The Medusa Nebula

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

The Medusa Nebula

Post by Graeme »

The Medusa Nebula is a dim target and was never going to be a prize winner sitting as it does low to the south above the Medway Towns light pollution. But it was a good test for what I can see in that part of the sky. Aka SH2-274, Stellarium oddly has Abell 21 listed as a cluster of galaxies in Andromeda! The Medusa Nebula is a planetary nebula in the constellation of Gemini.

I managed five hours of LRGB exposures which I whittled down to four after blinking out the wind gusts and CGX guiding quirks. All at 240 seconds, Captured in NINA. Processed in PixInsight.

Medusa_Nebula_02_EL.jpg

Graeme
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

HansV
Administrator

Re: The Medusa Nebula

Post by HansV »

Excellent!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I hope there isn't intelligent life in the nebula, they might take issue with being called dim.

Impressive photo though!

Ken

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Not probable since the Main Sequence star that was at the centre would have burnt up any potential life supporting planets as it expanded into a Red Giant. The planetary nebula is the result of the outer layers of the Red Giant continuing to expand into space and glowing due to the heat of the White Dwarf dying ember at its centre. 😀

Graeme
Last edited by Graeme on 18 Feb 2024, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Snakes alive! What a great image.

Thanks, Graeme.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs