DVD Drive Not Working in Win 10 Laptop

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

DVD Drive Not Working in Win 10 Laptop

Post by hlewton »

I have an older laptop running Windows 10 ver. 22H2. It the DVD drive has stopped working for some reason. I uninstalled it and restarted and the computer reinstalled the DVD driver for the DVD drive. It still is not working. When I put a CD in it I get a dialog box that says “E:\ The directory name is invalid. See first attachment” After the CD is in I see DVD RW Drive (E:) in the tree side of Windows File Explorer, see second attachment. If click on that I see what can be seen in the 3rd or last attachment. I have uninstalled this device in the Device Manager and on reboot it reinstalled but I get all the same results. How can I fix this so the DVD drive works again?
Error.jpg
Tree.jpg
Directory.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: DVD Drive Not Working in Win 10 Laptop

Post by HansV »

Have you tried copying a file to a data DVD?

Do you have any music or video DVDs?
If so, what happens if you insert such a DVD?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 08:30
Have you tried copying a file to a data DVD?

Do you have any music or video DVDs?
If so, what happens if you insert such a DVD?
I did copy 7 files to a blank DVD using Nero Burning ROM. I copied the files but I could not access them once copied. I took the DVD to another computer and verified they were actually burned on the DVD and they were.

A movie DVD just keeps clicking and does nothing. The same for a music CD. They do give the same error message listed in the first attachment above on upon ejecting the disk though.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That makes me think it's a hardware error...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 13:23
That makes me think it's a hardware error...
You mean it is a bad DVD/CD drive itself?
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Error.jpg
It may be that the drive itself is bad. In a search for the error in the attachment, it seems that it is talking about an USB drive. This is not an USB, it is part of the laptop's installed hardware. I'll keep searching but really have not come up with anything that has worked for me yet.

Here is what I found, "What does D :\ The directory name is invalid mean?
Image result for how to fix the directory name is invalid in windows 10 for installed hardware
If Windows says the directory name is invalid when your USB, SD card, or external hard drive is connected, it may be caused by the USB port you're connecting to. If the USB port is faulty, it can act erratically when devices are connected and break down communication between the device and your operating system."
Does this mean somehow the internal drive has lost its connection to the motherboard? I just don's find anything else except about USB drives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm not a hardware expert, but it does look to me that either the DVD drive is faulty, or the connection between the drive and the motherboard.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 16:12
I'm not a hardware expert, but it does look to me that either the DVD drive is faulty, or the connection between the drive and the motherboard.
I forgot I did find and do all listed Here Nothing worked.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I guess I have to stop believing what I find on the Internet. I am no at all sure if I made my problem worse or not. Here is what I did:
Method 4 – Remove and reinstall IDE/ATAPI Drivers

To remove and reinstall IDE/ATAPI driver, follow these steps:
1. From Start, search for Device Manager. Open Device Manager from the search results, and select the View menu. Choose Show Hidden Devices.
2. Expand IDE/ATAPI Controllers, and then:
o Select and right-click ATA Channel 0, and then click Uninstall
o Select and right-click ATA Channel 1, and then click Uninstall

o Select and right-click Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller, and then click Uninstall
o If there are additional entries, right-click them and then choose Uninstall
3. Reboot the device.
After the computer restarts, the drivers will be automatically installed.

If your problem is not solved, try the next method.

I deleted the 2 items I have made bold above. I could not identify, with any confidence, the next 2 items listed. The problem is they were supposed to be reinstalled after a reboot but they never returned. I'm glad I did not delete the other 2 items, please see attachment, that were there because not sure how they would have affected the computer. Even though the 2 drivers I deleted did not reinstall, I do not notice any difference at all it how the computer performs. Not sure what to think about that.
IDE.jpg
I was in a chat with ASUS because I also found on the Internet that the problem I described why this thread was created in the first place could possibly be fixed by installing a chipset driver made specifically for my model number of the computer. ASUS does not have anything for my computer, probably because it is so old. Anyway, the fellow in chat suggested I update the BIOS. I have never done that before but I unzipped the file he linked me to and it only had one file in it, K50IJAS.218. It does not open by any means I have tried so, again, in searching the net it says to put the file on a properly-formatted USB drive. I assume that means on a USB stick. Then Restart PC and access BIOS menu during POST. I believe that means open the BIOS. From there, nothing is defined. Since this download is specific to my model I assume there is a means to update the BIOS but I am not sure how. Any advice would be appreciated because I just don't trust what I find on the NET on this subject since my fiasco above with IDE drivers.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I need some advice. I have only 1 more thing I can try and that is editing the Registry. But there are 2 steps I may have to perform. I believe I know how to back up the Registry by exporting the key but I am asking for confirmation on that. The first key I need to edit is - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} Do I, once I find that key, only back up that "subkey" or do I back up the entire HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key? If the edit causes Windows not to boot up, is there anything I can do with that exported key, if I save it on an USB stick, to get Windows functioning again?

I wanted to edit this to keep it all together because I now have more concerns. First let me show what I am trying to do this is what I found on the WEB as a possible solution:
3. In the navigation pane, locate and then select the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4. In the right pane, select UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
5. On the Edit menu, select Delete.
6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, select Yes.
7. In the right pane, select LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, go to the next method.
8. On the Edit menu, select Delete.
9. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, select Yes.
10. Exit Registry Editor.
11. Restart the computer.
Note: To use this method, you must be logged on to Windows as an administrator. To verify that you are signed in as an administrator, bring up the Control Panel, select User Accounts, and then choose Manage User Accounts.

I ran the Registry and had it search for the entire key I posted above which I am supposed to edit. The search did not find the key. I did a manual search and, unless I'm mistaken, I found the key but there is no UpperFilters or LowerFilters to edit but there are 4 other "keys" under the key I believe I found. Please see attachments.

I clicked on every one of those other keys under the one I found and there still was no UpperFilters or LowerFilters to be found. However, when I clicked on the last key named Properties, I got an error message. Any ideas what I should do from here?
Key.jpg
Key1.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I think that Hans was probably right and this is a hardware error. You probably just need to buy a new DVD drive.
StuartR

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

hlewton wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 17:20
3. In the navigation pane, locate and then select the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I ran the Registry and had it search for the entire key I posted above which I am supposed to edit. The search did not find the key. I did a manual search and, unless I'm mistaken, I found the key but there is no UpperFilters or LowerFilters to edit but there are 4 other "keys" under the key I believe I found. Please see attachments.
You missed the first part of the instruction in step 4. You should be looking in the right pane, not the left pane, for UpperFilters.
1.png

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Jay Freedman wrote:
18 Feb 2023, 00:48
hlewton wrote:

You missed the first part of the instruction in step 4. You should be looking in the right pane, not the left pane, for UpperFilters.
1.png
I did look in the Right pane of every choice I clicked on in the left pane. I found no UpperFilters or LowerFilters but I will check again just to be absolutely certain.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The idea was to delete UpperFilters. Since it is not present in your registry, the problem is moot...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Jay Freedman wrote:
18 Feb 2023, 00:48
hlewton wrote:

1.png
Jay, I checked again and I am going to attach a screenshot so you can see there is no UpperFilters or LowerFilters in the Right pane. Maybe that could be the problem but I did not find anything telling me how to correct that situation. The Key is inside a red box and it is also shaded so you can be assured it is the correct key, at least I believe it is.

Let me ask this, In the Registry Editor under Edit I searched for the entire key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and the search did not find it. Searching by drilling down to that key, I found it. Is that a common occurrence? I know I searched for the correct key because I copied and pasted it, even tried the search twice. That seemed strange to me.
RegKey.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 23:16
I think that Hans was probably right and this is a hardware error. You probably just need to buy a new DVD drive.
I know and that is why I'm trying to eliminate anything else that could be the reason because this computer is so old there may not be a replacement for the drive. But, what bothers me even more is if I did replace the drive the problem may still be there. I do have an external DVD drive I can use if I had to. I rarely ever used this drive in the past and the only reason I tried to use it now was to install an USB WiFi adapter to replace the internal WiFi adapter, which I think is getting bad.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You didn't find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} since it is not a key, but the full path to the key.
If you search for the key {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, you should find it.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
18 Feb 2023, 13:03
You didn't find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} since it is not a key, but the full path to the key.
If you search for the key {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, you should find it.
OH, that makes sense. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton