How Long Does It Take for Your System to Boot?

BobH
UraniumLounger

How Long Does It Take for Your System to Boot?

Post by BobH »

The progressive slowdown in boot speed continues to annoy me with computers. We have 5 here that are used for different purposes. Four of them are Windows XP Pro SP3 running on Dells and HPs; the other is a netbook running Linux. Guess which boots fastest!

I use an HP Core Duo laptop with 2GB RAM and 1.8 MHz processor. When I boot it, it consistently takes over 3 minutes to become inter-active - sometimes longer. I have AV, WinPatrol and several other apps in the start up but removing them seems to make no difference to the start up time. I run CCleaner for file and registry cleanup at least weekly and AntiMalwareBytes about as often.

What is your experience with boot speed? Does anyone have a magic bullet that will make watching the paint dry less painful while still retaining effective pollution controls?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Jezza
5StarLounger

Re: How Long Does It Take for Your System to Boot?

Post by Jezza »

Have you got any of them networked and have you "redundant" drives that can be removed?
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Networked? Not really. Only one connects by cable to the router; the others are wifi.

As to redundant drives, the largest desktop has several internals and 2 externals, but it seems to boot the fastest of all. It is also the one cable connected tot eh router.

This laptop is the most used. And seems to be slowest but has only the one internal HDD and one DVD/CD drive.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

BobH wrote:What is your experience with boot speed?
My XP box's startup time has been more or less the same since 2002; though it has been rebuilt completely during that time (CPU, motherboard & memory); that is, it takes around 30-40 seconds to arrive at the Welcome screen.

If I leave it for some, say, 20-30 seconds at the Welcome screen, the system feels more responsive the first seconds after I have logged on, since some processes go on in the background. But if I don't, it usually takes another, say 20-30 seconds. I just did a simple test; it takes around 55-60 seconds to arrive at the Desktop (startup + log on time), and some additional 25-30 seconds to be completely ready (2.2 GHz single core, 2 GB RAM; I assume yours is running at 1.8 GHz, not MHz, otherwise that would explain it. :grin:).

So, about 90 seconds, 1.5 minute. I do notice, but it can of course be related to other changes, that with SP3, XP is in fact a bit quicker after startup; i.e. some of the processes end much earlier after the startup, such as Windows Update etc.
BobH wrote:Does anyone have a magic bullet that will make watching the paint dry less painful while still retaining effective pollution controls?
The only "magic bullet" here, ceteris paribus, i.e. the same hardware and the same OS, would be to take a look at the software running at startup/log on time, and in the background. But if it connects to other PCs it would also be worth looking at, as mentioned by Jezza.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

My newest PC runs Windows 7 and uses a solid state boot disk. It takes less than 2 minutes to do a complete shutdown-startup-login cycle.
StuartR

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Mine has been taking so long to boot fully for so many years that I really don't know or care. Doesn't seem to matter what I do with the startup items either. I get to the welcome screen, but if I click on my profile and then don't wait 5-10 minutes the items in the System Tray don't load fully or correctly. The most often noted issue is the inability to view hidden icons or hide icons as the chevron on the Systray is missing. Since I rarely shut down my system, I consider this a non-critical issue and ignore it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

StuartR wrote:My newest PC runs Windows 7 and uses a solid state boot disk. It takes less than 2 minutes to do a complete shutdown-startup-login cycle.
Just a rough time, using the second hand on the wall clock.
From cold boot start up to Welcome screen...50 seconds.
Welcome screen goes off...10 seconds.
Booted up and ready to go...15 seconds.
So about a minute and 15 seconds total.
Win 7 with 4 gigs RAM. I'm assuming that's about average time. :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

tomyrush
2StarLounger

Post by tomyrush »

Link to a PCPitstop free utility to test boot speed

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=190162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tom

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

tomyrush wrote:Link to a PCPitstop free utility to test boot speed

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=190162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tom
Boot racer claimed 28 seconds for me. Must be using a different clock speed than my wall clock? :laugh:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

viking33 wrote: Boot racer claimed 28 seconds for me. Must be using a different clock speed than my wall clock? :laugh:
I think they ALL lie, worse than that pesky windows sound that makes you think it's finished when it's really got an eternity (it seems) to go. The only answer is to switch on then go take care of some basic needs (ingest or divest)
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:The progressive slowdown in boot speed continues to annoy me
Have you tried Soluto?

Steve Bass's Weekly Newsletter:
Soluto's Available for Download
In August I wrote about Soluto, a program that speeds up your system's booting time. The day I mailed the newsletter was when Soluto decided to remove the download link from its site. Their latest version is better then the one I looked at: It's much faster and gives you more ways to get your system up and running.

soluto.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle