Windows 11 Update Stopped Blu Ray Burners From Working

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Windows 11 Update Stopped Blu Ray Burners From Working

Post by hlewton »

Well I just set the desktop to run the program as Administrator and it is still doing the same thing in not playing the DVD. Something is very strange here.
Regards,
hlewton

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Trace the program the shortcut points and try running as Administrator directly.
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 19:00
Trace the program the shortcut points and try running as Administrator directly.
Thank you. I will give that a try as soon as I can.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 19:00
Nope, that didn't work either and neither did running that Vipre Rescue. I am totally out of ideas. I suppose if I ever want to have any hope of these programs running again on this machine, I am going to have to have my computer builder reformat the drive and start all over. I hate doing that because I have so many programs installed and personal settings for a lot of them.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

What I have discovered so far is that no matter what drive it is, internal, external, Asus, or LG windows picks the exact same driver for it. I don't think it is the driver because the same exact drives using the same driver work well on my other computers. Windows 11 has been reloaded on this machine and that did not help. I think I know the answer to what I am about to ask because I ordered a brand new external Blu-Ray drive and it too did not work.

I am wondering if I disconnected the internal drives is there anything else I would need to do to make sure Windows forgot they ever existed? Would I only have to run the machine a day or two or would I have to search for and delete any files that may remind Windows it once had 2 Asus internal disk drives hooked up? Because, as i mentioned above about the new external Blu-Ray drive I tried, probably once I hooked them back up I'd still have the same problem. Are there any thoughts or suggestions on this idea?
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well I hate to have to revisit this thread but I do have to. My computer crashed and I had it rebuilt making sure the hard drive (SSD) was reformatted. Of course when I got it back yesterday it worked and played DVDs again. I was being diligent and testing to make sure it continued to play DVDs after each installation of another app. It worked. Then this morning I got that little notification that my computer had to be restarted for updates to be installed. After rebooting, the DVDs no longer played. I checked the Windows Update site and found no installations I could uninstall. I am as confused as ever. I opened Revo Uninstaller Pro and looked for what may have been installed that may have caused my problem to reoccur. I found so many apps that were installed since getting my computer back yesterday that I did NOT install. Please see the attachments showing these apps and the date they were installed. I intend to uninstall those Xbox apps but outside that, not sure what other apps I could uninstall. Any suggestions. Also, any idea how these were installed since I did not willing do it?
Didn't install.jpg
Didn't install1.jpg
Didn't install2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Most of them are Microsoft apps that come with Windows. You can uninstall some of them (permanently), but not all...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
22 Dec 2022, 20:00
Most of them are Microsoft apps that come with Windows. You can uninstall some of them (permanently), but not all...
I saw they were Microsoft apps but the day of their installation was confusing when the computer was rebuilt and the OS installed on, I believe the 15th. Do you think it is safe to uninstall the XBox apps? I will never have an Xbox, that's for sure.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I assume they were already installed, but updated to the latest version automatically - that's why they are dated on the 21st.
You can probably uninstall all of the XBox items except for the XBox Game Bar - the Uninstall option is always disabled for me.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK, thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

hlewton wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 16:01
I did contact the person who built my computer...

and

hlewton wrote:
22 Dec 2022, 19:37
My computer crashed and I had it rebuilt...

Wouldn't it just be easier to ask whoever built/rebuilt your computer to sort it out?
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 07:32

Wouldn't it just be easier to ask whoever built/rebuilt your computer to sort it out?
That was the first person I contacted back when this first started. He tried, to the best of his ability and knowledge, but came up empty. He builds them but does not know all the ins and outs of the OS and what could cause this problem. By-the-way, neither does the ASUS technicians or Microsoft's second level of support that supports Windows 11. They all tried before I crashed the computer. When I got it back, I took my time and tested its ability to play DVDs after every program I installed. It worked. Then, I got the message that the computer needed to be restarted to install updates and after that it quit working again. I looked at Windows Update history and what I could uninstall and found nothing with yesterday's date. It is frustrating, believe me, not to mention costly, as well.
Regards,
hlewton

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

I know I have posted a few suggestions in this thread but I will have to admit I have run out of suggestions.

You got the system rebuilt and the DVD started working … but then it failed after an update. Even if you had the system backed up before the update and performed a restore, the problem would reoccur the moment the update would be reapplied.

As said, I have run out of ideas, sorry. :sad:
Regards,
Bob

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobArch2 wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 20:44
I know I have posted a few suggestions in this thread but I will have to admit I have run out of suggestions.

You got the system rebuilt and the DVD started working … but then it failed after an update. Even if you had the system backed up before the update and performed a restore, the problem would reoccur the moment the update would be reapplied.

As said, I have run out of ideas, sorry. :sad:
Yes, me too. Luckily everything else, as far as those internal drives is concerned, works well. I am quitting trying to fix it and hoping that eventually MS comes up with an update that fixes the problem. However, I am not holding my breath on that hope. :cheers:
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I saw this as a suggestion:
Disable the DMA mode of the optical drive
To disable the DMA mode on the optical drive, follow these instructions:

Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
In the Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc then press the Enter key.
In the Device Manager window, expand DVD or CD-ROM drives.
Right-click the optical drive and select Properties.
Click the Advanced Settings tab.
Under Device Properties, clear the Enable DMA checkbox.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 21:36

Thank you Joe. I will look into that. Please let me ask this first if you may know the answer. If I disable the DMA mode will the drive still function as it does now in that it can read data and music CDs and burn to a disk in them from programs like Nero Burning Rom? I found this but not sure exactly what it means as far as keeping the drive functioning. Direct Memory Access, lets hard drives and CD/DVD drives access the system memory.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 21:36

Well I did look into doing this and apparently I do not even have the option since I don't have an Advanced Settings tab. Please see attachment. I did open all the other tabs and found no Advanced Settings there either. Thanks for the suggestion.
DMA.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Let's step back a minute. What software are you using to play the DVD/Blu-Ray media?
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
25 Dec 2022, 21:28
Let's step back a minute. What software are you using to play the DVD/Blu-Ray media?
I have tried various programs but the one I count on is Leawo Blu-Ray player. If it works, then a program I really need to use works, as well. That program is what I really want to be able to use. I use it legitimately for backup copies of DVDs I purchase and when Leawo Blu-Ray player won't play a DVD, that program can't read it either. Actually, that is not entirely true,. it will read it, and I have never let it finish trying to make my backup copy because instead of it taking 20 to 30 minutes, it says it will take 20 to 24 hours. I have let it try for as long as 30 minutes and that time stays steady and only shows 1% progress.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Do you have the most current versions of all the player software?
Joe