Stay safe Chris

Post by GeoffW »

This is going quite close to your place, by the look
https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4782128 ... urce=mlapk

HansV
Administrator

Re: Stay safe Chris

Post by HansV »

It currently looks like it will miss Bonavista. I do hope Chris will be safe, of course.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

I've been reading https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2023 ... va-scotia/. Although the storm's eye will likely pass to the west of Bonavista, there could be winds gusting to 100 km/hour in Chris's area. I hope he's safe and has plenty of fuel for the generator.

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

I see Nigel following close behind, but, luckily for those in the NW Atlantic coast like Chris, it appears to be heading for a track that's even further east. Like Jay said, there can still be high winds far from the center of the storms, so always be prepared and keep loose items to a minimum.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Thank you all for your concerns. I am safe, also snug, secure, sere, steamy and sultry. As I type at 0730 the indoor temperature is at 20c (5.1834 miles in the USA) because it’s been sitting at that Lo! These past few days. David and I sat in his almost-finished garage yesterday afternoon and he remarked that the wind was getting up, which I took as a hint that our conversation was over and so I got up and went home.
I slept with one of my new bedroom windows half-open last night. The winds went up to the 40Km mark according to Ventusky, but all in all this seems – for us here in Bonavista - to be a repeat of Fiona, one year ago.
The eye appears to have channeled right up the Minas basin, which should have stopped the tidal bore being boring in Moncton (although it is spectacular on the Hebert River)
GeoffW This is going quite close to your place, by the look
Lee appears to have traveled up our west coast, as did Fiona. Newfoundland, remember, is congruent with Tasmania, (and Iceland) in size, coastal settlement and internal wilderness and, I think, population. Shaped as an equilateral triangle, about 700Km on each side.
HansV It currently looks like it will miss Bonavista. I do hope Chris will be safe, of course.
Spot on. I had a bit of laundry on the line yesterday and took it in well after sunset.
Jay Freedman I've been reading https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2023 ... va-scotia/. Although the storm's eye will likely pass to the west of Bonavista, there could be winds gusting to 100 km/hour in Chris's area. I hope he's safe and has plenty of fuel for the generator.
The maximum gust reported yesterday is as yet unreported, but when it is reported it will appear here.

I think the major impact that hurricane reporting from the USA is that the deadly eye of a hurricane, while exceeding strong(1) is relatively narrow compared to the area of the storm itself as it gathers energy from the Atlantic Ocean.
Suppose we define the deadly eye as being 100 Km across. (Define “deadly”, define “eye” etc). Winds of 100Km/hour cutting across anywhere on the eastern seaboard will affect millions of people. Two days later, the storm having weakened significantly, its eye travels the Gulf of St Lawrence, and there meets a sparse population.

The population density is not related to the impact of winds or rain. Three inches of rain is three inches of rain whether you live in Pensacola or the back of a pickup truck on Crown Land outside Marrawah.
These storms make landfall at the south-east corner of the USA, and that is a big news item. I believe that the news item makes an impact on people around the world, including members of Eileen’s Lounge who monitor world affairs. The impact of a storm having been made in people’s minds, it remains in people’s minds as a Major Storm, even as it weakens, and no matter where it goes.
Whatever. I am grateful for your concerns, because for several years now I have been waiting to trot out the phrase “the storm passed to the leeward of us”.

Cheers, Chris
(1) I was taught that the energy in a moving fluid is proportional to the cube of the velocity of that fluid.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 14:36
The maximum gust reported yesterday is as yet unreported,
Untitled.png
There we go. A maximum gust of 80KM/hr from SSSW (190 degrees)
I suppose then that the winds were around 50K/hr when not gusting, so, steamy air from the Gulf Stream, which was why yesterday was such a Foine(1) Die, as people kept remarking in Foodland.
Cheers, Chris
(1) Not to be confused with a föhn day C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle