verifying a fundamental rule of modern life

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

verifying a fundamental rule of modern life

Post by stuck »

Something I've known for a long time but only recently heard expressed as a formal rule:

"Ronald's Refrigerator Rule" states that a fridge has infinite capacity because no matter how full it is, to get something else in to it all you have to do is take a few things out first and then when you put them back the extra item fits in as well.

I know this rule applies in the UK and in at least one other European country. Can other Loungers confirm this to be a valid in their part of the world and thus confirm my suspicion it's built it to the fabric of the universe?

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: verifying a fundemental rule of modern life

Post by HansV »

That has a familiar ring to it... :grin:

It's the complement of the Lost Laundry Law: the number of socks you take out of the washing machine is always one less than the number of socks you put in.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: verifying a fundamental rule of modern life

Post by stuck »

My post was prompted when, yesterday, my youngest opened the fridge door and called out that he was relying on Ronalds Rule again.

Ken

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Yes, but how many socks was he wearing at the time?

I'm not so sure that Ronald's rule applies in Switzerland. Our fridges are quite small and through experience I can say there is a finite number of :cheers: that can be stored, before getting it in the ear from Mrs. Bowlie. Perhaps there is an alcohol exception ... :evilgrin:
Last edited by Bowlie on 27 Jul 2010, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

It's kinda funny because I never heard of the "RRR" thing, but I can say from my personal "guy" experience that it's been true so far for me.

For the past eight years of being the only occupant here ('cept for the cat) I have OFTEN struggled to get a few more things in there when I come in from a grocery shopping stint. And that includes both the freezer compartment and the regular fridge area. I take a bunch out, re-enter and everything seems to somehow fit. Never thought much about it but I will from now on.

:clapping: :cheers: :innocent:

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Bowlie wrote:Yes, but how many socks was he wearing at the time.

I'm not so sure that Ronald's rule applies in Switzerland. Our fridges are quite small and through experience I can say there is a finite number of :cheers: that can be stored, before getting it in the ear from Mrs. Bowlie. Perhaps there is an alcohol exception ... :evilgrin:
I don't think he was wearing socks at the time, anyway back to the fridge thing...

There maybe a finite number of :cheers: that be stored before the lady of the house expresses an opinion but that's not the issue here. Would it not be true to say that you could always find away to fit one more in simply by rearranging things? In which case Ronald's Rule would apply in La belle Suisse.

Ken

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Post by stuckling1 »

http://www.gadgetvenue.com/dr-who-tardi ... -07204813/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If this fridge doesn't hold unlimited :cheers: , then no fridge does!!