Feel in need of a dietary change ?

Claude
cheese lizard

Feel in need of a dietary change ?

Post by Claude »

Well, you're in luck !

Coop, Switzerland's second-largest supermarket chain, is starting to sell new delicacies just for you, later this month! :yum: :yum: :yum:

Could a lounger (possibly Canadian ?) please post a suitable recipe in the Cooking forum ?
Cheers, Claude.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Re: Feel in need of a dietary change ?

Post by AlanMiller »

Being Switzerland, I'd bet they cost a fortune too.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, someone complains when such delicacies are thrown in for free with a $3 Happy Meal. :scratch:

Alan

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

OK...I'm full now! That's enough for one day! (...no week....month...............decade!!)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Some Dutch and Belgian supermarkets have been selling insect-based food since 2014. See for example Dutch supermarket to sell bug burgers and crispy insect snacks.
I haven't tried them myself...
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

AlanMiller wrote:Meanwhile, back at the ranch, someone complains when such delicacies are thrown in for free with a $3 Happy Meal. :scratch:
Well, what does she expect with a three-year-old McDonald's cheeseburger happy meal?
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Swiss make an incorrect claim:
Switzerland is the first European country to authorise the sale of insect-based food items for humans, a spokeswoman for the country’s food safety authority said.
Mealworm burger, anyone? Insect food on sale in Switzerland in European first.

As mentioned above, insect-based food has been for sale in Belgium and The Netherlands since late 2014. I wouldn't be surprised if it is sold elsewhere too.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

These have been around for a long time. Can even be made with dark chocolate ... yummy! :laugh:
Regards,
Bob

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

A substitute teacher back in my pre-high school years (let's just call it *around* 1970) brought in chocolate covered ants, grasshoppers and mealworms. I'm not sure if she was going to use them as a reward or a punishment. :hushmouth:

Anyway, I'm not surprised with the resurgence of the trend toward bug-food products. The urbanization of the populations in general has led to squimishness, dislike or distain for traditional farm-raised products, IMHO mostly in ignorance of where their food has always come from, as most of the population of the cities apparently don't even know their food wasn't picked from a hamburger tree, or was something living before it came in the nice shrink-wrapped packages. :hairout:
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:... most of the population of the cities apparently don't even know their food wasn't picked from a hamburger tree, ...
This is so.
I once met someone from Florida who claimed that oranges grew on trees there. But everyone knows they grow on trees in California :nohairlefttopullout:
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

I look forward to the day cockroaches are put on the endangered species list.

Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That doesn't seem likely; they'd probably survive a thermonuclear war...
Best wishes,
Hans

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Too true, Hans. Too true.
Kim :bananas:
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:That doesn't seem likely; they'd probably survive a thermonuclear war...
Speaking of which ...
Scientists figure out how to wipe out all life on Earth 7m28s
Dr. Rafael Alves Batista, a physicist and postdoctoral researcher at the University of Oxford, and his colleagues did the math and some modelling - to see how big a disaster they would need to obliterate life completely. They didn't look at human life though. When it comes to major doomsday scenarios, like massive asteroids, supernovae, and gamma-ray bursts, we're just a wee bit too fragile. Instead they focussed a much tougher life form: a tiny animal called a tardigrade, which is ridiculously hard to kill.

Includes an Animation of a (not dead yet) tardigrade

Enjoy!
Chris

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Tardigrades: Not a very *visually* impressing creature; but certainly impressive when it comes to survival. They'll even outlive Kim's dreaded cockroach. Wiki mentions this regarding their hardiness...
Tardigrades are one of the most resilient animals known. Individual species of tardigrades can survive extreme conditions that would be rapidly fatal to nearly all other known life forms, including complete global mass extinction events due to astrophysical events, such as supernovae, gamma-ray bursts, large asteroid impacts, or passing-by stars. Some tardigrades can withstand temperatures down to 1 K (−458 °F; −272 °C) (close to absolute zero) while others can withstand 420 K (300 °F; 150 °C) for several minutes, pressures about six times greater than those found in the deepest ocean trenches, ionizing radiation at doses hundreds of times higher than the lethal dose for a human, and the vacuum of outer space. They can go without food or water for more than 30 years, drying out to the point where they are 3% or less water, only to rehydrate, forage, and reproduce.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Man! Take that cockroaches!

Kim

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Long after mankind has died out (or has been succeeded by robot descendants), there'll be tardigrades. Who knows what they'll evolve into...
Best wishes,
Hans

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

ChrisGreaves wrote:When it comes to major doomsday scenarios, like massive asteroids, supernovae, and gamma-ray bursts, we're just a wee bit too fragile.
Apparently, thermonuclear just won't cut it. I remember having the debate on the energy requirement/release when Jesus turned the water into wine. My calculation was based on the estimated loss of total mass (based on the data given in the scriptures) and I concluded that the process was, indeed, exothermic. Also, the energy release must have been rapid, as opposed to gradual, as evidenced by the surprise, "And lo, the water had become wine!"

The yield form this miracle would be around a quarter of a million Hiroshima bombs. The city of Canaan should have been vaporized and much of the Middle East wiped off the map. But the wedding was apparently a smashing success, once the booze appeared and began to flow. So thermonuclear seems to be rather insipid.

Alan

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Long after mankind has died out (or has been succeeded by robot descendants), there'll be tardigrades. Who knows what they'll evolve into...
Microsoft Programmers? (Assuming, of course, that they can be said to have evolved ... :flee: )

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:
Tardigrades are one of the most resilient animals known. Individual species of tardigrades can survive extreme conditions that would be rapidly fatal ...
So.
What was the Good Doctor's recipe for wiping them off the face of the earth (he asked, wiping the last of the Butterscotch Ripple off his face...) :scratch:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

kdock wrote:I look forward to the day cockroaches are put on the endangered species list.

Kim

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs