11 Aug 2020, 23:11
Just checked, 33C at 1800hrs local time
An American who speaks Celsius? I don't believe it

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Why we don't eat "pirrodge" for breakfast

Post by BobH »

^^^^
Only with the aid of a converting calculator.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

GeoffW wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 22:12
ChrisGreaves wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 21:27
Argus wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 07:42
We eat gröt, sometimes, for breakfast. Gröt (SWE) - grautr (old Norse) - grut (old English) - groats -> porridge. :laugh:
Hence, I guess, "grits" in the southern part of the USA?
Cheers
Chris
Perhaps that should be groats grits. Or grits groats.

Have you seen the History of English Podcast? I've been listening to it for a few years now.
Early on it talks about this ...
Too saxon.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Apropos the Indo-European language (and the roots of our languages); our neighbours are from another planet it seems.
Finnish_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 19:48
[...]
Truth is I find Kevin's "in the previous episode" summaries rather good. I suspect that you do, too. (grin)
I do.
ChrisGreaves wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 19:48
I admire the way Kevin ties into other material I have read on The English Language ...
Some early version of Nordic noir, albeit very real on the receiving end, when he talks about how the Germanic Vandals migrated from Scandinavia (at least that's the current view; and there seems to be links to a couple of countries) to, eh, export vandalism, and eventually sack Rome (which started getting used to the treatment). (As he mentioned early on it will be more history and less linguistics, sort of. Both are interesting so it's a good mix.)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Take the file extension GIF. I've heard 'G' this pronounced as in jiffy and as in gift. Which would fit the rule cited in the OP? I believe the latter would fit because the sound coming from the back of the mouth is less 'taxing' to make than the jiffy version. Much like porridge adn pirridge, no?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Oh dear, the jif/gif wars have reached Eileen's Lounge! :flee:
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

We have a couple of words like that in SE; anything similar in Dutch (not accents)?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What exactly do you mean, Argus? This thread is very long!
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Oh, perhaps we shouldn't add anything then ...
I meant words that people pronounce differently; as with G with G or J-sound above (we have K sometimes pronounced with K or CH-sound).

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Different pronunciations (when not due to regional dialects) mostly occur in words of foreign origin.
For example: the "g" in "energie" (energy) is pronounced by some as in the French original (ʒ), by some as a soft g (ʃ) and by others hard as in Scottish loch (x).
Another example: some people pronounce the "t" at the end of "restaurant", others don't.
And the "au" in "auto" (car, short for automobile) can be pronounced as an "o" as in French, or as "ow".
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 01:54
Take the file extension GIF. ... the sound coming from the back of the mouth is less 'taxing' to make ...
Hi Bob.
The only advice I can offer at this late hour is to refrain from using Window Photoviewer on your image files immediately after experimenting with pronunciation.
Or as Frank Muir or Dennis Norden(1) would have had it: "Never look at gifs, hoarse in the mouth"

Hope this helps ...
(1)Start at the 15m 15s mark.
Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 22:30
Some early version of Nordic noir, albeit very real on the receiving end, ...
Ah Argus don't be too hard on yourself. I still need to tell people from time to time that not all Australians pop out of the womb with the corks already dangling from the slouch hat.
In particular some of my USA friends need to be reminded of the reason that in 1776 the Brits began sending convicts to Australia: after the war of independence, the 13 colonies were no longer convenient parking spots for British convicts!
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 01:54
... I believe the latter would fit because the sound coming from the back of the mouth is less 'taxing' to make than the jiffy version.
Episodes 34/35 (I think; they flash by so quickly nowadays) contain a fair bit of explanation of the hard/soft G.
Kevin Stroud makes many back-references ("Grimm's law", and similar pieces), but I think that you don't need to worry about those references back to episodes 4, 7, 13 or whatever. Each episode stands well on its own.
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 06:03
You ain't seen nothing yet; stand by for the jaypedge battle!
Cheers
Chris

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 08:45
HansV wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 06:03
You ain't seen nothing yet; stand by for the jaypedge battle!
Yay, peg!?
:joy: :wine:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Watch out - if it gets too rowdy, we'll take the culprits down a (j)peg!
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
Have you seen the History of English Podcast? I've been listening to it for a few years now.
Hi again, Geoff, and as you now know, I have explored that site - and love it dearly.
Ep 46, since you ask.

Next Pension day I will graduate to "patron" status.

But please, whatever else you might do, please do not urge me to click on "extras" and thence "23 Maps and Charts on Language (Vox.com 11/17/2014)".
"The rise and fall of the semicolon" could suck the life out of me!

Thanks again
Chris
P.S. I am assuming you have mastered Dan Jones 48-minute history documentaries via You Tube
C

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 17:41
GeoffW wrote:
Hi again, Geoff, and as you now know, I have explored that site - and love it dearly.
Ep 46, since you ask.
A new, previously unknown, stone found. (Not that often nowadays!) Should be a piece of cake to translate it now when listening to the pod (at double speed), Chris ... They (1) think it's from the first part of the 11th century. They (2) found it while ploughing a couple of years ago; moved it away from the field, but noticed the inscription just some days ago when they were going to use it as a stepstone to one of the buildings. (It's ~2x1 m.)

kerþar raisþi : stin : þansi : at : sitiarf – faþur : sin : buanta : aykerþaR

https://svenskhistoria.se/sensationellt ... n-i-tjust/

(1), (2) Different persons.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 18:51
...Should be a piece of cake to translate it now ...
Hi Argus.
It was TWO pieces of cake - I made banana bread yesterday.
I spent about twenty minutes last night playing with the news report, and have attached my incomplete first-pass which will, I hope, gladden your heart.

(1) I was aided by your translation in the post above
(2) I was aided literally by Kevin Stroud's opus, especially his insistence on explaining Norse/Viking elements of English words
(3) I was aided spiritually by Kevin's work because it offers encouragement in the form of "You know more than you think you know".

Please do not comment on the attached except for an encouraging pat on the back.
My plan is do do more work on the translation tonight when I get back from dog-sitting.
Then I would like to re-submit it for a cursory examination that has you count how many terms that I tried to translate were "close enough" to facilitate understanding what was going on.
I will already have a count of how many words I thought I could translate (total number of translated words MINUS count of empty cells!).

I have found the SBS news podcasts valuable in that they encourage my understanding of a foreign language, although I am struggling with Dutch because so few podcasts include the phrase "I will leave that as an exercise to you" (HUGE grin)

Lucky for me SBS doesn't yet do news podcasts in Swedish or Norwegian, so that will save me an hour or so each day (grin)
Cheers
Chris