Canada’s northern lights are going online.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Canada’s northern lights are going online.

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Toronto Star

Starting Monday night, live feeds of the aurora borealis will be available on AuroraMax, a website set up by the Canadian Space Agency.

A CSA spokeswoman says the light show will begin after dusk local time or at about 11:30 p.m. EDT.

But if skywatchers can’t stay up, they can watch it the next day on video.

The launch of the online observatory coincides with aurora season in Northern Canada, which generally begins in late August or early September and ends in May.

Auroras occur as charged particles from the sun collide with gases in Earth’s upper atmosphere.

The online observatory is a collaborative initiative involving the space agency, the University of Calgary, the city of Yellowknife and Astronomy North.

The website address is: http://www.asc-csa.gc.ca/auroramax" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Canada’s northern lights are going online.

Post by Argus »

Nice, I am happy to be able to see Jupiter (the planet :grin:) now, in the southeast. City lights etc. usually make it a bit difficult to see stars and planets.

No aurora borealis, or very seldom, here, plenty in the north though.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:... able to see Jupiter now, in the southeast.
At 20:00 EST Jupiter is risen.
My DOS SkyGlobe shows Uranus adjacent to it.

I recall an article of a couple of days ago saying that Uranus should be visible with the right binoculars?telescope? but could easily be confused with one of Jupiter's moons.

Apparently this is Jupiter's closest passage for xxx years and yyy years to come.
Yahoo News
NASA
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

NASA Science News wrote: The night of closest approach is Sept. 20-21st. This is also called "the night of opposition" because Jupiter will be opposite the sun, rising at sunset and soaring overhead at midnight. Among all denizens of the midnight sky, only the Moon itself will be brighter.
Thanks.
It's definitely the brightest, next after the Moon, as they say. And I didn't mention September but I saw it first time at the beginning of the month. But I didn't know at which date the closest encounter would take place.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

Wait, wait! Canada has Space Agency? THAT's the big news in this thread. :laugh:
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

The Canadian Space Agency's main mission is to create and maintain an artificial 'moonscape' in Sudbury, Ontario. You may be familiar with it... it was the location of all past NASA 'moon landings'. :evilgrin:
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.