From my son David ...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

From my son David ...

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Earlier this year we were running through our emergency evacuation procedures at work.

The first thing staff at the service desk have to do is lock the service desk computers. My supervisor demonstrated this process by pressing the Ctrl-Alt-Delete combination, then using the mouse to click on 'Lock Computer' or something (I can't remember exactly and I have Windows 7 here at home which is different to XP at work).

Everyone was familiar with this method and nodded approvingly.

Then I piped up and said, 'Or you can just press Windows-L.' This got everyone in a flurry, and there was a big discussion, with more than one person complaining that they already knew the older method and didn't want to confuse things. I defended Windows-L as quicker (important in an emergency) and easier to remember ('It's L for 'lock'!'), but in the end the supervisor went with the majority and said, 'We'll leave it as it is in the procedures.'

I kept quiet for the remainder of the session.

David possesses much more self-control than do I!

(All the same, I'm proud of his stance.)
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: From my son David ...

Post by Argus »

I agree 100% with the much quicker method, using the shortcut, emergency or not, as long as there are Windows keys on the keyboards.

I think we are many who have been, asked at some point; how did you do that? In the same way we all learn from other people. It's often small, but useful things we learn every day. Someone asked me about the lock combination, and I think it's better than Ctrl-Alt-Delete, since that one depends on the configuration, if you will see the Windows Security dialogue or not, but in the abovementioned case that wasn't a problem.

It reminds me about an episode when I used the space key (space bar) to press a button in some software, and a colleague told me: no, you are supposed to press Enter. The end result was the same since focus was on the correct button. The space key is a much bigger target when you're lazy; and a good way to even the wear on the keyboard. :smile:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Many years (over 20) ago when we were having the St. Helen's scare, the instructions to protect the computers was to get them covered with the special plastic sheeting that was provided. After many hours of instructions, I asked, when should we turn them (the computers) off, since there was no instructions and the steps to be taken were stated in such a manner that they were not to be done differently. The answer, we will look into it,but the quick answer was, after it was covered, so the ash would not get inside the drives.
Last edited by DaveA on 29 Sep 2010, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

tomyrush
2StarLounger

Post by tomyrush »

I have never used the "Windows" key board button.

Where can one find a list of available commands(such as windows+L)

I looked in "windows xp - Inside Out" and was referred to the windows xp help.

I couldn't find anything, but maybe I was searching incorrectly.

Tom

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

tomyrush wrote:I have never used the "Windows" key board button.

Where can one find a list of available commands(such as windows+L)

I looked in "windows xp - Inside Out" and was referred to the windows xp help.

I couldn't find anything, but maybe I was searching incorrectly.

Tom
Try this site.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -shortcuts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Bob has already replied with a good link to lists, with more shortcuts than possible to remember. But just to show that there are shortcut lists at several places at Microsoft’s sites.
Keyboard shortcuts for Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keyboard shortcuts that are available in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301583" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Windows 7 added some combinations to the earlier lists, and we if take a look at, for example, the NZ site we find:
http://www.microsoft.com/nz/digitallife ... -keys.mspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a Swedish copy of Windows, but I think it should be possible to find some lists in the Windows XP Help searching for "keyboard shortcuts"; and you'll find a topic called: "Keyboard shortcuts in Windows: Overview".
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

tomyrush
2StarLounger

Post by tomyrush »

Thanks

Tom

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for the links. I, too, had never used the Windows key (and wonder if I will remember to do so since I've always done those things differently - the habits are deeply set by now). I learned that there is a PAUSE key on my keyboard. Who knew? Have no idea why it's there or what it does or when I might use it.

Thanks again.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

[quote="BobH"] I learned that there is a PAUSE key on my keyboard. Who knew? Have no idea why it's there or what it does or when I might use it. quote]

I used to find the pause button invaluable to stop windows loading so that I could read which key allowed access to the bios. Now I don't bother because the majority are DEL or F2 - & then its F10 to save changes & reboot.
Regards
wasbit

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:... t there is a PAUSE key on my keyboard. Who knew?
Jupiter! :flee:
He who plants a seed, plants life.

StoneChucker
StarLounger

Post by StoneChucker »

We had an evacuation of one of our buildings, and the vast majority of users simply walked away from their desks. Personal safety first, data safety second. As a Health & Safety rep, I applaud them for that. As an IT Guy, an extra second to lock wouldn't hamper their exit. But I digress....

Once the all-clear was given, members of my department were asked to secure all PCs, as the evacuation was close to the end of day, and all affected staff were sent home. These PCs were a mix of Win2K, and WinXP operating systems, and various levels of security patches and service releases. Some computers the Win+L worked, others had to use Ctrl+Alt+Delete then spacebar (default was lock).

Point of my story... use whatever works. If there are multiple ways of doing it, then provide them. As was previously pointed out, the Windows key may not be available (ie. older laptops, very old keyboards).

Christopher