When you're not sure which suffix to use

HansV
Administrator

When you're not sure which suffix to use

Post by HansV »

Suffixes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: When you're not sure which suffix to use

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 10:19
Suffixes.jpg
I bet they don't have this sort of problem in Suffolk!
Yes, Felixstowe is in the news again ... and spell-check tells me that Firefox doesn't know about Felixstowe!

Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Why pick on Suffolk?

Oh wait, I get it, it was quicker to do that and hijack this topic than to start a new one about the drunk captain.

:evilgrin:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 16:56
Oh wait, I get it, it was quicker to do that and hijack this topic than to start a new one about the drunk captain.
I was in a hurry this morning.
And the captain wasn't drunk. He was (he wrote, absentmindedly straying back on topic) 3 shts to the wnd.

Chrs, Chrs. :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Maybe the streets name is Saint Road? 😋
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

We have a similar thing in the Medway Towns area.

Screenshot 2024-01-23 101952.png

Not sure why the hair dressers were all attracted to the area?

Graeme
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Graeme wrote:
23 Jan 2024, 10:24
Not sure why the hair dressers were all attracted to the area?
In 1958 during a short-lived local council budget kerfuffle the sign-writers conducted a sabotage campaign. The avenue :evilgrin: was previously known as "Brilliantine Avenue".
Cheers, Chris
P.S. and being where it was, most customers asked for a medway parting of the hair. C

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

The windows of our condo look upon a busy thoroughfare named "Street Road". There is, however, only one -- not 19 or more.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

OK, I'll confess to having followed OMG's link only to discover that Suffolk is a ceremonial county in the UK.

Is this one of those British habits of clinging on to old ways for the sake of the monarchy? Why have a ceremonial county?

Us slow 'Murricanes just don't get it. :scratch:

How many counties (shires?; what happened to that term?) are there in England (not the UK, just England)? Texas has 254 with seats in towns approximately a day's ride (on horseback) apart; roughly 85 miles (147km).
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

As a Brit, I'd never heard of a ceremonial county. However, a quick search finds this page:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceremonia ... of_England
that explains them, but perhaps not in a way that an American might be able to follow since it all stems from the days when our monarch really did rule and our Parliament wasn't what it is today.

These days we only think of counties as areas that have local councils that deal with local issues (including but not limited to bin collections, police and fire services, social care provision). Most of the boundaries of these local authorities match those of the ceremonial and shrieval counties. Where they differ are that some cities act as their own local authority. For example, the city of York and some of the surrounding area is a local authority in its own right, and it's not part the local authority of North Yorkshire, which completely surrounds it. There's more detail here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_gov ... in_England

In that context, while Suffolk is a ceremonial county, I doubt many people who live there will know who the Lord-lieutenant of Suffolk is (or that there even such a beast) but they will have a thing or too to say about their local county council. We won't explore that further though, lest we fall foul of the 'no politics' rule.

I like Suffolk. Once upon a time I worked in that part of the UK.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Ken. So a ceremonial county is a vestige of the days of monarchy.

Our hierarchical organization of government includes counties, towns/cities, states and finally the nation. I'm not certain that counties function here as you describe they do in the UK. For example, our counties incorporate what I would describe as rural communities and rarely are involved in much more than taxation and law enforcement. There are county-wide social services, too, as a rule. If there are organized services, such as water, sewer, and trash collection, I'm not aware of it. Usually such services are publicly provided by towns/cities. Where there are towns/cities, public services extend to water and sewer service, law enforcement, fire protection, street maintenance, and recreation facilities (parks and playgrounds). Normally, where a town/city provides a service, the county does not. Counties typically do not provide law enforcement services in cities and towns except in limited cases.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
27 Jan 2024, 20:43
Thanks, Ken. So a ceremonial county is a vestige of the days of monarchy...
Not really a vestige, ceremonial counties still exist today. Our monarch still has Lord-Lieutenants and High Sheriffs and they do have duties pertaining to the monarchy but they don't have anything to do with local government. However, the land to which these figures are appointed have boundaries that coincide with local government boundaries. The exceptions to these common boundaries are some cities, where the local government of those cities are like an island within the ceremonial county in which they sit.

For example, York is within the (ceremonial) county of North Yorkshire but it's local government is completely separate from the local government of North Yorkshire. This means that if you travel from outside the county of North Yorkshire into the centre of York you will cross two local government boundaries but only one ceremonial county boundary. You cross the first as you enter the ceremonial and local govt' boundary of North Yorkshire then the second as you cross the local gov't boundary as you approach the outskirts of York.

Still confused? That's OK, I guess not many Brits ever bother to think about this sort of level of detail as they set off for a day out in York.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Ken, how many counties (not the ceremonial kind) exist in England (not the UK) today?

Is the term shire, still in use at all?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
28 Jan 2024, 18:17
Ken, how many counties (not the ceremonial kind) exist in England (not the UK) today?
Uncle Bob, when will you Texas rebels just let go of the interest in monarchy and get used to living in your model democracy? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Cheers, your loving nephew :king:
Chris

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

BobH wrote:
...how many counties (not the ceremonial kind) exist in England (not the UK) today?
63 Unitary Authorities and 21 shire counties
BobH wrote:
see above
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
...Is the term shire, still in use at all?
Yes but only really as a collective noun for rural counties.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I just love the wording of this: "Council functions were divided according to the level at which they could be practised most efficiently. ... Responsibility for recreation and cultural matters was divided between the two tiers."
This gives me the impression of "We will divide responsibilities, but share them".

Then there is "England does not have its own devolved parliament ..."

Cheers, Chris

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

It's a bit mad. Especially with so little funding
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
29 Jan 2024, 13:13
It's a bit mad. Especially with so little funding
Stuart, is this perhaps a relic of a security hangover from the days in WW2 when all the road signs were unscrewed, milestones buried, ...?
Thanks, Chris

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

:laugh:
StuartR