You know it is a good day to stay indoors when ...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

You know it is a good day to stay indoors when ...

Post by ChrisGreaves »

... you sprinkle a cup of road salt onto your driveway and the wind blows them all on to the lawn within ten seconds.
Right now winds are at 90Km/h, predicted to go to 120KM/h later today.
We have had eight days with gusts above 80KM/h already, two of those days at 98 KM/h :yikes:

You can see how close we came to 120Km/h by checking this page on Tuesday morning; unless it has been blown away! (Tuesday: We reached 120Km/h, so our honour is satisfied)

I shall spend some time today admiring my completed working model of Newfoundand's entire railway system. :stop:
Cheers, Chris
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 22 Nov 2022, 11:48, edited 2 times in total.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: You know it is a good day to stay indoors when ...

Post by HansV »

Stay safe!
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 12:12
Stay safe!
I shall. It is the start of National Pumpkin Flesh Bottling Week. Eight of the 22 pumpkins I gave away in October came back to me, so my kitchen smells like a truck rollover on The Pumpkin Highway.
I was in greatest danger at 9am when I stutter-stepped ten feet down the driveway to toss road-salt.
Cheers, Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Pumpkin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Be careful on that ice!

Chris, you are one of a kind, and I mean that kindly. The world would be much dimmer without your light.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 03:49
Chris, you are one of a kind, and I mean that kindly. The world would be much dimmer without your light.
Charming! And yesterday the little light above my kitchen sink-counter went on the blink, literally, strobing my actions towards pumpkins with my heaviest and sharpest knife. I am too cheap to buy a replacement light knowing that I have three drawers of electrical stuff in the shed and it makes no sense to me to spend cash on something when I feel sure that I have something that will "do the job", once I have cleared out the shed enough to gain access to that chest of drawers. Maybe next April.

So much for light.
Yesterday's data is now available and we reached 120. Exactly. Is there a mid-level manager somewhere trying to achieve a bonus-incentive for accuracy in forecasting? Surely not ... :flee:

I note that our minimum maximum gust this month is 47 Km/h, and 120 Km/h is about 2.55 times that, so the energy hitting my house yesterday was about sixteen times that on October 11th. No wonder this old house creaked throughout the day. I might say that it sounded as creaky as any wooden sailing ship I've been in, had I ever been in a wooden sailing ship.

Finally ( :clapping: ) to your compliment. Credit where credit is due:
I was blessed with four high-school teachers who opened my mind: Mr DeKurloi (Geography), Mr Puzey (Physics), Mr Crosby (Chemistry) and Mr Brian Feld, our form teacher and mentor in Maths A (Algebra & Calculus) and Maths B (Geometry and Trigonometry). He it was who made us memorize our log and trig tables (at ten-degree intervals) so that we could calculate solutions in our head, no matter where we were or how we were occupied at any time.
I say that those four gave me the keys to the Universe, although I did not know that at that time.

Cheers, Chris