calling all Reference Librarians

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

calling all Reference Librarians

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Strictly speaking "all professional editors, technical writers, reference librarians, retired or not."

In a non-fiction work from around (1870), (yes, Librivox again), I came across a reference in a footnote to "Nov. Org. Renov., p. 61".
A search of the internet turned up no explanation of the full title of this book which, I assume, must have been a popular non-fiction work prior to 1882.
Since I no longer have access to the overwhelmingly competent Pat Buxton of S.A.I.T. library and trained at Leeds University), I think that I need access to online databases of references non-fiction texts.

A free coffee to any of you who knows of such a database(s), TWO free coffees if you can put me in touch with a knowledgeable professional who can steer me in the right direction.
The tome has 290 footnotes and I estimate that more than 15% of them use what in 1882 was an obvious reference to a well-loved work but today has no meaning to a computer programmer like me.
I'll go put the :coffeetime: pot on now ...
Thanks
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

kdock
5StarLounger

Re: calling all Reference Librarians

Post by kdock »

This may seem impertinent (it wouldn't be the first time), but couldn't you just call the overwhelmingly competent Pat Buxton? In addition to decrypting the footnote, you might also ask if there are any online databases of the sort you desire.

Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

kdock wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 12:57
This may seem impertinent (it wouldn't be the first time), but couldn't you just call the overwhelmingly competent Pat Buxton? In addition to decrypting the footnote, you might also ask if there are any online databases of the sort you desire.
Dead by now, I am sure, and long gone (it has been 48 years since I worked there).
My son who works there, doesn't work there any more; he tells me he has not graced the building with his presence since November; he works from home. The library has divested itself of hard-copy material and is now pretty well fully electronic copy, emails, and help lines. No need for staff any more ...
But yes, had it been but five years ago I would have tapped Pat on the shoulder.

She it was who taught me "Always ask a librarian".
Cheers
Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 12:47
...reference in a footnote to "Nov. Org. Renov., p. 61"... ...book...
It looks more like a reference to a journal than a book to me. Even using that idea though I've not yet been able find an expansion of the abbreviation either.

I think you'll find this is what you are looking for:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novum_Organum

I get stuckling2 to send you his bill.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps Novum Organon Renovatum: Being The Second Part Of The Philosophy Of The Inductive Sciences, by William Whewell
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 16:22
Perhaps Novum Organon Renovatum: Being The Second Part Of The Philosophy Of The Inductive Sciences, by William Whewell
Ah, yes, that will be it and it's available on Amazon, in Canada:
https://www.amazon.ca/Novum-Organon-Ren ... B002Q8I7J0

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 16:06
I think you'll find this is what you are looking for:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novum_OrganumI get stuckling2 to send you his bill.
Ken, tell Stuckling that he is Stuck with the bill.
No coffee for you guys!

" I need access to online databases of references non-fiction texts"

The individual text might ultimately be tracked down by various tedious paths through the posts of 90,000 Librivox members, but I was looking for a properly organised database of texts which are used in non-fiction works.
JSMill in his 290 footnotes has, I believe, three different formats referring to this one work "Novum Organon Renovatum"
I would like a database that provides all three versions, each of which points to the definitive work.

This link will give you an idea of what faces us masochists as we pursue our hobby. See the list that starts at #81; "Phil. of Disc" can be found with a web search, but how much better to paste that into a serious search engine and have it produce the name of the work and a link to its source. If it is old enough, it is Public Domaion and its contents can be used. See also the list at #143, #217 and the like.

I am pretty good at guessing games, "Aph" is commonly "Aphorisms", and so on, but you just can't beat a serious data base assembled by a Real Librarian.

Cheers and thanks for trying. Better luck next time. Don't forget to pay the lady on the way out ... :grin:
Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm not sure Loungers will be willing to answer your questions after this... :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 15:32
kdock wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 12:57
Dead by now, I am sure, and long gone (it has been 48 years since I worked there).
Ah. Well, short of a seance, I got nothin'. :scratch:

K
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 18:36
" I need access to online databases of references non-fiction texts"
“When there is so much to be known, when there are so many fields of knowledge in which the same words are used with different meanings, when everyone knows a little about a great many things, it becomes increasingly difficult for anyone to know whether he knows what he is talking about or not.”
T. S. Eliot