Printer refuses to print colours

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Printer refuses to print colours

Post by Dave Davison »

<< Posted 2010-07-19 20:09 on Woody's lounge from the computer of a friend.
Have HP deskjet 940c printer - will not print colours
Also tried Epson Stylus C46 which was previously printing all colours - will not now print colours on my computer - any ideas please?
:flee: many thanks DD >>

I have just purchased an Epson SX210 printer and seeing the printer of a friend of mine would not print colour I offered her my old Epson C46 which was working perfectly. However, upon installing the software for the latter on her computer, it too will not print colour. My friend had previously taken her printer to the local computer shop where it was suggested by the owner that it was related to the jets on the compatible cartridges she was using. This latest development seems to confirm the suspicions of my friend that there must be some fault with her computer. seeing it prevails with two different printers. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Regards dd :scratch:

HansV
Administrator

Re: Printer refuses to print colours

Post by HansV »

Have you tried printing a self-test page? See Epson - How to perform a Printer Operation Check (click on SX210) and Printing a Test Page HP Deskjet 940c Printer for instructions.
Does the test page show colours?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Yes Hans I did a colour test print and it only printed black. (not a trace of colour at all) Very strange, as only yesterday I used the Epson with my computer and it worked perfectly. By the way [not that it is important] but I indicated my new printer is an Epson SX210 (should have wrote SX215.) I'm sure my friend would very much appreciate any further suggestions. Does the fact that two printers not printing colours suggest the fault lies with the computer rather than the printers? Regards Dave.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Within most color printer "Properties"area there is a check box to print ONLY B/W.
Look for this entry and make sure the setting is set to allow color printing.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If the printer self test page is only black and white, it's not a problem with the computer, for the self test page is generated entirely by the printer. It doesn't even need to be connected to the computer. So it looks like there's a problem with the colour cartridge(s) and/or nozzles. Do the printers themselves have an LCD panel where you can change the printer's setup? If so, go through the available settings, and do as Dave suggested.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks gents...I do remember ages ago seeing a tab for "Print Black only" when familiarizing myself with the settings of the Epson C46 BUT have had a look for just such a tab for my SX215 & note the only option other than colour is Grayscale.
Will phone my friend and see if she can ascertain which tab is selected for printing. Regards Dave.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

If the printer is "Shared" accross a network, these options may not be available to the nonhosting machines. If the setting is set on the hosted machine to print only B/W, then it needs to changed on the hosting machine.
Last edited by DaveA on 20 Jul 2010, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi Dave....no the computer is not part of a network, just a lone desktop system in a spare bedroom. From replies posted it seems the fault must be with the printer settings as Hans implies such a fault does not point to the computer. Must pop round and look at the settings to see if the Black Only tab is selected. Cheers Dave.