old is the new new

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

old is the new new

Post by stuck »

Those of you less inclined to follow popular music might have missed the recent story that 37 years after it's original release a song reached number one in the UK singles chart.

The tune came to mind we we reached this point in today's walk. Maybe 37 years ago I could have run at least part the way up.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: old is the new new

Post by HansV »

Phew!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Today's walk was another one in the Huggate area. It took in Cow Dale and Rabbit Dale but we saw neither cows nor rabbits but we did see buzzards and a red kite.

This is the same hill where I took the panorama of Horse Dale

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's a long climb...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 14:45
Those of you less inclined to follow popular music might have missed the recent story ...
Those of you who don't read Virginia Trioli might have missed her story of 3rd June 2022 "Stranger Things has helped a Kate Bush classic top the charts and suddenly everyone is young again".
Me, I feel strangely older.
Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 16:33
...Me, I feel strangely older...
Me legs felt older having walked up the hill.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

That hill doesn't look as steep as Cooper's Hill [average 45 degrees*!], where assorted dangerous sports enthusiasts chase a wheel of Double Gloucester cheese down the hill each year (Covid permitting) at the end of May. If the participants in each race reach the bottom of the hill still running they are 'caught' by members of a local rugby team, and (if necessary) treated by St John's Ambulance personnel.

* I think we can discount the linked website's description (my underlining):
"Cooper’s Hill in Brockworth is near vertical with a 1:2 gradient and is 200 yards long."
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

John Gray wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 06:49
That hill doesn't look as steep as Cooper's Hill [average 45 degrees*!]...
A perpendicular line from bottom to top of most of the dales in the Wolds is probably not far off 45degrees. but Yorkshire folk are smart enough to know that if you ascend the dale side by cutting across it then the gradient is reduced, so one one does anything as daft as Gloucestershire folk do :evilgrin:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

John Gray wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 06:49
That hill doesn't look as steep as Cooper's Hill [average 45 degrees*!], where assorted dangerous sports enthusiasts chase a wheel of Double Gloucester cheese down the hill each year (Covid permitting) at the end of May. If the participants in each race reach the bottom of the hill still running they are 'caught' by members of a local rugby team, and (if necessary) treated by St John's Ambulance personnel.

* I think we can discount the linked website's description (my underlining):
"Cooper’s Hill in Brockworth is near vertical with a 1:2 gradient and is 200 yards long."
Central Texas sent a contest to that cheddar chase in Gloucester. There was a video clip of her tumbling downhill.

Bucket list item checked!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 18:47
Central Texas sent a contest to that cheddar chase in Gloucester. There was a video clip of her tumbling downhill.
North Carolina in 2022 0m39s.

Beats me why someone doesn't develop a strategy, such as "Don't try to be first, but be the first to take out the person who is currently first"
Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle