DVI-D to VGA

adam
SilverLounger

DVI-D to VGA

Post by adam »

Hi anyone,

I'm trying to connect a DVI to VGA adapter so that I could connect the VGA cable to the CPU and monitor via the adapter. But the screen doesn't seem to show anything after connecting the adapter with the cable. What may be the reason for this?

Any help on this would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Adam

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: DVI-D to VGA

Post by Rudi »

I could be wrong, but this video shows that there might be problems receiving a video signal if the power to the adapter is too low. Notice at the 45 second mark of the video that they include a USB power cord to supply the added power to the converter. Just a possible issue??
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

More likely I think is a mismatch between the analog VGA signal and digital DVI signal. You say your cable is VGA so the signal through it will be analog, check the settings on your monitor are set to analog input.

Ken

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

My monitor is using those blue connectors with the thumb screws on each side, its an analog monitor so how can its "mode" be changed?
Best Regards,
Adam

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

adam wrote:...its an analog monitor so how can its "mode" be changed?
Umm, I suppose it can't. In which case, I'm out of ideas. Unless there is some way of telling you graphics card to output an analog signal via the DVI but as DVI is digital I suspect that can't be done.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Does your computer have both VGA and DVI ports? It sounds like it does not, but if it does simply use the VGA cable from the monitor to the VGA port. I doubt that you are going to get the cabling to swap from analog to digital with any significant success.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Yes my computer does have both VGA and DVI ports. But My monitor does not have a DVI port. Instead it has a VGA port. What I'm trying to do is to connect two monitors to my computer. One through the VGA port. The other by converting the DVI to VGA through a DVI to VGA adapter.

And i cannot get this working. Even this method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueJoPgeqSYM
Best Regards,
Adam

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

adam wrote:...What I'm trying to do is to connect two monitors to my computer. One through the VGA port. The other by converting the DVI to VGA through a DVI to VGA adapter...
That can be done, a long time ago I worked with a (XP) PC that had a Matrox graphics card with DVI & VGA that connected to two VGA only monitors, one direct VGA to VGA, the other via a DVI-VGA dongle. However, I don't remember it being a problem to set up, it just worked.

Could it be that although your PC has both a DVI & a VGA output it can't do both at once (e.g. I have a small netbook with only limited multi-monitor graphics support)? Have you right clicked on the desktop and explored all the options within 'graphics properties'?

Ken