OAS Star Party

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

OAS Star Party

Post by Graeme »

A couple of weeks ago I was invited to join the Orpington Astronomical Society Deep Sky Star Party at a dark site in the depths of East Sussex. It's been a while since I've been camping but I thought I would give it a go! The sky was dark enough to see the band of the Milky Way and quite mind blowing.

I didn't want to take my main telescope because the mount is still messing about. So I took my old colour astro camera, put a Canon lens on the front of it and mounted them on a fixed tripod. This arrangement doesn't track the rotation of the Earth so I was limited to 30 second exposures.

I captured an hour's worth of the Summer Triangle, or at least Vega and Deneb in Lyra and Cygnus. 43 were cloud free and worth stacking. There are a lot of stacking artifacts but I was quite pleased to have captured an image of this section of the Milky Way!

Summer Triangle_EL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

HansV
Administrator

Re: OAS Star Party

Post by HansV »

Well done!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Looks impressive, especially as it sounds like you were using a makeshift setup.

:thumbup:

Ken

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Thanks Hans

And Thanks Ken

The setup was a bit Heath Robinson! But the Canon lens was attached to the camera with a manufactured adapter and they were mounted on the tripod with a manufactured bracket albeit with stability improved with zip ties!

My report of the event is here. If anyone has too much time on their hands today!

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Graeme wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 07:31
...anyone has too much time on their hands...
That would be me.

Yesterday I found myself pressure washing the brick-weave paving at the end of our drive. Even as I was doing it I was thinking, "How pointless an activity is this? You've lived here over 20 years and never bothered to do it before and it didn't look that bad before you started." But I had started :stupidme: so I had to finish.

Ken

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

You've been watching too many "brick pavior pressure washing" videos on YouTube!
They always seem to end in tears...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...