Hardware upgrade - possible?

aekyall
4StarLounger

Hardware upgrade - possible?

Post by aekyall »

If this is in the wrong forum, please move to a more appropriate one.
Originally planning to build a new computer, principally as a makee-learnee process but also because my current PC is now 8 years old and it would be nice to have something with more capability (although I don’t game or get involved with graphics as such).

However, in order to keep costs down I’m considering whether I could just update my current model by replacing the motherboard and CPU.
I’d be grateful for any advice on a) whether replacing motherboard and CPU is feasible and b) if it is, am I likely to run into any major problems in the process that would be beyond my limited knowledge to resolve?

My current system: motherboard ATX - AS Rock N68-GS (DDR2) - BIOS
Processor – AMD Athlon II x2 250 memory DDR2

Over the years I’ve upgraded the graphics, RAM (from 2MBs to 4), power unit and have added another HDD – running W10 on one and Linux on the other Both drives are SATA).

I’m thinking of upgrading to motherboard ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 (supports AM3+) and processor AMD FX-6300 AM3+ (both trade offs between price and capability)

the new motherboard would be EUFI, not BIOS

I’d obviously have to upgrade RAM to DDR3, but other than that, any ideas what I should be aware of please? Can I assume that I would still be able to boot to Windows from my reinstalled HDD? Any advice appreciated.
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Re: Hardware upgrade - possible?

Post by HansV »

You may have to contact Microsoft - changing the motherboard will probably invalidate your Windows license.

I'd expand RAM to 8 GB. 4 GB is workable, but you might have problems if you try to run several resource-intensive applications simultaneously.
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Ah! Hadn't realised consequences re Windows license :groan: . Will have to think about that one! Agree re 8GB RAM.
Thanks
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Generally, if you contact Microsoft and explain the situation, they'll be reasonable and help you reactivate Windows.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

You mentioned having upgraded the power supply, but you should evaluate whether it's powerful enough to handle the upgrade. The CPU and the additional RAM that Hans suggested will add to the load. If it is good enough, the other question is whether it has the right set of output cables for all the peripherals. (Most older power units have only permanently attached cables, but newer ones have jacks so you can plug in the cables you need.)

Be sure to get a good CPU cooler to fit the CPU (and check that you have enough clearance in the computer's case to accommodate the cooler you choose).

The ASUS board has USB 3.0 support, which is a fantastic speed improvement over USB 2.0 -- but you won't see the improvement unless you get an external hard drive and/or thumb drive(s) that support 3.0. I highly recommend putting a SATA disk in an external enclosure that has a USB 3.0-to-SATA interface and using it for image backups.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

aekyall wrote:However, in order to keep costs down I’m considering whether I could just update my current model by replacing the motherboard and CPU.
I’d be grateful for any advice on a) whether replacing motherboard and CPU is feasible and b) if it is, am I likely to run into any major problems in the process that would be beyond my limited knowledge to resolve?
A first one would be to check the support (drivers) for the OS (since running Windows 10, and this is an older motherboard), but in this case there is no problem.

As for replacing motherboard and CPU (as you mentioned, you will need new RAM) I see no major problems. However, there are some things you should check (when upgrading only some parts).

Your old motherboard's form factor isn't ATX, but micro ATX (9.6-in x 7.0-in; 24.4 cm x 17.8 cm), 24.4 is the max length of mATX. ATX, on the other hand, is as we know longer, a standard size for many years. The motherboard you're looking at, ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0, is an ATX, at 12 inch x 9 inch (30.5 cm x 22.9 cm). The mATX form factor is backward compatible with ATX, it can use some of the mounting points in an ATX case (usually no problems), the other way around usually doesn't work (putting an ATX board in a mATX case). So, depending on the form factor of the case this can be a problem or not.

Among other things to check could include: that the BIOS version on the motherboard supports the CPU. Support for new CPUs is often added to the BIOS, and depending on which version is shipped with the board (or flashed later on, if a secondhand board), in combination with CPU, one may need to flash the BIOS, which could prove difficult if one doesn't have another (supported) CPU. (Some models of motherboards have the possibility to update the BIOS from an USB stick with no CPU or RAM on the board.) In this case support for FX-6300 was added in October 2012, with BIOS v. 1006, that is, quite early, so boards shipped that autumn should support the CPU.

As for the PSU, I'm thinking in general terms, age, quality (and as Jay mentioned cables for peripherals (and mobo power)), but I would assume that moving from the old DDR2 to DDR3 RAM would mean slightly lower power consumption. The new CPU, on the other hand, will require some more power, but it will probably be OK. (Graphics cards, on the other hand, can add quite a bit to total power consumption, but since you already have one, not running on onboard graphics on the old board, it is probably OK. Thinking about future upgrades?). But you should check the requirements and connections/cables.

I agree about cooling, a good CPU fan (and heatsink) can be nice to have, but can also be changed later on. Some complain about the noise from stock coolers; no problems with cooling in general terms when running the CPU at stock speed (the FX-6300 is unlocked).
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks Everyone - useful, and appreciated, inputs, and food for thought! All will be studied at length and acted upon as necessary. If you think of anything else, please add, I'm definitely in learning mode! :chocciebar:
Regards,
Keith

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

By the time you've replaced the motherboard, memory and CPU there's not much you'll be keeping. It might make more sense to buy a new barebones system and transfer any disks, graphics cards etc. that you want to keep. That way you get a nice new case, fans with bearings that are going to last a while etc.
StuartR

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

You make a good point(s)! and It wouldn't add that much extra to costs - I'll ponder!! :read:
Thanks,
Regards,
Keith

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

aekyall wrote:You make a good point(s)! and It wouldn't add that much extra to costs - I'll ponder!! :read:
Thanks,
I have always built my systems up from scratch. I will second Stuart's recommendation here. :cheers:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

viking33 wrote:
aekyall wrote:You make a good point(s)! and It wouldn't add that much extra to costs - I'll ponder!! :read:
Thanks,
I have always built my systems up from scratch. I will second Stuart's recommendation here. :cheers:
I agree, too.

Most of the points already discussed also apply to picking components for a new self-built system. The challenge is to resist "mission creep," choosing the newest, latest and fastest when something less (but still better than what you have now) will do. I speak from experience. :grin: I wanted a nearly-top-of-the-line i7 CPU, 16 GB of RAM, and a solid-state system drive. The box now on my desk cost a bit over $1000 (about £770), and I already had a usable video card. I count myself very fortunate to be able to afford it.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

StuartR wrote:By the time you've replaced the motherboard, memory and CPU there's not much you'll be keeping.
I did that, and some more, one time many years ago; CPU, motherboard, RAM, graphics and PSU. There was a problem with the motherboard, and of course at that point the CPU socket had changed, and RAM, and even the expansion slot for graphics card.

My most recent build was as usual, all new parts. The result this time is a slightly more transnational PC than otherwise. A Swedish case (no, not IKEA), a CPU, PSU and HDDs from the USA, a CPU fan from Austria, a mobo from Taiwan, a SSD, from South Korea etc. And, of course, many/most parts build in China ... :laugh:

I agree that there can be a risk for mission creep ... :grin: That said, picking components, no matter if two or a dozen, comparing, reading etc. is part of the fun (IMO) until mission creep and frustration sets in. The biggest advantage, apart from getting the mix of components you want, is that I know the data for almost every component, which makes it easier to maintain down the road.

That said, if the aim is to keep costs down, and the case and PSU is OK, I see no problem with just changing CPU, motherboard and RAM. To, for example, shoehorn a cheap case into the budget just because will not add much to the end result; spend some more on a case and it might be easier to build and maintain. A cheap PSU could damage other components etc. That said, I think there is a big difference in power supply units compared to 10-15 years ago. So, perhaps better to change some parts and build a completely new system later.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

An IKEA case would be a nice idea...
Congratulations on your new IKEA computer case Sandlåda! This package contains 6 metal plates, 68 screws, 136 metal rings, 178 wires, ...
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

:laugh:
If it should happen that the end result looks like, and can be used as, a case, by that time you've lost all energy and interest in a new PC. And the components will be obsolete.

But if you are lucky maybe there will be parts left to build a mini-PC.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

StuartR wrote:It might make more sense to buy a new barebones system and transfer any disks, graphics cards etc. that you want to keep. That way you get a nice new case, fans with bearings that are going to last a while etc.
That could also be a good idea, depending on budget and what is available, I guess.

Around here, as far as I've seen, a barebone PC is usully a small mini-PC such as Intel NUC. There are also complete kits that you assemble yourself, slightly better than a white box sort of, but they include everything except OS; and at least the ones I've seen are not cheaper or "better" than picking individual components (if you already have a graphics card, or want to run graphics from the CPU, these kits are of little interest). But I understand that elsewhere, there are barebone miditowers etc. where you add/pick CPU, RAM and GPU. That is, a case with a PSU and a motherboard (and perhaps an optical drive).

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Argus, That sounds like a very international system you have!
I assume it is able to handle ALL of the various languages that MS offers, without pre-selection by the user? :scratch: :grin: Screen gets a bit crowded though. :cheers:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks All - Lots to ponder on (and work through!) - Mission creep I understand! I haven't even bought anything yet but already when I look at various components I can't help but notice the ones that have a higher performance - and have a correspondingly higher price!!! :flee:
I'm leaning more towards building from scratch - which was my original thought, then modified by the need to keep costs down - but perhaps that might be a false economy in the long run!
The sage comments/advice/inputs are much appreciated :thankyou:

ps: I'll pass on IKEA if you don't mind!!!
Regards,
Keith

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

A Swedish case (no, not IKEA)
Is that a Fractal Design case? I got the Define R4 -- an enormous black box, but I love having enough room to work inside it without banging my knuckles on sharp edges. And the cable management is superb.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Yes, it's a Fractal Design. A Define R5. I agree with you about the space & cable management, and I think their fans are good as well.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:An IKEA case would be a nice idea...
Congratulations on your new IKEA computer case Sandlåda! This package contains 6 metal plates, 68 screws, 136 metal rings, 178 wires, ...
You forget to itemise the wee nuts/screws.
Spoiler
As in the nuts/screws that are always left over and go "Wheeeee!" as you chuck them away.
Ken