Google Maps: Anomaly in floating directions

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Google Maps: Anomaly in floating directions

Post by ChrisGreaves »

(see also "Google Maps: Anomaly in driving directions")
Not that I am one to complain, but after my friend from 1990, Sandy, wrote me "I am going on A Rhine Viking River Cruise Aug 26...could not resist as flight and cruise all in is only $2450" I hied me to Google Maps to check it out.
Untitled2.jpg
According to Google maps one cannot cruise up the Rhine, nor down it, either (I tried switching the start and end points).

To make things worse, I reached page 215 of Charles Neider's book "The selected letters of Mark Twain" earlier this rain-swept day, and (attached) Mark Twain writes (Sep 28, 1891) that they got lost going DOWN the Rhine. As I understand it the Rhine is a glacial valley, steep sides. How can you get lost? The old pilot of the Mississippi with its currents, shifting sandbars, oxbow lakes and so on sailed down the wrong side of an island and so saw none of the beautiful towns on the other side.

If anyone here has an email for the captain of this Rhine River cruise, please PM me. He ought to be warned ahead of time.

Me, I'd recommend she stay in Amsterdam and meet up with my friend Hans. HE provides all-day tram tickets for free. Only downside is he might not remember where we had coffee the last time we met, so that Sandy could reclaim my little notebook that I left on the bench outside, dazzled, as I was, by the canals.

Today is blustery, rainy, and chilly. The time is 1500 and the temperature is 14c. I am wearing a long-sleeved shirt and sweater. It is warmer by one degree in Perth WA right now, but there it is 1 a.m. in mid-winter!

Back to bed, me, under the covers with a good book and a grilled-cheese sandwich!
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Google Maps: Anomaly in floating directions

Post by HansV »

Just one different vowel and you end up in Avignon instead of in Basel...

It's rainy and 14°C here too, by the way. It has rained all day, over 40 mm (1.6 inch) in total. At least, I do not need to water the plants outside.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Wanna make a trade?

It's 100°F (38°C) outside my door today and dryer than a pan in the middle of Saharan sun. Our water supply lake has dropped below 60% capacity. This is the worst drought I've witnessed in my 30 years in Texas.

Send rain and I'll send sunshine. :grin:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
06 Aug 2023, 18:44
Just one different vowel and you end up in Avignon instead of in Basel...
Good Point, Hans!
Could even be a children's song in there "On the point about Avignon"
It's rainy and 14°C here too, by the way. It has rained all day, over 40 mm (1.6 inch) in total. At least, I do not need to water the plants outside.
Nor, I'm thinking, do the canals need a quick refill. As if the Rhine wasn't doing its job already.

Thank you. It cheers me no end to know that somewhere else someone I know, like me, is considering frenched fries for supper ... :yum:

Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
06 Aug 2023, 19:18
Wanna make a trade?
yes! Yes!! YES!!!
YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!
It's 100°F (38°C) outside my door today and dryer than a pan in the middle of Saharan sun. Our water supply lake has dropped below 60% capacity. This is the worst drought I've witnessed in my 30 years in Texas. Send rain and I'll send sunshine. :grin:
Have you considered drinking less water and drinking more beer? Water conservation is a lively topic nowadays. Jump on the band wagon ....

Especially for you, Bob!
Your loving nephew, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

(Trying to stay within a one-year resurrection of posts to a thread ...)
Turns out that if you travel by train in Google Maps, you can't add a destination.
Untitled.png
Untitled2.png
Although it may be that this is a unique facet of travelling from Sydney to Dubbo by XPT.
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 19:09
(Trying to stay within a one-year resurrection of posts to a thread ...)
Turns out that if you travel by train in Google Maps, you can't add a destination.
Untitled.pngUntitled2.pngAlthough it may be that this is a unique facet of travelling from Sydney to Dubbo by XPT.
Cheers, Chris
(later) heh-heh!
Untitled3.png

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
06 Aug 2023, 18:10
...According to Google maps one cannot cruise up the Rhine, nor down it, either (I tried switching the start and end points)...
Wow! Impressive :hailpraise: You've actually found something that Google does not know about! You certainly can cruise up and down the Rhine. I know this because, somehow, my address is in a river cruise company's marketing database so we get sent brochures at regular intervals.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
07 Dec 2023, 10:42
... You certainly can cruise up and down the Rhine. I know this because, somehow, my address is in a river cruise company's marketing database so we get sent brochures at regular intervals.
Well Ken, OK. Next time you get a brochure, look for Sandy. I don't know whether she'll be on an upwardly mobile boat, or one going downhill. She is an attractive lady, ...
Cheers, Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
07 Dec 2023, 11:44
...Next time you get a brochure...
Better still, sign up yourself :evilgrin:
https://www.vikingrivercruises.co.uk/br ... _type=link

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

CC_Longships_Wurzburg_Marienberg_TALL_731x904.jpg
stuck wrote:
07 Dec 2023, 13:20
Better still, sign up yourself :evilgrin:
Nah!
I'd go berserk, trapped on a boat in the middle of a river with a thousand strangers and very few readable books.
Day after day gliding past small rural villages with no chance to stroll the streets chatting with the locals, practicing my French, German, or Spanish (the closest I can get to Rhenish).
Then nighttime, for me bed time, surrounded by nightclubbing Raucasians(1) and shops with expensive baubles, one-of-a-kind, manufactured in China.

I still have about 900 books to read through from this year's haul of Discards from the Clarenville library :hairout:

(1) People who practice raucousness

Cheers, Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
07 Dec 2023, 13:44
...trapped on a boat...
These boats do stop en-route so you can disembark and stroll round some of the towns on the riverside. However doing that means you have to suffer an annoyance not included in your tirade. Namely, the stench of diesel exhaust fumes on the quayside as you wait to embark after your stroll around a town.

Which reminds me, there's other annoyance you didn't list, the constant background drone of the engines.

Hope this helps,

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
07 Dec 2023, 14:41
... you can disembark and stroll round some of the towns on the riverside.
Ah yes! I have fond memories of Prince Rupert and of Ketchikan, where three thousand funnily-dressed people descend on the town and flood the main street for three hours, annoying everyone except the local owners of trinket shops.
Then in the blink of an eye, the shops close up, the streets are quiet, and the huge wall at the end of the street has glided away.
Which reminds me, there's other annoyance you didn't list, the constant background drone of the engines.
Oh that would be OK. I'd close my eyes and dream I was back in Bonavista with the sound of my neighbours' chain-saws garnering the harvest for us winter fires! :snore:
Cheers, Chris