Musicality

HansV
Administrator

Re: Musicality

Post by HansV »

Attachments will always be on a line of their own.

You *can* add pictures inline if they're on a web server somewhere, by using the [img]image_URL[/img] tags. This will only work with URLs.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:Attachments will always be on a line of their own.

You *can* add pictures inline if they're on a web server somewhere, by using the [img]image_URL[/img] tags. This will only work with URLs.
Thanks I was trying to figure out how to add one more as the smilie :music: just has the 3.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Like this?
B1.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:Like this?
B1.gif
awwww that's even better hehe~!~!

how 'bout this...but too big for signature.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Or
B2.gif
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

like this?
beatles Hey Jude.gif
B2.gif

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hey Jude wrote:like this?
beatles Hey Jude.gif
Oh, the Yellow Submarine. :smile:
If we are going to have some sing-along, how about this:

"... And our friends are all aboard
Many more of them live next door
And the band begins to play ..."

Yellow Submarine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCsYDZ2M04M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

:rofl:
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hey Jude wrote: [snip]
It would be a great way for me, as a newcomer to appreciate the rhythmic sensitivities of other members.
I have been playing some woodwind instruments for some, eh, decades. Not so much the last ten years. I don't know if that counts as musicality; I have met several people not playing an instrument but being very musical, but of course, there is the opposite as well. :grin: As several here, I like to listen to many kinds of music (with some, few, exceptions; some being very local to the Nordic countries).
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Argus wrote:
Hey Jude wrote:like this?
beatles Hey Jude.gif
Oh, the Yellow Submarine. :smile:
If we are going to have some sing-along, how about this:

"... And our friends are all aboard
Many more of them live next door
And the band begins to play ..."

Yellow Submarine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCsYDZ2M04M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I love Yellow Submarine and at the time this song came out, I was touring one of our nuclear subs at
Groton, CT since my Naval career father just had to expose us kids to his world. I remember thinking that subs are NOT for tall folks hehe as I kept banging my head as we made our way thru each bulk head, but I digress.....

I quite appreciate your "musicality" and yes, I meant it in the broadest of terms. I enjoy sharing various genres of music which appeal to others. Whether you can or cannot play any formal instrument makes no difference. It has been known for centuries that the common denominator of music is its universality. Thank you for sharing about the woodwinds. It's great listening to these songs knowing others are out there listening too. It creates camaraderie and cements friendships quickly. :thankyou:

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

jonwallace wrote:I quite like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfoccRna6I :fanfare:
Since you brought this one up...Your Beatnix version is quite charming in a Beatnix sort of way :fanfare: I so enjoy the Led Zeppelin version better but only because of the great acoustical and piano sections which you can just hammer and drive to a frenetic climax. I even enjoy Zappa's rendition as well.
Thanks for sharing in this revealing thread :clapping: :fanfare:

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hey Jude wrote:[snip]
I even enjoy Zappa's rendition as well.
[snip]
Now that you mention him; :grin: I was going to say earlier that all this with music can be a bit complicated in one way, and very simple in another (that is: you like it, or not). People can have the most disparate musical tastes, but still share some musical taste. In this case, for example, I don't think that my musical taste is so much different than yours, but still not entirely the same, of course; I have some Zappa albums (some odd, even the "Francesco", :grin: not by him). Great musician ( :whisper: I have his book, as well, so it was serious. :wink: ).

For some more music links; how about this old Swedish folk song, interpreted by the very good Jan Johansson, from the album "Jazz in Swedish": Visa från Utanmyra

He performed with several artists. Here he is also playing, in a different context, a song (with very funny lyrics in Swedish) by the great Swedish singer-songwriter/"troubadour" Cornelis Vreeswijk (emigrated from North Holland); bass player is the excellent Georg Riedel who also performed in the above album (also emigrated, from former Czechoslovakia): Ångbåtsblues (Steam boat blues) :smile:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Cornelis Vreeswijk is still well-known in The Netherlands, although he wasn't as popular here as in Sweden by far.
His song "De nozem en de non" (The punk and the nun) and one or two others still get airplay.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Mmm, yes. Ik heb begrepen dat..., that he had a few "hits". He acquired a great command of the Swedish language, probably had a Swedish accent in his Dutch... :smile:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

He spoke Dutch without an accent, but his diction became slightly old-fashioned because he hadn't lived in The Netherlands for such a long time.
Best wishes,
Hans

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

I have sung in choirs for many years, having learnt as a high school exchane student in the US. Choir as a class, one hour a day every day- that was cool.

I haven't sung in a choir since the business started, but I will be looking at correcting that this year.

A favourite group for me is the A cappella group "Idea of North"- who won the world harmony sweepstakes in the US a few years back. They originated in Canberra, but don't perform here very often now :-( Some beautiful precise harmony, with vocal percussion- primarily jazz, going into gospel with some other classics.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

GeoffW wrote:I have sung in choirs for many years, having learnt as a high school exchane student in the US. Choir as a class, one hour a day every day- that was cool.

A favourite group for me is the A cappella group "Idea of North"- who won the world harmony sweepstakes in the US a few years back. They originated in Canberra, but don't perform here very often now :-( Some beautiful precise harmony, with vocal percussion- primarily jazz, going into gospel with some other classics.
I'm so glad you shared this. I hadn't heard them and they have a lovely blending of their voices. http://www.harmony-sweepstakes.com/champions.html You know a few years back I went to this competition and heard Hi- Fidelity who were absolutely awesome. Of course, my all-time-fav is the King Singers who I was introduced to in the early 80's with their wonderful rendition of Flight of the Bumblebee by Rimsky-Korsakov. I remember recording them to a VHS--that long ago--and playing it repeatedly. To this day I have every CD/DVD that they put out. My Holiday season isn't complete without hearing their madrigals. They were the group that really were inspirational in crossing the barrier for me from barbershop quartets to not only classical but ethnic collections from various parts of the globe. As I type this, I am listening/watching "Isn't She Lovely" and she truly is :grin: I'm looking for some more of their music.

So where were you an exchange student? (You brought this up) We had a couple of them in my high school and certainly profited from learning about cultural differences.
I started singing in church and school programs and became a member of the JR/HS choirs and ensembles by voice and by being the accompanist.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Argus wrote:
Hey Jude wrote:[snip]
I even enjoy Zappa's rendition as well.
[snip]
Now that you mention him; :grin: I was going to say earlier that all this with music can be a bit complicated in one way, and very simple in another (that is: you like it, or not). People can have the most disparate musical tastes, but still share some musical taste. In this case, for example, I don't think that my musical taste is so much different than yours, but still not entirely the same, of course; I have some Zappa albums (some odd, even the "Francesco", :grin: not by him). Great musician ( :whisper: I have his book, as well, so it was serious. :wink: ).

For some more music links; how about this old Swedish folk song, interpreted by the very good Jan Johansson, from the album "Jazz in Swedish": Visa från Utanmyra

He performed with several artists. Here he is also playing, in a different context, a song (with very funny lyrics in Swedish) by the great Swedish singer-songwriter/"troubadour" Cornelis Vreeswijk (emigrated from North Holland); bass player is the excellent Georg Riedel who also performed in the above album (also emigrated, from former Czechoslovakia): Ångbåtsblues (Steam boat blues) :smile:
Having Swedish roots through my paternal great-grandmother makes this folk song dear to my heart. I'm checking out the links you provided and broadening my musical library. Thanks so much~!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtd2Hn2KMpY
And, yes, it's serious when you buy the "book" hehe~! Some of my most heartwarming times are spent playing the great gospel hymns, arrangements and contemporary Christian classics out there today. When my soul needs replenished and refreshed, time well spent at the piano can accomplish this.

Thanks, Argus...this is very insightful!~~!~! You've given me another puzzle piece into the make-up of "Argus" and this is great :clapping:

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hey Jude wrote: [snip]
I'm checking out the links you provided and broadening my musical library. Thanks so much~!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtd2Hn2KMpY
[snip]
Thanks, Argus...this is very insightful!~~!~! You've given me another puzzle piece into the make-up of "Argus" and this is great :clapping:
Hello again,
Please don't take this as nitpicking; but please don't mix Jan Johansson with Jan Johansen. :smile: Sadly, Jan Johansson died in 1968. I listen to most music, including "John's early", :grin: but not to "schlager".

But we have, and have had, several other good musicians here, as in most countries.

Since you mention King Singers, and choirs; some 10 months ago we had a thread started by Skitterbug, with a very funny example, and with several other excellent examples. I don't want to blow my own horn, :pun: eh, the Swedish horn, again, since this is already mentioned there, but if you have missed it, in that thread, when discussing a capella, I mentioned "The Real Group" and among other this Count Basie-medley.

It's possible to listen to several samples and watch some videos (under Archive) at their site: http://www.realgroup.se/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For example this one: Dancing Queen (with Frida). Or this: Prime Time Blues

(One member left the group some years ago after 22 years, so they have been doing it for a while.)