Musicality

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Musicality

Post by Hey Jude »

Might it be possible oh great ones to have a topic devoted to musicality? It would be a great way for me, as a newcomer to appreciate the rhythmic sensitivities of other members. :music:
Last edited by Hey Jude on 26 Jan 2010, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Musicality

Post by John Gray »

Have a look at John Gray's Profile!
I'm a confirmed Tallisite...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hey Jude wrote:Might it be possible oh great ones to have a topic devoted to musicality? [snip]
Sorry for my off topic post, but, eh, you just created a topic devoted to musicality. :fanfare: :evilgrin: :laugh:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I like to listen to many kinds of music, but I'm not musical at all in the sense of being able to play an instrument or to sing.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

I come from a very musical family. My father played the piano, my mother the violin. Even the sewing machine was a Singer.
Leif

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

My kids are all musical, but I can't even sing in tune.
StuartR

D Willett
SilverLounger

Post by D Willett »

My Dad would pick up his guitar and take to his boozer, sitting in the corner and just make anything fit 3 chords, "C,G,F", so embarrassing when I was in my teens.
Reaching my late twenties, he was still at it but I would visit in awe...., same songs, same chords, somehow maturity made them sound better.
Always had guitars around us. I've played for years but not very well.
But, plucked up the courage and booked some lessons, the first one being last night !! Back at school at my age lol......

:fanfare:
Cheers ...

Dave.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm almost in the same boat as Hans. I love "almost" all music except possibly rap, hiphop and what's called (I think) hard rock. But as a kid I guess I inherited some of my mother's (Irish) singing genes. I used to be a pretty fair tenor until 50 years of smoking lessened my breathing control. I've never sung professionally but in choirs, gospel quartet, barbershop choruses and the best fun of my lifetime - a couple of years with an amateur barbershop quartet.

See: The Calumets    (taken after our lone contest competition - we didn't win.)

PS Thanks for the tab code, Hans!

Catz
StarLounger

Post by Catz »

I'd love to see a topic devoted to music.

I like all types of music, but I am not able to hold a tune .

In fact my singing has been outlawed on most civilized planets. :blush:

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

This is GREAT :clapping: :grin: :laugh: Thanks peoples for your insightful responses. I'm on :cloud9:

I have played the piano since I was 5 years old and certainly enjoy tinkling the ivories with the great classical compositions; Beethoven is my absolute fav as well as Bach, Mozart, Haydyn and a whole slew of others. Whenever I have the opportunity I frequent outdoor concert venues at Ravinia (Highland Park, IL). It's easy absorbing a host of genres with all the wonderful collegiate/university concerts available year round. I've watched Edgar Meyer making love to his bass in concert with Bela Fleck--world's best virtuoso on the banjo. The two of them together mesmerized me for 2 solid hours of sheer delight. Then add Chris Thile into the mix and the blend is absolute perfection I watched these 2 at Dominican University in River Forest IL by sheer luck and was in for one of the best concerts of my life. Edgar Meyer Chris Thile    

I thought it would be great, that even if you aren't musically inclined yourself, that this could be the place where you could play performances so I could enjoy some of your favourites. We've already had our first sing-along with Hey Jude    and I'd love to have alot more while I'm cruising this site :coffeetime:
Last edited by Hey Jude on 26 Jan 2010, 16:45, edited 2 times in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have Edgar Meyer's violin concerto on CD, I like it very much.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:I have Edgar Meyer's violin concerto on CD, I like it very much.
WOOHOOOO~!!~~! I was introduced to Edgar and Bela by a CD I received for Christmas called Uncommon Ritual. I went to a Northwestern U concert one Sunday afternoon about 4 years ago and it was featured as dueling guitars. My thrill started when Edgar stepped up on the stage and totally absorbed my attention for the next hour. I have never in my life witnessed a musician at one with his own bass. Thereafter whenever I found him in the area I would get tickets to go get re-inspired. Appalachian Journey is also in my CD collection. Thanks Hans for sharing that :artist:

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Bigaldoc wrote: I love "almost" all music except possibly rap, hiphop and what's called (I think) hard rock. But as a kid I guess I inherited some of my mother's (Irish) singing genes. I used to be a pretty fair tenor until 50 years of smoking lessened my breathing control. I've never sung professionally but in choirs, gospel quartet, barbershop choruses and the best fun of my lifetime - a couple of years with an amateur barbershop quartet.

See: The Calumets    (taken after our lone contest competition - we didn't win.)
Who is that handsome dude, AL?????? (How did you embed that url so it was hidden?) All I see is URL on the bar. Barbershop quartets have been replaced by a cappella men's groups and are the rage now at campuses all over the US that I know of. Watching these guys do their thing without formal instruments is nothing short of amazing in my estimation. This is my favourite by Straight No Chaser.
Straight No Chaser     Initially you are entertained with Google ads :shrug:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hey Jude wrote:(How did you embed that url so it was hidden?)
Al nested url and img tags in his signature: [url=...][img]...[/img][/url]. This makes the image act as a clickable link.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Thanks LOL I went and quoted him and copied his syntax so just tried to edit my previous posts....Thanks Hans. Takes me awhile but once I see it I can do it....

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Hey Jude wrote:Thanks LOL I went and quoted him and copied his syntax so just tried to edit my previous posts....Thanks Hans. Takes me awhile but once I see it I can do it....
Lessee if I can do this here in our new place, post a little javascript that is!

Actually, what I used is a javascript bookmark created by Alan Miller back three-Lounges ago. It allows you to go somewhere, anywhere on the web to some page or whatever URL. You then click this bookmark(let) and a small window pops up with the code. Hit Ctrl-C to copy it and then simply paste it into your post. You can then edit the description (as I did in my post above) if you don't like the "title" the web page is providing.

Let's see if javascript is "postable" here, cuz I'm an amateur at that too:

javascript:%20void(prompt('Lounge%20URL',''%20+%20document.title%20+%20''%20));

(Looks like it's OK, so just copy it to a bookmark as shown below). This (Alan's post) was one of many "Star Posts" in the old, old Lounge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Hey Jude wrote:Thanks LOL I went and quoted him and copied his syntax so just tried to edit my previous posts....Thanks Hans. Takes me awhile but once I see it I can do it....
The sin tax, I can deal wih. Love most music except those mentioned ( rap,hip hop etc )
Singing? I can't carry a tune in a bag! :innocent:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

"Scream" is available as a smilie - type :scream: to get :scream:
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

viking33 wrote: The sin tax, I can deal with. Love most music except those mentioned ( rap,hip hop etc )
Singing? I can't carry a tune in a bag! :innocent:
Isn't it a sin to be having so much fun????? :scream:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:"Scream" is available as a smilie - type :scream: to get :scream:
Just picked that one from random in my own page of smilies.
What I'm rying to do is add ANY smilie that I have on my own PC but it gets added as an attachment, not just into the text area as a normal smilie would be.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.