Springtime!!! White blossom on trees

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Springtime!!! White blossom on trees

Post by ChrisGreaves »

20220330_082807 [800x600].jpg
I know how much you guys like photos of trees in full springtime blossom, so I thought I would join in.
The views here greeted me this morning when i took down the shutters in my bedroomn.
20220330_082816.jpg
In this image you can see my unique solution of removing snow - hang it on the washing line to dry out; saves the raised garden beds from getting soggy!
Those are the raised garden beds - immediately below the washing line. Get my drift?
Now to shovel my driveway path ...
Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 30 Mar 2022, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: Springtime!!! White blossom on trees

Post by HansV »

Spring in Newfoundland is something else!
Best wishes,
Hans

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

HansV wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 11:27
So it's not spring? It's probably actually winter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 11:27
Worse.
It's somewhere else!
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 11:29
So it's not spring? It's probably actually winter.
It's definitely not winter, because my desktop lamp is still on, so the power lines aren't down.
yet.
Cheers
Chris
(later) Actually, now I think of it, a really heavy fall of wet clingon snow would be welcomed by me right now. It would break half those big branches from my trees and reduce the labour of cutting them back if spring weather ever does arrive.
C

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Why do you need to shovel the driveway when you do not have a car?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 15:23
Why do you need to shovel the driveway when you do not have a car?
Newfoundland Logic!

My good neighbour David says that I should clear my entire driveway so that the ambulance crews can get to me when I have a heart attack.
Note that he says "when", not "if". he is a smart-arse kid of 56 years of age.
I point out to David that if I clear my driveway enough to accommodate the width of the local ambulance (I check it out every time that they take part in the Santa Claus parade) AND a stretcher AND two locals in thick padded coats, then I am certain to have a heart attack.

We have compromised.

I make a path the width of my snow shovel, on which they could drag me from the back door, and David is banned from playing with his favorite toy, a blade mounted on to the front of his unlicensed pickup truck, and dumping the driveway snow on top of my daffodil and crocus beds.
20220330_141230_HDR.jpg
Here is my 18" wide path from the bridge to the street. The local plough has once again dumped a windrow of blocks of ice across the foot of my driveway so that I can slip, fall, break my hip, and then die from pneumonia in hospital after I clamber over the windrow on my way to, and from, the grocery stores.
20220330_141236_HDR.jpg
This is the path to my store, made optimistically that by late afternoon it will be warm enough to drag out the barbecue kit and grill a moose steak.
20220330_140933.jpg
And this is my ongoing demonstration of the utility of solar energy.
The sun warms up the 18" wide bitumen strip and the warmed water flows down the driveway and on account of the slight slope from left to right, drains off to the side, thereby seeping under the rest of the snow and helping it to melt, which frees up more bitumen, so more energy absorption, so more warmed water ...

I started doing this when we had five feet of snow lying around after the blizzard, and it worked well indeed. My entire driveway was cleared os snow and ice in about two weeks.

Hope this helps.
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

In the best tradition of (dire) local journalism the website of our local rag has for many days now had headlines screaming that York was going to get heavy snow this week. Yeh, right :rofl: That's just not how weather works here.

It rained, a little bit, today. It's a safe bet it's likely to rain, a little bit, again tomorrow.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 17:36
It rained, a little bit, today. It's a safe bet it's likely to rain, a little bit, again tomorrow.
Dear Sir, may I draw your readers attention to "Wednesday October 28th" on this page?
Yr Obdt Srvnt
Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

That diary entry starts in the Lake District, where rain is the default thus explaining why there are so many lakes in the Lake District, and ends in the east coast towns of Filey and Scarborough, where cold [wind/rain/sleet] coming in off the North sea is the default, perhaps explaining why the word 'scar' is part of the name of the town - one visit and you are scarred for life.

It also includes a drive up Sutton Bank, where catching up with a vehicle that can't make it to the top is the default, thus proving that warning signs on the roadside are only there for the benefit of other caravan drivers because, "My car can pull my caravan up anything."

Yet your text implies all of this came as a surprise to you? Foreigners eh?
:igiveup:

:laugh:

Ken
Last edited by stuck on 31 Mar 2022, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Meanwhile, in The Netherlands...

Spring.jpg
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

It's snowing in London today, brrrrr
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 09:11
It's snowing in London today, brrrrr
Hooray! :cheers: :chocciebar: :clapping: :evilgrin: :fanfare: :grin: :laugh: :rofl: :smile: :thankyou: :thumbup: :bananas: :bingo: :bow: :bravo: :bubbles:
Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 08:57
That diary entry starts in the Lake District, where rain is the default ...
Ken, my diary started in Toronto Canada where it wasn’t raining and ended a week later in Toronto Canada where it wasn’t raining. I spent a week in the UK inside a car with the demister in top gear, touring happy memories of where we holidayed when I was a child.
I spent no more than five minutes outside the car at any time except for walking to and from a parking spot in Thirsk, where I collected three cartons of books.
On considered reflection that trip was almost as bad as my month in Florida in January 2014.
My memories of the Rossendale Valley north of Manchester were days of sunshine in the vicarage garden, blooming rhoddendron shrubberies, ripe gooseberries, and grandma’s pies. Not of heavy trucks getting blown off the roads at Shap.
Now: My understanding of The Lake District is that the lakes are depressions (apt term) scoured out by glacial action which then naturally accumulate rain.
Untitled_50.png
There is a reservoir at Clowbridge, about two miles shy of Burnley, about half a mile from the top of the Pennine Chain, which is a supply for Manchester, and I never saw it anywhere near empty. Also the cotton-mills were always washed clean as anything. So logic tells me that that part of England enjoys rain.
I saw today a report that it was snowing in London.
Google Maps has jumped on the bandwagon: there are bloomin' daffs everywhere, it seems.
Morosely yours
Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 11:52
...almost as bad as my month in Florida in January 2014...
Let's see, northern in England in late October :yep: cold, wet and windy, that sounds right :thumbup:
ChrisGreaves wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 11:52
...My understanding of The Lake District is that the lakes are depressions (apt term) scoured out by glacial action which then naturally accumulate rain...
Also sounds about right, and the location /prevailing weather means there's a lot of rain that naturally accumulates.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 15:54
... that sounds right :thumbup: ...
Also sounds about right,
So if I understand all this, you think it preferable that I not return to your shores? :evilgrin: :laugh: :laugh:
Cheers
Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 16:40
...I not return to your shores?
Absolutely not!

You just need to think a bit more carefully about the timing of your visit. If you come in late July / early August there is a chance it won't be cold, wet or windy - even on the west side of the Pennines, where rain is the default all year round.

NB that last point means that regardless of when you visit you do need to build cold wet and windy into your expectations :smile:

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 17:34
If you come in late July / early August there is a chance it won't be cold, wet or windy ...
OK, thanks Ken.
Now I've got it: I may as well stay on the Bonavista Peninsula and pretend that I am in the North of England! :rofl: :laugh:
It's only twenty-three hours journey to fly to Manchester ... but it takes a lot longer to get back here. I could miss the entire growing season here just to buy a slice of black pudding in Bolton.
Cheers
Chris

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

My heartfelt condolences to you in the Northern latitudes for your delayed Spring.

Here in central Texas, the sunshine is almost deep enough to cover the bluebonnets carpeting the roadsides even in the towns. Temperature at the moment is 70°F (21°C) with only a very slight zephyr occasionally.

Of course you will be able to commiserate with me in July, August, (thank you Oxford) and September when daily Fahrenheit temperatures will exceed 90°F and exceed 100°F on too many of them.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 19:48
Of course you will be able to commiserate with me in July, August, (thank you Oxford) and September when daily Fahrenheit temperatures will exceed 90°F ...
My heart bleeds for you, Bob. :sad:
Why do you put up with such miserable summers?
This is what summer time should be like.
90F was what we had at 8:00 a.m on school days in summertime, over 100F by the time we reached the cool sanctuary of the old limestone school.
Cheers
Chris