Scientists detected in London

HansV
Administrator

Scientists detected in London

Post by HansV »

A headline from The Guardian:

S2428.png

I didn't know that London has a surveillance program to detect scientists...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Scientists detected in London

Post by stuck »

:laugh:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I guess more people noticed it, for the headline has been changed in the meantime:

S2429.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:laugh: - again!

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I bet that in other languages that word order would have been perfectly correct and ordinary.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The Grauniad used to be famous for garbled headlines, but this one is just poor sub-editing
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

In the US we'd suspect the editor of having ESL (English as a second language).
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
18 Aug 2023, 18:36
'
The Grauniad used to be famous for garbled headlines, but this one is just poor sub-editing
But, but (sputters), this isn't even a sentence, let alone a paragraph, so isn't it just sub-par editing?
:scratch: Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Having had little or no exposure or experience with UK news outlets, can someone please suggest to me which are good ones and which are poor? Better yet a list of news outlets rated from best to worst would help me a lot.
:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

For accuracy and unbiased reporting, BBC is probably regarded as amongst the best.

But what you choose to read will probably depend on n your own point of view to start with.

I tend to go for The Guardian. It rates well for accuracy, and I like its centre left leaning, and seems to cover a more broad spectrum of news. It covers news (in various editions) in Australia and the US as well as the UK.

In Australia, I read mostly abc.net.au/news as well as The Guardian - but I also like to get a view from other sources as well.

There are some media outlets which are good, but which are behind a paywall. If I was going to read from all good outlets, I'd be spending a fortune.

Mediabiasfactscheck.com is a good view of media sites (anywhere in the world), rating each media outlet for accuracy and political leaning.

I don't place much trust in news stories that the social media give me.

Edit: there's a good overview of public trust in the British media here
Last edited by GeoffW on 19 Aug 2023, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Of course, there was the rundown of the media given in Yes Prime Minister, a comedy series from the 70s. Jim Hacker is the prime minister, Sir Humphrey Appleby his Permanent Secretary (head of department).

Sir Humphrey: "The only way to understand the Press is to remember that they pander to their readers' prejudices."

Jim Hacker: "Don't tell me about the Press. I know *exactly* who reads the papers. The Daily Mirror is read by the people who think they run the country. The Guardian is read by people who think they *ought* to run the country. The Times is read by the people who actually *do* run the country. The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country. The Financial Times is read by people who *own* the country. The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by *another* country. The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who think it is."

Sir Humphrey: "Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?"

Bernard Woolley (Hacker's Principal Private Secretary): "Sun readers don't care *who* runs the country - as long as she's got big t*** !"

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Geoff!

I have a vague recollection of The Sun having an interesting page 3. Do I recall that correctly?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

BobH wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 00:53
Thanks, Geoff!

I have a vague recollection of The Sun having an interesting page 3. Do I recall that correctly?
That's correct. Sometimes there were bumps on page 1.

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

GeoffW wrote:
18 Aug 2023, 23:10
For accuracy and unbiased reporting, BBC is probably regarded as amongst the best.

But what you choose to read will probably depend on n your own point of view to start with.

I tend to go for The Guardian. It rates well for accuracy, and I like its centre left leaning, and seems to cover a more broad spectrum of news. It covers news (in various editions) in Australia and the US as well as the UK......

The Independent is quite unbiased too.

But my first place to go for news is always https://www.universetoday.com/138303/un ... aser-cain/

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
18 Aug 2023, 21:47
... can someone please suggest to me which are good ones and which are poor? ...
"Good" and "poor" are subjective measures, so here are my subjective views:-
Back when the only three newspapers in town were on Real Paper I paid for subscriptions to two journals. Now that so many papers are competing for my attention i mindlessly think that ***I*** am doing THEM a favour by reading them, so that ***they*** should pay ME to read them; Or at least, not charge me for reading them. Free is what I am after.
Untitled.png
(1) My system reboots each morning into Firefox where I “Open all in Tabs” to check who needs my help, and where, and doing what.

(2) The Australian ABC site seems to tell me news a full day ahead of CNN, and I suspect that this has at least two reasons (a) the sun rises many hours ahead of most other places in the world and (b) Isolated as she is, she seeks to keep her people informed of what goes on in the world.

(3) The BBC/BBC UK sources were good until a couple of weeks ago when their subscription prompt could not be dismissed with a quick <F5-Refresh> key. Now that popup will not go away, at least, would not go away on my now-dead Win11 HP15. Since last Thursday when I returned to this Win7 laptop, the popups do not appear at all, at all. Why?

(4) Current Services is for an old man checking to see who has died recently on the Peninsula. Four people I have known, so far, since 2019.

(5) Google news looks for “Bonavista”, but I have added “-Saltwire” to the bookmark since Saltwire stopped showing news without a subscription.

(6) WA news usually has about four times as many articles as SA news, but then Western Australia is pumping out so much money that there is a surplus of business claims every day. WA news usually points to something good about science from my Alma Mater.

(7) CNN as noted above is usually behind the times. CNN videos on my LGK30 Android phone take too long to load, and I no longer bother trying to load them.

I hope this helps.
Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Graeme wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 05:27
But my first place to go for news is always https://www.universetoday.com/138303/un ... aser-cain/
I like Fraser's reporting and interviews -- and his weekly sessions where he answers (sometimes weird) questions -- so much that I (gasp) paid money at Patreon. Now I get a half dozen or more emails per week with links to his videos.

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Jay Freedman wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 15:31
Graeme wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 05:27
I like Fraser's reporting and interviews -- and his weekly sessions where he answers (sometimes weird) questions -- so much that I (gasp) paid money at Patreon. Now I get a half dozen or more emails per week with links to his videos.

But no adverts, for life! No, I mean no adverts for ever, no wait, I mean no adverts for anything!

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

GeoffW wrote:
18 Aug 2023, 23:10
Unless you're Scottish. :scotland:
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

BobH wrote:
18 Aug 2023, 21:47
Having had little or no exposure or experience with UK news outlets, can someone please suggest to me which are good ones and which are poor?
If you are looking for truly independent reporting - i.e. not the MSM* - then I can recommend Byline Times

* MainStream Media
Leif

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Leif wrote:
24 Aug 2023, 08:02
...looking for truly independent reporting...
But independent does not equate to unbiased.