Strange behaviour of a crow

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Strange behaviour of a crow

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Although it might be a rook or a raven.
I have a flock/horde/muster of crows. Not yet a murder of crows, because I feed them my leftovers on the front lawn, out of sight of Hubert who hates crows and would murder them if he could.
I observe them from my kitchen window. They will tear apart and wolf down anything from thawed bread dough to pork ribs.
2021__20210713_16035a0.jpg
This crow spent five minutes grabbing beak-fulls of dried grass clippings and tossing them to his left-hand side.
At the extreme right of the photo you can see clippings/mulch from two weeks ago, yellowed.
Russell is working his way down a pile of clippings that was strewn the evening before; the pile is greenish, contains much moisture and is, I assume, a haven for insects.
In typing that I realize that Russell might have learned that worms come to the surface for moist grass-clippings. I know that earthworms drag dead leaves as much as eight feet underground for winter supplies.
To our left (Russell's Right) of the outlined area is the undisturbed portion of clippings. You can see how raised up and tufted are the processed clippings.

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Re: Strange behavious of a crow

Post by GeoffW »

While this expression comes to mind, I'm not sure that this expression will be well known to North Americans (except for ex-aussies).

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Have you considered Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?
Maybe the crow / rook / crook is behaving strangely because you are watching it...? :scratch:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

John Gray wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 06:46
Maybe the crow / rook / crook is behaving strangely because you are watching it...? :scratch:
Crows are quite intelligent and may be smarter than your dog.
Regards,
John

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 22:41
While this expression comes to mind, I'm not sure that this expression will be well known to North Americans (except for ex-aussies).
Stone the crows, mate, what the heck is an ex-aussie? I didn't know that one could be an ex-aussie, although I can understand eastern-staters clamouring to become Western Australians. :evilgrin:
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jstevens wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 14:29
Crows are quite intelligent and may be smarter than your dog.
"... they are viewed by some as harbingers of death"
Frankly this doesn't say much for the value of Anne Marie Helmenstine's PhD, you ask me.

I woke up this morning, and my first thought was "Well, at least I didn't die in the night".
Nothing to crow about, of course; I'm just sayin'.
Eyes wide open I stumbled into the kitchen and flicked on the coffee-pot switch, and from that instant to this I have been aware that so far, I am still alive.
Seen from this point of view, every aspect and incident in my life is a reminder that one day I will be dead.
That is, everything is, or can be considered to be, a harbinger of death
Cheers and :grin:
Chris Bsc. (maths)