For Chris: Tourism in Newfoundland

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: For Chris: Tourism in Newfoundland

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Thanks Hans. I picked this up yesterday.
:ranton: The article does not tell the whole truth, a bit like our Mayor, a great booster of the town (as is this article), but with a tendency to omit relevant facts.

in the first place "Tourism" in Bonavista - and in Newfoundland anywhere outside the city of St John's (on The Avalon Peninsula) - is a four-month affair June-September. So when the headline reads "tourism", that is but one-third of the year right there.

"which revives their struggling communities": Yesterday afternoon I met with a local bank representative to present a year-round educational scheme to develop businesses in Bonavista (now up to 19 businesses and growing). She agreed that tourism was doing nothing for the town, except enabling residents to suck on the government teat.

In 1992 the Cod Moratorium introduced a financial scheme that is in force to this day: As long as you work for four months in any year, you can claim unemployment benefits for eight months. The bank manager works full-time - 12 months a year - and you work 4 months a year at the fish plant. between us 16 months, and average of 8 months each.
8/12 is 4/6, and we can agree that anyone who tries to run a six-cylinder car on four cylinders is going to wreck the engine and possibly the transmission too.

Newfoundland is a 6-cylinder car running on 4 cylinders.

People here have given up. Anyone 40 years or younger has lived their life in the belief that you only have to work 4 months a year.
I arrived with $28,000 cash available for work on my house, and after two years gave up trying to find a local tradesman for carpentry, plumbing, electrical work etc. Local tradesman, even unemployed, are leery of working beyond four months in any year because "I would lose me hours", that is, the 8 months entitlement. The fish plant operates by awarding four-month contracts and thus everyone can have a nibble, each in turn. :rantoff:

Make no mistake; I stand by my statements that I have never felt this consistently happy in my life. Bonavista is a wonderful town to live in. But many published articles do not tell the whole truth.

Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Chris: in "cod moratorium", it is pleasingly appropriate that a British slang meaning of "cod" is "sham" or "mock"! (Usually observed as "cod Latin")
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 19:39
Chris: in "cod moratorium", it is pleasingly appropriate that a British slang meaning of "cod" is "sham" or "mock"! (Usually observed as "cod Latin")
Hi Roger; I recall too Nigel Molesworth's grace "This piece of cod, which passeth all understanding"! :read:
Cheers, Shirley

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Actually, not "this piece of code" but the more general "the piece of cod"...!
One must quote Molesworth korrektly!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 15:44
One must quote Molesworth korrektly!
Well :jollyroger:, it's a jolly good thing that one must; that way, both of us need not. :grin:
Cheers, shirley

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

FWIW the article appeared this morning under a new title.
Untitled.png
Whether this is a devious re-branding, or a slip of the fingers while creating a hyperlink, only time will tell
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

There again, Llandegley International seems feasible, $25,000 over 20 years is certainly within our budget.
Mine even!
Cheers, Chris
PS check out the last image; touching! c

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What a lovely story!
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 15:18
What a lovely story!
I agree. I've given it some thought.
Nothing to stop someone putting up a sign, just on private property (not the Highways Department) saying:-
"Two miles ahead
Newfoundland's tallest artichoke stems
Up to NINE FEET HIGH
60 Canon Bayley Road"

It is just as true as the roadside signs Bill Bryson claimed to see as his dad sped past.

Our sign out to be on the approach to town. Set it up on the Trans-Canada Highway at Clarenville, and people would be fed up having driven 90 minutes from Clarenville, and then 90 minutes back, to see Chris's veggie garden.
Bonavista_IMG_20190204_130406895a.jpg
Set it up right by the RCMP, at the top of the hill into town, and since you have already driven 90 minutes before you see the sign, you have no grounds for complaint, right?

And when someone in Burgeo claims taller artichoke stems, just change the sign to read "Newfoundland's largest continuous-flow modular composting system". :grin:

Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

On that topic, in 1987 I remember not visiting "the second-deepest marble mine in the north-eastern United States", and also a "maple syrup museum" in Vermont... :thumbup:
John Gray

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 17:46
On that topic, in 1987 I remember not visiting "the second-deepest marble mine in the north-eastern United States", and also a "maple syrup museum" in Vermont... :thumbup:
That's VERY odd, Roger.
For one thing, sitting in a motel(1) in Borrego Springs one night, watching a you tube video on how some Chinese factory made marbles (not at all like this video) for export to young kids around the world, I didn't realize that they were primed with potentially lethal explosives. Nor that anyone could keep a bottle of maple syrup long enough for it to become a museum piece, unless they had run out of ice-cream. Nor whiskey, for that matter.
Cheers, Shirley
(1) I think it might have been the Borrego Valley inn. I know that I paid with my Visa card, and the next day drove to Mt Palomar, because I remember associating that with a story about the 200-inch reflecting mirror being ground in my Wonder Book of Things To Do(2), Christmas 1955, or it might have been 1954. Before we emigrated to Western Australia, at any rate. C
(2)I should have written "a story written, in my Wonder Book of Things To Do, about the 200-inch reflecting mirror being ground", but I am writing here about a time when my sense of grammar was limited to the school in Bury that my then sister went to by train each morning, from the station in Rawtenstall. C

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Is it time for a 'Go Fund Me' for the airport? I wish I knew how the name was pronounced but I fear my tongue would become twisted and tied forever if I tried to say it.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 19:24
Is it time for a 'Go Fund Me' for the airport? I wish I knew how the name was pronounced but I fear my tongue would become twisted and tied forever if I tried to say it.
I might be able to coach you in this matter, Bob.
Walk before you run, right?
Try pronouncing "GoFundMe Greaves Bonavista", then work your way up from there.
Cheers, Chris

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

"You lose only what you cling to" - film at 10...
John Gray

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 08:47
"You lose only what you cling to" - film at 10...
So that's a wrap, then.
th-4150829875.jpg
cheers, Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As Smokey Robinson and the Temptations sang: I Table That Emotion.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 10:23
As Smokey Robinson and the Temptations sang: I Table That Emotion.
"One morning in 1967, Robinson and Cleveland were shopping at Hudson's, a Detroit department store. Robinson found a set of pearls for his wife, Claudette. "They're beautiful." he said to the salesperson. "I sure hope she likes them." Cleveland then added "I second that emotion." Both songwriters laughed at Cleveland's malapropism; he had meant to say "I second that motion." The two were immediately inspired to write a song using the incorrect phrase"

How devious a device is the human mind!

Here is another stunning image of Bonavista for your photo albumn, as long as your glue can work with AVIF format files.
Cheers, Chris