2099.
When 2050 comes around, I doubt that I'll have to worry about what to call it! :laugh:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:I'm gonna make a concerted effort to change my ways! (I've been saying, all year, "two thousand ten" instead of "twenty ten.")

Not Calling Next Year ‘Twenty Eleven’ Will Be the End of Us All
Twenty eleven, without a doubt. :fanfare:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I asked my kindergarten expert and she emphatically informed me "it is twenty ten, nana", so I suspect it shall be twenty eleven as well...a house divided cannot stand :evilgrin:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Curious that this subject has arisen here. We were discussing it over Christmas.

I think that the use of 'thousand' followed from going from a higher numerical value first qualifier to a lower numerical value. Somehow it is dissonant to say 'nineteen hundred ninety-nine' then saying two thousand. Nineteen is more than two? Because there is no one alive who could possibly know how the terminology shifted at the turn of the prior millennium, we can't ask for personal attestations. Who knows? I've said '2 thousand and' since Y2K went out of the popular vocabulary.

Knowing that it doesn't matter, but my mother was born in 'oh two' and my dad was born in 'ninety-four' and my grandmother in 'sixty-one' and grandfather in 'fifty-seven'. During my near-70 years, I never knew anyone - regardless what native tongue they learned - that didn't understand those terms without the 'nineteen' or the 'eighteen' being stated (or even the 'hundred').

With luck, the knowledge that my grandparents were born 150 years ago will 'blow the minds' of some of the youngsters here. :grin: And, I remember them both! (though they did die when I was quite young). Such are the blessings of longevity.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I enjoyed reading your post Bob :-) I agree wholeheartedly with you about not needing the ''eighteen" or "nineteen" to understand their ages. My granny was born in '02 and my grandfather in '96 and I always knew how old they were (until they weren't) lol. I never knew anyone whose grandparents were born 150 years ago!!!!! Congratulations on your longevity~!!~~!

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hey Jude wrote:I enjoyed reading your post Bob :-) I agree wholeheartedly with you about not needing the ''eighteen" or "nineteen" to understand their ages. My granny was born in '02 and my grandfather in '96 and I always knew how old they wehttp://www.woodworkslive.com/index.php/board,2.0.htmlre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (until they weren't) lol. I never knew anyone whose grandparents were born 150 years ago!!!!! Congratulations on your longevity~!!~~!
Hey Jude!

Having grandparents born so long ago requires longevity in my progenitors, too. My Dad, the youngest of 6, was born after his father passed 40. I was born, the youngest of 9, when my Dad was past 48; so I had nearly a 90 year head start. :grin: As for me, my next birth anniversary will by my 69th.

I was true to the tradition. My daughter, the one and only offspring, was born when I was 41 (after 22 years of marriage). Her maternal grandparents were the age of my oldest siblings. Her maternal great-grandparents were the age of my parents. As the age of procreation is pushed later and later in life (as seems to be a trend in the modern world), greater time lapse between generations will accrue.

You'd be surprised how many people dismiss the possibility of such age separation in generations. All my life I've told people that my grandparents (paternal) were born before the Civil War started and received the reaction that it was impossible (the inference being, therefore, that I must be a liar). Of course, that was after I had previously told them that my great-grandmother was a man. (Actually she was a Mann, as were her father and grandfather.) Humor (or what passes for it coming from me) sometimes results in losing all one's credibility.

Happy New Year!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Here's an article about the way of saying dates.

As I recall (viz. badly), one of the BBC Radio 4 Newsreaders (Charlotte Green, Harriet Cass or Corrie Corfield) decided at the start of 2000 that twenty-nn would be the way of pronouncing the current year, rather than two thousand and n, for continuity with the previous century, pronounced universally nineteen ninety-eight, or similar. Unfortunately I cannot find a reference to this excellent newsreading decision!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

BobH wrote:
Of course, that was after I had previously told them that my great-grandmother was a man. (Actually she was a Mann, as were her father and grandfather.) Humor (or what passes for it coming from me) sometimes results in losing all one's credibility.

Happy New Year!
I'm not sure how this link got put into your quote from me, but I don't find it in my original posting :-) http://www.woodworkslive.com/index.php/board,2.0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was briefly related to a Mann family, so wondering about this one......

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

WhoopS!!!

Must have got that link in there somehow with my phat phingering. Sorry!

My maternal grandmother was an Upchurch and her mother was a Mann of Wake County, NC. Cannot recall the given names of her or her father at the moment. Will take some digging in my family history records.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

It's ok, I like wood working too :-)

♥¸¸.☆*´¸.☆*´ღ`*☆.¸`*☆.¸¸♥¸¸.☆*´¸.☆*´
★[̲̅̅H̲̅][̲̅̅A̲̅][̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅]★[̲̅̅N̲̅][̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅W̲̅]★[̲̅̅Y̲̅][̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅A̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅]★
♥¸¸.☆*´¸.☆*´ღ`*☆.¸`*☆.¸¸♥¸¸.☆*´¸.☆*