Winter is here

Argus
GoldLounger

Winter is here

Post by Argus »

December started with some snow; and today was cold in the middle of the country; -14°C this morning, about the same now. Three times worse in the far north though, lowest this season so far, with -42.7°C, I think. Electricity, on the other hand, is far from cheap now; a couple of all-time highs the last week or so. :sad:
20211206_A.PNG
20211206_B.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Winter is here

Post by HansV »

Brrr...! :snow:

We'll have some snow tonight and tomorrow night, but it won't last since the daytime temperature will be about 5°C.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 19:51
Brrr...! :snow: We'll have some snow tonight and tomorrow night, but it won't last since the daytime temperature will be about 5°C.
Oh you poor things - having to go all the way to panel 4 of the Smileys to obtain an appropriate icon. My heart bleeds for you ...
Untitled.png
Here in the delightfully balmy (Note to BobH, JGray et al, NOT "barmy") hamlet of Bonavista we will be experiencing 13c. PLUS 13c.
Maybe I will rise tomorrow morning to see my 300+ crocus in full bloom and my 400+ daffodils curtseying to each other.
Untitled2.png
There again, maybe not ...
(signed) "Under the weather" of Bonavista.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps your crocuses and daffodils will end up on the southern tip of Greenland...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 21:37
Perhaps your crocuses and daffodils will end up on the southern tip of Greenland...
Untitled.png
Could be.
Not quite the gustatory experience I was hoping for :evilgrin:
Cheers
Chris

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 21:32
(Note to BobH, JGray et al, NOT "barmy").
Not barmy, because the Barmy Army will mostly be here in Australia to watch Australia v England for the cricket "Ashes" test matches.

In the blazing hot summer sun.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 22:39
Not barmy, because the Barmy Army will mostly be here in Australia to watch Australia v England for the cricket "Ashes" test matches.
Wow! Right on topic.
"fueled by their consumption of large amounts of alcohol,"
Someone with more experience in beer-brewing than I might confirm that "Barm" is an old word for the froth or head that forms atop a fermenting mixture of hops, yeast, sugar and water.
In the blazing hot summer sun.
You can go off people, you know. :burnup:

Cheers
Chris

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Winter arrived here in central Texas today, as well. The temp at the moment is 48°F or 9°C for you so inclined. We also had wind from the North with gust to 30 miles an hour but it's dropped to a steady 6 mph at present.

:xgrin:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Our winter has been quite mild at the moment with daily temps at about 25 Celsius. Not sure why you guys, relative to me, have it so cold? But then again, the weather has been so messed up lately. :xgrin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Barmy days here near Oslo, Argus, with daily temperatures between -9 and -12c. Think I will get out my shorts ... not a pretty sight :laugh:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 19:41
December started with some snow; and today was cold in the middle of the country; -14°C this morning, about the same now. Three times worse in the far north though, lowest this season so far, with -42.7°C, I think. Electricity, on the other hand, is far from cheap now; a couple of all-time highs the last week or so. :sad:
Hi Argus.
I am far too polite to point out that it wasn't me who dragged this tread off-topic, and in doing so (or not doing so), I hope that you will indulge me in a few shallow explanations, or confirmations.

The thin blue line is temperature, correct? Changing to a thin red line when the temperature rises above zero, correct?
The blue blocky bits are half-day precipitation in mm, but snow? rain?
Untitled.png
Naimakka is where tourists go to get handcuffed?
Naimakka is also seriously North. what used to be my, but will be your, crocus and daffodil shouldn't take long to arrive.
Cheers
Chris

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

HansV wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 19:51
Brrr...! :snow:

We'll have some snow tonight and tomorrow night, but it won't last since the daytime temperature will be about 5°C.
Yes [I understand if you were refer. to -42, but that is so ridiculously far north almost not worth mentioning]; it has been -5, -6 a week or so, but still when it drops to -15 you tend to notice ... As I mention below, we [in the northern hemisp.] are all early in the winter, so we can all get plenty of snow coming months.
RonH wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 07:35
Barmy days here near Oslo, Argus, with daily temperatures between -9 and -12c. Think I will get out my shorts ... not a pretty sight :laugh:
:hello: :nuts: :laugh:
ChrisGreaves wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 11:25
I am far too polite to point out that it wasn't me who dragged this tread off-topic, and in doing so (or not doing so), I hope that you will indulge me in a few shallow explanations, or confirmations.
But you inspired others to take it off the rail, talking about crocus, daffodils etc. etc. :laugh:
ChrisGreaves wrote:
The thin blue line is temperature, correct? Changing to a thin red line when the temperature rises above zero, correct?
The blue blocky bits are half-day precipitation in mm, but snow? rain?
Blue, correct, yes.
Red, correct, yes.
Precipitation in mm, yes. And as you may know, :grin: when it's below zero, we usually get it as snow; and after a longer period with cold weather also at some degrees above zero, in C, we also get it as snow. And when the snow is fluffy, you can multiplie mm with 10; ergo around 10-14 cm at most. But as you said, snow or rain? Well, for a start that clip was from Monday afternoon, we don't know until a day or two closer, but it will probably add some cm to the 2-5 cm we have, even if temp is rising.

Anyhow, an academic question almost, I guess most will be gone next week. But we are early in the season (that said, in 2016 we got 39 cm(!) around 9 November).

Almost 24 hours later:
20211207_A.PNG
ChrisGreaves wrote:
Que?
ChrisGreaves wrote:
Naimakka is also seriously North. what used to be my, but will be your, crocus and daffodil shouldn't take long to arrive.
Yes, it is; the two towns at the top of the list are usually the coldest ones every winter.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 15:27
But you inspired others to take it off the rail, talking about crocus, daffodils etc. etc. :laugh:
I cannot help my charismatic nature. I was not hijacking your post, though, I was hijacking Hans's use of a smiley; and if you want, take it up with an Administrator :evilgrin:
ChrisGreaves wrote:
Que?
I was referring to the image of Naimakka in Google Maps:-
Untitled.png
(there is something very odd about attaching an image of someone being handcuffed and thinking "attached the handcuffs")
Cheers :cheers:
Chris

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Chris, my weather gadget tells me that Bonavista, NL and Temple, TX are enjoying the same temperature at the moment. We have a light southerly breeze up to 6mph whereas you are having a 53mph gale from the southwest.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 18:41
Chris, my weather gadget tells me that Bonavista, NL and Temple, TX are enjoying the same temperature at the moment. We have a light southerly breeze up to 6mph whereas you are having a 53mph gale from the southwest.
Bob, why can't you be honest, for just once in your life, and tell the truth?
Bonavista is having a 46.05572 knot gale from the southwest direction of Texas. :rofl: :laugh: :clapping: :hairout: :cheers:

At any rate, we are better off than Dawlish (UK). Here in Newfoundland we no longer have a railway.
Cheers
Chris
P.S. BTW it is not a 53 mph gale here; Newfoundland hasn't had a 53 mph gale since before 1970
C
P.P.S. that "C" is to remind you to do your temperature exercises tonight :rofl: :laugh: :clapping: :hairout: :cheers:
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 12 Dec 2021, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

I still miss the long pretty white winters that global warming has messed up. Once again we had some snow, then it mostly melts. But as a consolation, I recently discovered very close to home a disused railway, running parallel to the existing main railway line . I am very surprised I never noticed it before as I have enjoyed walking along a lot of old disused railway lines locally here: Its very sad that in England they ripped up so many old lines, - here they just left them when they stopped using them. I expect I missed this one, as in summer it would previously have been hidden by wild vegetation and in winter hidden under a lot of snow.
https://i.postimg.cc/L5KZHm6C/Old-Disused-Railway.jpg
Old Disused Railway.JPG
It looks very beautiful just now.
https://i.postimg.cc/RFnH5W9J/Old-Disused-Railway.jpg
Old Disused Railway.JPG

I am using it as my own private walk and jog route. ( I made one amazing discovery. There is a mechanical branch point thing - all oiled and it works – its not locked or alarmed. I can divert the trains onto this old track. I don’t know how long I can resist getting up to some mischief with that. I got all sorts of old English train robbery ideas flying around in my head )
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Doc.AElstein wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 21:07
... I recently discovered very close to home a disused railway, running parallel to the existing main railway line ...
So that's what happened to our Newfoundland Railway!
Send it back at once.
Our lawyers will be in touch. :grin: :cop:
Cheers
Chris