Breast Cancer Awareness

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Breast Cancer Awareness

Post by Bigaldoc »

This is Breast Cancer Awareness month! Ladies, get your exam, as uncomfortable as it might be, it could save your life!

Husbands, boy friends, brothers, encourage your female relatives to take care of themselves with a checkup!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Re: Breast Cancer Awareness

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I second that
Great advice
Thanks Big Al

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Good advice, but worth remembering that men can also suffer: Male breast cancer.

And a guide for doing a self-examination here: How to Do a Male Breast Self Exam - MBSE
Leif

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Leif wrote:Good advice, but worth remembering that men can also suffer: Male breast cancer.

And a guide for doing a self-examination here: How to Do a Male Breast Self Exam - MBSE
And THAT'S great advice too, Leif! Thanks for the addition!

In the next post I'll tell a little story about my beloved Billie that happened at the nursing home a few years ago. Billie gave her permission for me to tell the story to some of the nurses and aids and even then, she smiled at MY embarrassment.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

My purpose in telling this "story" is to encourage all ladies to take care of yourself and HAVE that exam in spite of the possible discomfort!

Sometime in the late 90s, my Billie was already in a wheelchair but still at home. She had ALWAYS been very faithful about her annual mammography exam, so I made an appointment for her at the medical clinic we'd both used for years. At one of their facilities they have the ability to deal with a patient in a wheelchair who cannot stand up. Billie could stand and walk assisted for a short distance but I didn't think long enough for the regular equipment, whatever that might be.

So, on the appointed day, I got her into the car, slung her wheelchair in the back and off we went. We were sitting in the waiting room when a female technician came to get Billie. I was gonna go along but she wouldn't allow it, saying she'll come and get me when the exam was finished.

It didn't take too long and the technician came out and motioned for me to come to the exam room. Billie was already clothed and in no discomfort. Next thing I knew, the technician asked me if I know how to do a breast examination on Billie since I am her primary caregiver. When I said no, she says she's gonna teach me! Well, this ol' buzzard must've gotten beet RED with embarrassment 'cause I could feel my flushed cheeks get warm. I thought she was gonna give me a demonstration, but instead she had some pamphlets to give me along with an oral explanation of how to perform a breast exam. Whew! That was a close one! I've told this story to a few of the nursing home staff so I know Billie would not object to me telling my Lounge Friends.