Now I Cannot Boot My Desktop

BobH
UraniumLounger

Now I Cannot Boot My Desktop

Post by BobH »

What started out as a simple swap out of a cable modem/router and installation of a second router has turned into a disaster.

As reported in other posts, I managed to lose mouse functionality on my desktop system. After trying everything suggested here and on other web pages found by searching, I finally decided to restore from a backup. The restore did not complete successfully. I was presented with the option of removing the restore which I chose. Now my system is dead. As a last resort, I decided to reinstall Windows 7 and go through all that a reinstall of the OS entails. When I power the system down, insert the disk in the reader and power up again - thinking that the system will try to boot from the DVD drive ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAPPENS!!!!!

To make matters worse, I can't remember how to boot to get to system options to be certain that the first boot choice is the DVD device.

Adding insult to injury, I'm forced to use this Dell laptop which is slow as molasses in February in the Northern Hemisphere on which I cannot disable the touchpad making typing a nightmare.

Please! Anyone, please help this demented old man??!!??
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Now I Cannot Boot My Desktop

Post by Argus »

You should be able to use the Del-key (Delete) to access BIOS (it's usually that or F2, or both).

I'm sure you will find the boot options (device list and priority) in BIOS; sometimes there is also a boot menu in BIOS or a boot override menu to select a drive for the next boot only, otherwise just change boot priority in list.

You can find the mobo manual here:
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Produc ... 24&LanID=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear about your PC issues...

Did you have a look at the posts from Argus and Joe in your other thread? If you did not come right with that, then maybe see if this video will help?

With regards to your dead desktop, I'm hoping the other technical guru's can help with that.... My usual advice is to use System Restore Points, but that's out of the question here... :sad:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

mrjimphelps
NewLounger

Post by mrjimphelps »

Remove all power from the computer -- unplug it from the electrical outlet, and remove the CMOS battery. If there is any other powered line connected to the computer, disconnect it (e.g. a USB cable which is connected to something with power, an Ethernet cable which is plugged into the router). Wait about 10 minutes, then reinstall the CMOS battery (or replace it if needed), and plug the computer into the electrical outlet. Not only will this clear any errors which are preventing you from being able to correctly boot the computer, but it will also force the computer to let you into the setup screen in order to reset the date and time.

While in setup, you can make sure that the DVD drive is before the hard drive in the boot order. (I suggest that you also put "external device" [e.g. a flash drive] before the hard drive in the boot order.) Be sure to save the changes before you exit setup. You should now be able to boot from the DVD.

Whenever you want to boot from the DVD, shut the computer down completely then restart it, because a simple "reboot" might not do the trick.

When you boot the computer, be watching for the prompt "Hit any key to boot from the CD/DVD", or something like that. You will have only a second to hit any key when that prompt appears, so be ready.