Bonavista: [s]Batten down the hatches![/s] Windfall!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Bonavista: [s]Batten down the hatches![/s] Windfall!

Post by ChrisGreaves »

It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good.
Untitled.png
That's almost $350, and possibly in $US too,

Only thing is, I don't have Norton,
Also I always thought that counts of things were "tallies"; shows you just how wrong I could be.

It just goes to show that sometimes, you can get something for nothing, even if that something has a negative value/cost.
And it helps assuage the pain of having a brick blown off my chimney last night.
2021_20210911_121847_HDR [800x600].jpg
The brick landed on my rhubarb plot and wiped out a couple of stalks, but most of the other stalks had been snapped as the wind hit the leaves.
Sigh.
Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Bonavista: [s]Batten down the hatches![/s] Windfall!

Post by BobH »

Please give us a 'damage' report on your permanent structures? Did the chimney covers hold? Are the bricks from your chimney? How bad was the damage to it?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 20:26
Please give us a 'damage' report on your permanent structures? Did the chimney covers hold? Are the bricks from your chimney? How bad was the damage to it?
Hi Bob. Well, I thought that my chimneys were permanent structures, but no.
This morning around 0230 I thought that the "thump" was the wooden cover being lifted off the chimney and then dropping back with a "thump". You can get an idea of the weight of the anchor; the length of the plank is about 36", and it is a step, perhaps 8" wide and an inch or more thick.

This afternoon, like the fool that I am, I went back on the roof to replace the cover and found that one brick had blown or been pushed off the chimney and that must have been the "thump" as the brick hit the roof and then bounced onto my pour rhubarb.

I am back from David's, asking if he has any mortar; he doesn't. But he says just to burn up a tube of caulking compound, which I will do tomorrow. One of the remaining five bricks of that top row is loose, and there are gaps between the others.

I now suspect that the gusts blasted in between the gaps, and so managed to lift and shift the cover in small amounts, and that one of those small amounts nudged the brick off the top. I am still impressed that the gust managed to lift the cover-and-anchor, about ten pounds weight.

Apart from my first night sleeping in this house, last night was perhaps the most exciting night of my life (grin).

Cheers
Chris

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 21:16
Apart from my first night sleeping in this house, last night was perhaps the most exciting night of my life (grin).
It sound as if you were lucky that it wasn't the most exiting night of your life... :flee:
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 07:51
It sound as if you were lucky that it wasn't the most exiting night of your life... :flee:
:rofl:
Apart from my exit at 0330 to stand outside in the eye of a "hurricane"; that was exiting!

P.S. Apparently the "hurri" in "hurricane" is used in the sense of "Hurry or you'll miss it". Consensus in the district is that there was too much hoo-hah about the winds, hoo-hah generated by the weather bureaucracy and the scare-mongering press.
Cheers
Chris

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 13:05
P.S. [...] Consensus in the district is that there was too much hoo-hah about the winds, hoo-hah generated by the weather bureaucracy and the scare-mongering press.
Disappointed, and expecting more?
When Larry arrives closer to this part of the world it will be as an ordinary low-pressure system, and, depending on [lots of things as usual and] a high pressure system the result can be a bit warmer winds from the south in the middle of the week; but we will probably not even notice it. So, I agree not much to talk about. :grin:
20210909 Larry.jpg
Good to hear it passed without much problems; but why didn't they close/block the chimney with bricks? (Not that it would help much if Larry and company are of the stronger type.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 19:47
... but why didn't they close/block the chimney with bricks? (Not that it would help much if Larry and company are of the stronger type.)
Hi Argus!
Who "they"?
Me.
I had the wood stove taken out about four months after I arrived.
I had meant to put the wooden chimney cap in place last year, but procrastination being what it is ...
The mortar is most likely a 1955 version and has been eroded by wind and rain over 60+ years.
I really want the chimneys removed top to bottom, as that will give me more wall-space for bookshelves, but that project might have to wait until the sixteen new (larger) windows are installed.

The mechanics of fluids fascinates me. I suspect that the strong wind forced its way through the vertical gaps between the top layer of bricks, providing just enough pressure to lift the 18"x18" plywood sheet (even with the wooden anchor) that made an airfoil and that that angle of attack helped the plywood to lift like an aeroplane wing, and then fall down, dislodging a brick a little bit, which made a wider gap for the next gust to blow through, more lift, more nudging etc until the brick decided it would like to go meet the roof.

Cheers
Chris

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Ah, I see, maybe I mixed things up when you mentioned having stove taken out. Yes, one project then perhaps next seems like a good idea.
ChrisGreaves wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 21:30
The mechanics of fluids fascinates me.
Saw a video the other day, that I've seen earlier, about laminar flow in water; it can be quite spectacular (and certainly easier to spot than in a gas ...).
And that reminded me of my early studies which included among other things hydraulic engineering, or rather heating, ventilation, and sanitation in buildings etc, and it starts with hydrodynamics and that with laminar and turbulent flows etc, and along came Reynolds number, Colebrook equation, and Bernoulli's principle et al; some of it complicated stuff at times, but glad they had some principles. :smile:

As for the laminar part of the flow, it needs be slow enough, and small enough.
Here is another randomly selected youtube video on the topic of laminar flow (by someone who seems to be really excited about it).
Why Laminar Flow is AWESOME - Smarter Every Day 208
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 22:42
...video on the topic of laminar flow (by someone who seems to be really excited about it).
Why Laminar Flow is AWESOME - Smarter Every Day 208
And rightly so.
He reminds me of my 4th/5th year high school Physics teacher Mr. Puzey, especially at the early part where he just can't GET laminar flow..
We queried Mr Puzey on why his experiments didn't always work, but Mr. Crosbie's (Chemistry) experiments always did work. Great teacher that he was, Puzey took the time to explain that Chemistry was easy because it was just atoms operating mechanically at the atomic level, but Physics was at the clumsy human stage (talking Newtonian here, not Quantum)
I am taking far too long to get the wind turbine up because I am building a pulley system so that I can raise the mast, and then lower it all for maintenance. Some sixty years after Puzey taking us through pulleys, I am having a ball, now at my fifth iteration of a system. I like to think that Mr Puzey would be proud that his enthusiasm has lasted sixty years, and resurfaced.

Puzey: "Everything is Energy!".

This month's signature honours Mister Puzey!
Cheers
Chris

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Haven't mentioned earlier, but I'm impressed you can remember all teachers' names.

I was thinking about some physicist quotes, one saying something along the lines of him being in a town was enough to ruin all experiments there, or make them fail. Can't remember which one, the only name that pops up at the moment is John Wheeler.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 00:12
Haven't mentioned earlier, but I'm impressed you can remember all teachers' names.
Easy on at least two counts:-

(1) I lived away from home for High School, so my maths and form teacher Brian Feld was a father-figure to me. A rough calculation shows that over a 3-month period I would see my dad for 360 hours vs. 200 hours for Brian Feld. Brian Feld came in frequent but smaller doses. Puzey, Crosby and deKurloi (Geography) were like Uncles. Also Brian Feld was encouraging, My dad was disparaging.

(2) These guys were good!. I met with my headmaster Norman MacCleod ten years after high school and asked him how he got such good teachers, and he laughed out loud: "I was always accused of taking the cream of the crop, but I never did; I took only what they sent me". A pause of about three seconds. Then "I just got rid of the Bad Eggs quickly", and I remembered several uninspiring teachers who disappeared after one term.

The state high school, Governor Stirling Senior High School was the top high school in the state, measured by matriculation rate (98.5% in my year) and I was in the top class (professional stream), boys only, no girls to distract or impress. Just us boys, the teacher, and the knowledge.

I was blessed beyond words to have such teachers. Today I say "They gave me the keys to the universe".
No wonder I remember them with fond reverence and no regrets at all.

I was standing outside at 330 Saturday morning, staring at Orion, in the "eye of a hurricane", on account of Pierre deKurloi.

Cheers
Chris

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 11:15
I was blessed beyond words to have such teachers. Today I say "They gave me the keys to the universe".
Compare Joni Mitchell's dedication to her English teacher on her Song for a Seagull album:
"To Mr Kratzmann, who taught me to love words."
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 17:47
"To Mr Kratzmann, who taught me to love words."
The best testimonial to my high school teachers, far better than anything I could produce, came from a staff member of Beaver Lumber (now defunct) who in 1993 took the Windows Lotus (?) course evaluation back to his office in Scarborough, completed the form, and handed it in to his manager
Who faxed the form to my boss Louis Florence in Toronto.
Who told me to come to his office when I had finished that day's class.

Uh-Oh!

Louis wordlessly handed me the evaluation form to read.
"If Mister Greaves had been my high school teacher, I wouldn't be in the job I'm in today".
Considering that that was addressed to this fellow's own manager, I cannot come up with a greater testimonial to my own high school teachers of 1959-63.

That my high school teachers could pass on their inspiration through me to someone on the far side of the world thirty years later is an indication of their enthusiasm and style.
After all, I can be only a second-hand version of those teachers.
Cheers
Chris