Tiny URLs

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Tiny URLs

Post by Bowlie »

In Big Al's horsey thread starting here he gives a couple of links that have been :scratch: tinified?

While I trust Al, I'm a little leery of these links because there are no visual clues about where that link is going to lead? Is there anyway of seeing the real URL without clicking on it? I suppose that defeats the purpose but ...

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Tiny URLs

Post by StuartR »

I never follow tiny URL links, because I can't see where they point
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I to, dislike any link that has been "Masked" as I want to know where I am being taken.

Some site have these "Masked" links to files that download and fix your system.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Does that reluctance include links like this? Eileen's Lounge

I always thought that it was polite to remove the rather inane explicit path designation on-screen and provide a more readable link title.

Mea culpa!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

mbarron
2StarLounger

Post by mbarron »

BobH wrote:Does that reluctance include links like this? Eileen's Lounge

I always thought that it was polite to remove the rather inane explicit path designation on-screen and provide a more readable link title.

Mea culpa!
I agree that it is polite to shorten them. In my opinion, your method is the preferred way to shorten them. I can do a mouse over and see where your link is pointing. With tinyURL, there is no indication where you are being taken.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

BobH wrote:Does that reluctance include links like this? Eileen's Lounge
Trust, but verify. That is the issue here. You are, as you say, being polite by providing the link above. I trust that you are sending me to Eileen's Lounge and I can verify that by looking at the address in my browser's status bar. You are indeed sending me there.

You could just as easily have sent me to Eileen's Lounge, but I can catch that.

With the TinyURL type link, you will be redirected to another site. I can only verify that I am going to TinyURL. I cannot determine or verify where I will be redirected.

In Al's case, you are redirected to a legitimate site.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Now I'm wondering what I'm missing.

I'm using Firefox 3.6.10. When I hover my mouse over the hotlink I see nothing other than what was there before. Nothing changes in the browser address bar and nothing pops up as the mouse floats over. Right clicking gives a menu but doesn't display the explicit URL.

Is there a setting in Firefox that will change the behavior? Or something in the mouse settings in CP?

Curious minds and all that.
Last edited by BobH on 28 Sep 2010, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

This is what I see in Firefox 3.6.10 when I hover over the inappropriate Eileen's Lounge link above.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

FYI
There is a preview for TinyURL which allows you to see where the link leads
- http://tinyurl.com/preview.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards
wasbit

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

BobH wrote:Is there a setting in Firefox that will change the behavior?
Select 'View' in the menu bar and make sure there is a check mark next to 'Status Bar'.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

wasbit wrote:FYI
There is a preview for TinyURL which allows you to see where the link leads
- http://tinyurl.com/preview.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cool! I did not know that.
Regards,
Paul

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Another approach for a global display of link info in context is to use the great Web Developers Toolbar Add-on for Firefox, and click Information > Display Link Details:
ViewAllLinkInfo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sundog

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

For the edification of all, I have edited the reference post to remove the TinyURL links that were making some of you nervous. For the record I usually use the Fx addon called CopyURL pointed out by Leif a long time ago. But sometimes I get carried away... :flee: :innocent:

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

There is also a Firefox extension/add-on which will display the URL addresses behind TinyURLs, bit.ly, and so on, and anything else that comes under the category of Alt Text... Popup ALT Attribute. Been using it for years!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

John Gray wrote:There is also a Firefox extension/add-on which will display the URL addresses behind TinyURLs, bit.ly, and so on, and anything else that comes under the category of Alt Text... Popup ALT Attribute. Been using it for years!
Good tip! Thanks, John. Will add it to my Firefox.
Sundog

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

John Gray wrote:There is also a Firefox extension/add-on which will display the URL addresses behind TinyURLs, bit.ly, and so on, and anything else that comes under the category of Alt Text... Popup ALT Attribute. Been using it for years!
I've have the same add-on - but I can't for the life of me see how it displays the ultimate URL behind a TinyURL...
Leif