Soccer thingy

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Soccer thingy

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:I'm not interested in the cricket any more. I'm disgusted by the Australian team, so the only sport in which I had any real interest is no longer of interest.
Cheer up, Geoff.
There's always basketball!
basketball.png
(signed) "Canadian" of Toronto :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Good one for England.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

And for Sweden...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

It's a Scandinavian Conspiracy! :fanfare: :fanfare: :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Why?
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:Why?
It was meant to follow Argus' post #234000.

Should have quoted it.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I only listened to the game, and read some comments, but Colombia didn't play nice, and at full time (1-1) England seemed tired (as I assume most know, it went to extra time and penalties (England have lost 7 out of 8 times when there's been a shootout, I think). Maybe this one would be a once in life time experience. :grin: A nervous shootout, and with a brilliant save by Jordan Pickford.

However, after reading some of the comments at the BBC's "Get involved", after Swe-Sui (1-0) some hours earlier, I almost wanted to cheer on Colombia; it was said that our game was boring (0-0 half time) (still 64000 watched vs. 44000 in Col-Eng, I think) (people change their minds very quickly, our last one vs. Mexico was apparently a joy to watch, and those that commented hadn't thought about how "boring" Col-Eng could become, it seems, and it was pretty much before the penalties (over here several expected nil-nil and a shootout was how we would play against the Swiss team); it was said that the goal (that went via a Swiss player) was sheer luck (still, after Col-Eng one commentator at the BBC said something along the lines (full live text isn't included in articles now it seems) that at this stage it doesn't matter how you win as long as you win. Oh, as long right team wins, I imagine. :grin: Other comments from the great minds at Get involved: Sweden are (sic!) anti football. And that England should easily beat Sweden (when the Col-Eng even hadn't started, :grin: and remember, England won against Tunisia and Panama but lost against Belgium in group play). That said, there were plenty of balanced comments and knowledge.

Of course, when we're now going for quarter-finals, I thought it would be fun if we would play against England, so above comments didn't matter, and above all I didn't want to see a rough playing Colombia go to QFs.

(BTW, Bel-Jap the other day was quite entertaining; when I started my reply above, it was 0-2 to Japan, and about the time I posted 3-2 to Belgium ... :exclamation: :laugh: (though I think left the text with 2-2). I don't think there was any "acting" or similar, compare that to Brazil vs. Mexico same day, with Neymar's lack of sportsmanship, well it didn't come as a surprise, but still. Apart from acting, I think he did an assist and went on celebrating on his own ... I wish Belgium good luck.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

BobH wrote:It's a Scandinavian Conspiracy! :fanfare: :fanfare: :flee:
Less is more.
http://talesofabsurdity.com/comic/swedish-army-knife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Though, with that layout, one would quickly be out of luck; there's always one allen key missing, the one needed.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I got messages of sympathy and commiserations this morning, apparently, Sweden beat Switzerland. My life has changed forever now. You see, I'm a day older than yesterday and I can't do a thing about it. How much longer is that soccer thingy going on for, that is my question. :laugh:
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

There are only eight teams left now, so it cannot be very long...
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

We have seen it before, Japan showed class during and after their match against Belgium.
https://twitter.com/dhavalrajyaguru/sta ... 1085929472" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No wonder many thought it was refreshing to see a game (Bel-Jap) without fuss and arguing with the referee.
Claude wrote:How much longer is that soccer thingy going on for, that is my question. :laugh:
I'm afraid being in UTC+10 (AEST) doesn't help, :grin: it will end later for you. :evilgrin:

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Claude wrote:I got messages of sympathy and commiserations this morning, apparently, Sweden beat Switzerland. My life has changed forever now. You see, I'm a day older than yesterday and I can't do a thing about it. How much longer is that soccer thingy going on for, that is my question. :laugh:
It's the same every day.

It starts at midnight, after many of us are already asleep. And it doesn't go on for that many hours. It's over before wake up time.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

The Americas are out. It's an all European series from now. Except for the non European part of Russia.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Congratulations England & the English team.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

And my commiserations to Swederland…
Swederland.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

:grin:
Thanks. It was fair, no diving or acting, no chasing the referee; it was football this afternoon. (Though they took their time during subs. :hmmn: )

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

HansV wrote:And my commiserations to Swederland…
I thought this would be more fitting.
EL_29.png
Regards,
John

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:Congratulations England & the English team.
Since when was England part of Europe? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:And my commiserations to Swederland…
Huh?
Is that why everyone gave me funny looks last Tuesday in the "Presse Cafe" when i kep yelling]"Cmon the socceroos!"?
IMG_20180703_115333857_HDR.jpg
Sweden plays in Australia's Gold colours?!!???

(That's your humble correspondent, just below the lower left-hand corner of the TV screen).
Cheering
Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Since when was England part of Europe?
Oooooooooooooo! :stop: you're danergously close to breaking the no politics rule there.

Ken