Soccer thingy

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Soccer thingy

Post by Rudi »

I think someone is being soccer-punched!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Thanks for that Bob.

Strictly speaking, "Australian Rules" is a different game.

This was close to where I live. I apologise for the link I posted to this earlier, which was on Facebook which any of you don't like - but it was just a local video at that time, and that was the only place I could find it. It's since gone viral and has appeared in many newspapers.

The location isn't too far from the centre of Canberra, very close to Parliament and many of the embassies. Canberra though has been deliberately planned so that there's a lot of unspoilt bushland throughout the city, and this is also next to a very big reserve where there's a lot of roos. Having a roo like this isn't normal this close to the centre of other cities. I have had one jump in the front of my car, with a lot of damage caused, not that much further out than this.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Argus wrote:[...] depending on how it goes for Sweden. :laugh:
:groovin:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Congratulations!
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Thanks; and I think Geoff's Mexico, got some nice help from South Korea. :smile:
(Mex-Swe 0-3; they needed a point in this game to go to round of 16, and Sweden had to win to get there; Mexico could also get there, if no points, if South Korea beat Germany, that one ended 2-0 to South Korea in final minutes; both matches at the same time, and after 45 min. 0-0 in both.) :clapping:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

My Mexico did far better than my Australia - which didn't win a match.

I don't like Mexico's chances against Brazil though.

And Germany out. I saw a meme which said that for the last four cups, the winner of the cup failed to progress to the next cup.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

And the really important news from the cup.

Looming beer shortage leaving World Cup fans gasping

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

GeoffW wrote:And the really important news from the cup.

Looming beer shortage leaving World Cup fans gasping
Looming beer shortage leaving World Cup fans gulping
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

They can't gulp if they don't have beer?

A fish out of water gasps, as does a man out of beer.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

GeoffW wrote:And Germany out. I saw a meme which said that for the last four cups, the winner of the cup failed to progress to the next cup.
I'm waiting for the conspiracy theories, about the Russians putting something in the food/drink of visiting teams so that they win, to appear.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:I'm waiting for the conspiracy theories, ...
IMG_20180628_074315659.jpg
Ken, while you're waiting perhaps you could nudge the Lounge Pedant and ask why the apostroscope doesn't appear between the "K" and the "O", since surely we are lookijng for an abbreviation for "Knocked Out"?
Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:My Mexico did far better than my Australia - which didn't win a match.
Oh Goody!
I assume that this means that the ABC will go back to reporting news on its many morning News Podcasts.
(signed)
"Chirpy Again" of Toronto.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

In case you think it was a nice cute Kangaroo
Players describe scary Skippy

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
GeoffW wrote:My Mexico did far better than my Australia - which didn't win a match.
Oh Goody!
I assume that this means that the ABC will go back to reporting news on its many morning News Podcasts.
(signed)
"Chirpy Again" of Toronto.
I don't know what the ABC will do on its podcasts. The World Cup isn't over yet, so you're likely to get at least some air time with match results.

In Australia, a telco won the right to stream many of the matches exclusively. But they weren't up to it, and many people weren't able to watch. The had to let the free-to-air broadcaster air the rest of the games. (Which all commence after midnight and finish before 6 am. Most inconsiderate of the organisers).

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:In Australia, a telco won the right to stream many of the matches exclusively. But they weren't up to it, and many people weren't able to watch. ...
Yair. I laughed when I heard this. pay-per-view sudeenly went free-for-all

I am almost caught up on my ABC podcasts. On my walk back from the Eaton Chelsea hotel this morning I learned that Australia is playing Peru tonight - unless I listen to a bit more of Mark Twain's Autobiography (belated grin!).
I'll probably hear the results tomorrow (another belated grin!).

Sometimes it is fun to be "behind the news", hearing the wonderful hopes for the Socceroos, knowing that by now they are on a train to Siberia.
Or From Siberia!

P.S. Smith got a few runs for Toronto a day or two ago. Warner(?) was out for two runs with some inferior club :flee:
Cheers
chris

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

The refund for the people who paid went wrong as well. They sent people a URL to explain what was happening, which gave a 404.

I'm not interested in the cricket any more. I'm disgusted by the Australian team, so the only sport in which I had any real interest is no longer of interest.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Sorry, Geoff, for Mexico, your second team. I rooted for Mexico. It would have been fun to see Brazil leave (and at the same time give us an (even more) unusual World Cup).

Didn't see all of it, only most of second half, so wouldn't be fair to comment; that said it seems Mexico had several chances, but just before the last goal (2-0) with only around 2+6 minutes left (6 m injury time; Brazil's Neymar rolling on the ground several times, as usual; how much wasn't known at the time) someone passed the ball straight on to a Brazilian player. Oops.

At the moment, second half, Bel-Jap 2-2 ... (0-2 within 4 minutes in the beginning of second half; then Belgium just scored in the 69th minute, and then again 5 minutes later). But still, I think Japan has never got this far. An extraordinary World Cup.

Next up, after this, Swe-Sui & Col-Eng tomorrow.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Thank you for your commiserations.

Third string team then would be Colombia, as I have worked there for three months. I've also worked in England for a few years, but that's going back much further.

The Mexicans have a different reason for celebration or commiseration, having just elected a new president. They have huge problems, I can only hope that a change of government will help.

All the best for Sweden. In Spanish the match would be Suiza y Suecia. Confusing for a commentator. It's during a football match that you will hear the longest word in the Spanish language. It's goooooooooo...oooool.

And btw, don't root for a team in Australia. It means something completely different here. Something inappropriate for a family friendly forum.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

GeoffW wrote:It's during a football match that you will hear the longest word in the Spanish language. It's goooooooooo...oooool.
:grin: True.

À propos playing with words and similar:
Swe-Den.jpg
GeoffW wrote:[...] in Australia.
(Ah, I think you've mentioned it before. Can't you lot just have one language? :grin:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.