That time of the year

Argus
GoldLounger

That time of the year

Post by Argus »

in the Northern Hemisphere.

Happy Midsummer Day (I say to myself in an more or less empty Lounge. :laugh: :hello: Paul. :grin: The excuse from this part of the world is the second biggest holiday of the year.)

https://youtu.be/FN-n-UzG_dg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Midsummer's eve, yesterday, was traditional in all aspects, including some rain in many parts of the country.
(We could need some more rain later on, groundwater levels are low or very low in some parts.)

No comments about summer solstice the other day? It's indeed difficult to notice, :grin: could be just about any day this week. On the other hand, some of you in North America will probably notice the solar eclipse in August.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Re: That time of the year

Post by HansV »

Glad midsommar!
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Tack, Hans. :smile:

En fortsatt glad midsommar önskas dig.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yesterday was the first day of this year's season that we hit 100°F (~38°C).

We've had relatively moderate temperatures so far this year.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I'm happy as long as it stays below 30-35, Bob, but it depends on where, climate etc. (I've experienced 112°F and it wasn't fun.) Guess I'm built for this part of the world. :laugh:

19.7°C (67.5°F) in Stockholm yesterday, top temp. in Sweden was 22.3°C (~72°F).
(38°C is record temp. for Sweden; 9 July 1933 & 29 June 1947. Coldest is -52,6°C, 2 February 1966.)

The warmest day in May this year, and the warmest so far I think, was 30.1°C. But it was quite warm a week ago as well, around 27-28°C.
(All this "degrees F" & "degrees C" reminds me about this. (And this; Fahrenheit has at least one advantage over C & K. :laugh:))

BTW, speaking of Midsummer, we need some more good Swedish music in this thread. :grin: Here's "Slängpolska efter Byss-Calle*" with Benny Andersson, yep, that Benny Andersson, and Orsa Spelmän & Gunnar Idenstam at the organ, "Orgel Acusticum".

And when BAO (Benny Andersson's Orchestra) are performing it. Great musicians, all of them.

*/ Byss-Calle, i.e. Carl Ersson Bössa, 1783-1847.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

-52,6°C :yikes: !!!!!!

I cannot even imaging how cold that is.

Our average temps this winter have been between 5°C and 14°C with the coldest morning (according to my cars temperature gauge) at 3°C.
The week ahead seems to continue to reflect these averages....
Image 007.jpg
The coldest I've ever experienced was -7°C in the Cederberg Mountains (north of Cape Town) at a work and team building retreat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

My coldest experience was 3 days when the highest temp was 0°F (-17.78°C) and the lowest was -10°(-23.33°C) in North Carolina in the mid '80s. My hottest experience was 127.4°F (53°C) in Madrid in 1991.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Rudi wrote:I cannot even imaging how cold that is.
Neither can I, Rudi. I don't think we have been close to that for quite some time ... and anyhow it was measured far away northbound.

Southern Sweden has only seen temps below -35°C (around -38°C) two times during the last century, 1918 and 1942; I would guess that +5 to -20°C is the "normal" range in the winter (there is quite a range between temps in southern Sweden). Also in the middle of the country that, -35, would be considered very cold, but that part has seen -40 to -45°C, a couple of times. Normal range would probably be +5 to -25°C (in the winter). In the northern part it would be below zero, perhaps -10 to -35°C in the "normal" range. I haven't checked this.

My coldest experience would probably be somewhere between -25 and -30°C, I think.

Low temps for an average day in January
High temps for an average day in January

Anyhow, it's summer in the Northern hemisphere! And midsummer. :smile:

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

BobH wrote:My coldest experience was 3 days when the highest temp was 0°F (-17.78°C) and the lowest was -10°(-23.33°C) in North Carolina in the mid '80s. [...]
The temps can certainly vary quite a bit within the USA (and within states).
(In the 80s I experienced 110+°F and 55-60°F (southern Minnesota & and the lake district in the north), in just some weeks.)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:in the Northern Hemisphere....
Yeah. I hate this time of year.
The days are getting shorter.
The nights are getting longer.

I saw a great Punch (UK magazine) cartoon last week:
Two yuppies are walking along the street, one say to the other "You know that summer is coming when your Photochromic lenses stay darker longer"

Pick of Punch, 1982-1985 series.
Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Argus wrote:in the Northern Hemisphere....
Yeah. I hate this time of year.
The days are getting shorter.
The nights are getting longer.
Yes, annoying, isn't it.
We saw Spring Equinox not long ago in March, and now suddenly it is supposed to get darker, before the summer has started! :grin:
Lousy arrangement, if you ask me. :laugh:

In reality, though, in this part of the world the change is so slow it won't be noticed until late July, August, unless you clock the sunset every day (or check your photochromic lenses).

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:... and now suddenly it is supposed to get darker, before the summer has started! :grin: ...
And then I heard a show in which one brilliant nerd explained to a geek that "heat makes everything expand, grow longer and bigger. That's why days are longer in summer ...".

Luckily I can't remember where I heard it, so none of us has to relive the experience :flee:

Cheers
Chris
P.S. I just replied to a letter from my son, in Adelaide South Australia. He had mailed a postcard to my niece in the UK ...

DZ>I thought you might be interested: last week I sent a postcard to Ann, and it arrived in about one week. I wonder why the difference between mail to the UK and mail to Canada?

Ah, you see, that's because when you mail a postcard to Ann, it goes Westward, against the rotation of the earth, whereas when I mail a postcard to you, it goes eastwards, WITH the rotation of the earth. My postcard includes the time it takes to overcome the earth's rotation, like overtaking a car going in the same direction, as distinct from zooming past one going in the other direction.

Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace