Musicality

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Re: Musicality

Post by Skitterbug »

Argus wrote: Since you mention King Singers, and choirs; some 10 months ago we had a thread started by Skitterbug, with a very funny example, and with several other excellent examples. I don't want to blow my own horn, :pun: eh, the Swedish horn, again, since this is already mentioned there, but if you have missed it, in that thread, when discussing a capella, I mentioned "The Real Group" and among other this Count Basie-medley.
Argus - I really enjoy your music links! :yep: However you did remind me of that long ago thread so this is your fault :laugh: and I couldn't resist since this does bring a big :grin: to my face! Here you go! :yep:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Excellent! :laugh:

Sorry, I did not include your link. :sorry: So good, but I have still problems listening to the, eh, non a capella version. :grin:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Argus wrote: Hello again,
Please don't take this as nitpicking; but please don't mix Jan Johansson with Jan Johansen. :smile:

I don't want to blow my own horn, :pun: eh, the Swedish horn, again, since this is already mentioned there, but if you have missed it, in that thread, when discussing a capella, I mentioned "The Real Group" and among other this Count Basie-medley.

It's possible to listen to several samples and watch some videos (under Archive) at their site: http://www.realgroup.se/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm very sorry for mis-reading Jan Johansson and finding the "wrong" artist. I've looked into your other links and from the 40 sec video the style is perfect and I really would have liked to have listened to him while he was still alive. Please forgive. (I could give you a reason as to why I mis-read it, but the end result is the same...I errred)

I have gone into the other thread that Skitterbug posted as well. You know what? There are so many great threads and posts that it will take me a long time to get thru alot of them. Opening a musicality thread was my way of trying to get a beat on what trips your musical trigger and how I might benefit from your favorites. The Real Group is wonderful. They remind me of Manhattan Transfer and other great jazz groups that frequent all the familiar jazz festivals all over the US.

Again, thanks for your insightful comments :music:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Skitterbug wrote: Argus - I really enjoy your music links! :yep: However you did remind me of that long ago thread so this is your fault :laugh: and I couldn't resist since this does bring a big :grin: to my face! Here you go! :yep:
hehehe I really love this one. I watched them perform this on The Tonight Show back in the early 80s and watched as my visiting in-laws laughed their hearts out. I can honestly say that I had NEVER heard them laugh so heartily before. It was a great ice breaker and I never would have believed they would enjoy this genre of music. My late FIL especially loved it. Thanks for the memories Skitterbug and Argus :fanfare:

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Hey Jude wrote:I'm so glad you shared this. I hadn't heard them and they have a lovely blending of their voices ... I'm looking for some more of their music.
http://www.idea.com.au
Hey Jude wrote:So where were you an exchange student? (You brought this up) We had a couple of them in my high school and certainly profited from learning about cultural differences.
The Pacific Northwest. Out of Seattle- in the days when it was a backwater- no Microsoft, Starbucks or grunge.
Hey Jude wrote:I started singing in church and school programs and became a member of the JR/HS choirs and ensembles by voice and by being the accompanist.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

GeoffW wrote:
The Pacific Northwest. Out of Seattle- in the days when it was a backwater- no Microsoft, Starbucks or grunge.
[/quote] I visited that neck of the woods 2 years ago and was delighted to find Starbucks indeed on the Ferry between Edmunds and Kingston. Some of the area is still the land of whales, seals, starfish, sand dollars and other beach combing treasures. Did you get out to the Pacific Ocean? Did you drive up Hurricane Ridge out on the Peninsula? Did you check out the Hoh Rain Forest? How about Pike Street Market? Great times out there....

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

We are at this time at Long Beach WA, and have been since Sunday. Be heading back to Renton in a few hours. The storms have been pleasant and have had quite bit of dry time. The rolling of the waves from beach is always in the background, even now and we are about half mile from the beach.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

DaveA wrote:We are at this time at Long Beach WA, and have been since Sunday. Be heading back to Renton in a few hours. The storms have been pleasant and have had quite bit of dry time. The rolling of the waves from beach is always in the background, even now and we are about half mile from the beach.
I'm so envious!! It's such a beautiful area with lighthouses, great beach combing...living starfish, sand dollars etc. I remember creating beach art with our collection; using the beach as our canvas and as I recall it was soooo exhilarating soaking up the sights, sounds and smells of the ocean. It was smell-a-vision at its best. I visited there, but we stayed up at Pacific Beach where the military R&R place is and roamed around Ocean Shores. The most amazing sunsets I have ever seen as the hot molten rays melted into the glassy surface of the waves. Did ya happen to get down to Astoria where the Columbia Light Ship is docked? It was amazing watching the harbor seals playfully serenading us as we ate our lunch out on the veranda of a local pub. Music is everywhere and anywhere you happen to catch it. Lucky YOU.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

How about some good ole Beethoven as we head to a full moon on the 30th
Moonlight Sonata

WyllyWylly
NewLounger

Post by WyllyWylly »

I have to admit that I didn't read through the entire thread, just a quick skim, but I would be interested in this for many reasons, not the least of which is the fact that I've given up on IT as a "career" and am trying to make it in the industry. The music industry, I mean. More to the point, I'd like to share audio production/editing tips and ideas with other users. Everything from building a DAW to the final product. I would imagine such a forum, if it were to be created, could also include the video side as well (NLE, Non-Linear Editing). Just my two cents. When our debut is ready for public consumption, I will be glad to post links in Scuttlebutt for those interested in listening, but it's the discussion that I'm after. Homerecording.com is a place that I visit from time to time, but I find it overrun with idiot discussions, and the Lounge has never been a place for that kind of thing.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Great to see you here Mark! I'm looking forward to your début - do keep us updated :smile:
Leif

WyllyWylly
NewLounger

Post by WyllyWylly »

Good to see you also, my friend. I will gladly keep you updated. For now, I can share two of the finals, mixing on the release should be complete in about two weeks. Both of these tracks are slated for single release in the future.
Hope you all enjoy :smile:

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

WyllyWylly wrote:Good to see you also, my friend.
Hey Mark, who is that little one in the avatar? Someone new in your family? :clapping:

WyllyWylly
NewLounger

Post by WyllyWylly »

Yes. My daughter Leila, who turned one yesterday. She's my associate producer.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

WyllyWylly wrote:Yes. My daughter Leila, who turned one yesterday. She's my associate producer.
In other words, the group is working on a new song. If she smiles, it's a go, otherwise back to re-writing, huh?

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

WyllyWylly wrote:Yes. My daughter Leila, who turned one yesterday. She's my associate producer.
A big hearty welcome to you and your associate producer, Leila. She's a real cutie pie and I look forward with great anticipation to her assessments on your musical renditions. :music:

WyllyWylly
NewLounger

Post by WyllyWylly »

Close, Al. We're mixing down the LP and when her little butt starts bouncing I know we got it right. :grin: We've actually got material planned out as far as three full length releases, I need to make use of her help before she becomes a teenager like my other two.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

WyllyWylly wrote:Close, Al. We're mixing down the LP and when her little butt starts bouncing I know we got it right. :grin: We've actually got material planned out as far as three full length releases, I need to make use of her help before she becomes a teenager like my other two.
Hey Mark,
Good to see you here! And your daughter is a "chip off the ole block" :grin: She is beautiful!
And musical bouncing! I like that idea! :grin:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.