The four+ seasonings

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

The four+ seasonings

Post by GeoffW »

It's not just winter/summer etc which vary between countries.
How do you reduce a national flavour to a powder?

And on the subject of season/ings, there is always PDQ Bach
The Seasonings

HansV
Administrator

Re: The four+ seasonings

Post by HansV »

I had read that article about seasoning houses. Fascinating.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I also found that article very interesting, but there was no mention of that greatly-missed crisp flavour: Bovril!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

The closest flavour we have to Bovril would be Vegemite - and there was briefly a vegemite flavoured one a few years ago
https://mumbrella.com.au/kraft-and-smit ... hips-57273

While they are called chips in Australia, I think of them as crisps, though I rarely est them.anyway. The things that are served with fish are "hot chips". I do eat those, much more than I should

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

GeoffW wrote:
12 Dec 2023, 00:11
And on the subject of season/ings, there is always PDQ Bach
OMG Geoff! Thanks for the reminder. I haven't thought of PDQ Bach in ... [more fingers and toes than I have] years! It was lovely to have a refresher course and a good laugh, too.

:xgrin:
Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

I have enjoyed PDQ Bach myself in the past, but many years ago. I was buying LP records.

I have been to a live PDQ Bach performance with Professor Peter Shickele with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra at the Sydney Opera House. It was a fun concert.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

GeoffW wrote:
12 Dec 2023, 20:17
The closest flavour we have to Bovril would be Vegemite...
Marmite crisps still exist over here (for example in my local huge Sainsbury's but not in my local huge Tesco) but they are a pale shadow of the mighty Bovril! :sad:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Bovril I believe wasn't available in Australia for quite some time, as it contained beef, and therefore potentially, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, aka mad cow disease.

I lived in England from 1988 to 1990, during the height of the mad cow affair. This year marked the first year since that time that I was allowed to donate blood in Australia.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

GeoffW wrote:
13 Dec 2023, 08:05
Bovril I believe wasn't available in Australia for quite some time, as it contained beef, and therefore potentially, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, aka mad cow disease.

I lived in England from 1988 to 1990, during the height of the mad cow affair. This year marked the first year since that time that I was allowed to donate blood in Australia.
Sometime in that time period, myself and my Virology consultant were flown to London to a sponsored conference by a large MultiNat diagnostic reagent company. We navigated our way from Heathrow to a large hotel overlooking Hyde Park and arrived in time to attend the afternoon lecture on prions and mad cows. This included the usual horrifying slides of sectioned brains with diseased bits. Then we found our rooms, unpacked and changed for dinner (I put on a tie...).

Dinner was roast beef, served in the English style (it Moos when you cut it and the blood is hard to get out of your tie). The hotel caterers couldn't understand why they got full plates back after the meal...

PS I'm Scottish, I like my food decently dead (except for haggis, that's best served freshly caught.)
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
13 Dec 2023, 08:05
... that I was allowed to donate blood in Australia.
Similar story here. I was in, and back and forth to the UK 1977-1970 and Canada has, I believe, just this year relaxed its stance.
I used to donate plasma on demand, because I worked from home, the Red Cross (in those days) could 'phone me before the first shift and ask if I could lend an arm for the second shift (2pm). I complied eagerly because they let donors watch a movie. For Free!
Then Canada got itself into the Tainted Blood Scandal and my blood, while apparently doing me no harm, was unsuitable for others.
Cheers, Chris :stop: :nurse:
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
16 Dec 2023, 05:25
Then Canada got itself into the Tainted Blood Scandal and my blood, while apparently doing me no harm, was unsuitable for others.
Cheers, Chris :stop: :nurse:
Of course, being a person of high risk.

From that article
It became apparent that inadequately-screened blood, often coming from high-risk populations, was entering the system through blood transfusions.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
16 Dec 2023, 06:05
From that article
It became apparent that inadequately-screened blood, often coming from high-risk populations, was entering the system through blood transfusions.
The whole business was weird.
Sometime in 1998 Canadian Blood Services (replaced the Red Cross Blood services, but same ground staff in the clinics) sent me a form letter advising that "In September, new testing procedures and donation restrictions will be in force, so please make an effort to come in and donate before that date" struck me as odd, and (being me!) I entered into a conversation with the letter-writer.
Given the terrific hoo-hah at the time, to me it seemed irresponsible that the NEW all-singing all-dancing agency would encourage folks who had lived in the UK to donate before they were banned from donating!

Go Figure. :scratch:
Cheers, Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

jonwallace wrote:
16 Dec 2023, 00:26
PS I'm Scottish, I like my food decently dead (except for haggis, that's best served freshly caught.)
Do you eat it only during the haggis hunting season, or do you get it freshly frozen during other times? :innocent:
Best wishes,
Hans

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

https://darachcroft.com/news/haggis-hun ... and-tricks

[attachment=0]endangered.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I am visiting a friend on New Year's Day for lunch of haggis, neeps and tatties.
I expect this to be a new taste sensation...
John Gray

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

HansV wrote:
16 Dec 2023, 08:44
jonwallace wrote:
16 Dec 2023, 00:26
Do you eat it only during the haggis hunting season, or do you get it freshly frozen during other times? :innocent:
You can freeze dry it, but then it has the consistency of a mealie pudding in a sheep's intestine. :innocent:
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

:laugh: :laugh:
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
16 Dec 2023, 11:03
I am visiting a friend on New Year's Day for lunch of haggis, neeps and tatties.
I expect this to be a new taste sensation...
I shall refrain from asking if this is the first time your friend has been a contributor to a Haggis. :evilgrin:
Likewise your tastes are said to be ineffable. :munch:
Cheers, Chris

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Does ineffable mean that you don't give an eff?