Google Chromebooks virtual environment

jmt356
SilverLounger

Google Chromebooks virtual environment

Post by jmt356 »

I have increasingly seen notebook PCs that are designed for an online virtual environment. As I understand, documents, emails and other files are designed to be stored online. Therefore, the laptops have limited hard drive space. I believe programs are not installed directly on the laptops but instead are hosted online as well.

Do these computers come with some kind of a Citrix subscription agreement, where users pay a monthly fee to host their applications and files online?

Is the online environment one that can be logged into from any computer?

What is monthly or annual pricing like?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Google Chromebooks virtual environment

Post by HansV »

As far as I can tell, apps are installed on the Chromebook, just as on your smartphone or tablet. The difference with a PC is that all those apps run within the Chrome browser.

Many Chromebooks come with a free one or two year subscription to Google Drive; after that you have to pay a few dollars a month to keep the storage over the free 15 GB that everyone gets. See Pricing Guide.

To go online, you'll need an internet connection - either a mobile connection or a WiFi connection, just like on your smartphone or tablet.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I can't imagine how many apps can be installed on a laptop with a 16 GB hard drive. My Adobe Creative Suite installation files alone are 6 GB.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Chromebook versions of Creative Suite apps will be released later this year. They will probably be 'lighter' than their Windows counterparts.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

And I hope less expensive. Adobe CreateSuite costs nearly $2,000.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

We'll have to wait and see. App versions of software are usually much cheaper than their Windows or Mac counterparts, but we don't know Adobe's plans yet.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

jmt356 wrote:And I hope less expensive. Adobe CreateSuite costs nearly $2,000.
Not any more, Adobe have moved all their CS products over to a subscription model, aka 'Creative Cloud' and as a result you can no longer applications things like Photoshop for a one off fee. See these links for starters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Cre ... ntinuation
http://www.adobe.com/au/products/cs6.html

Ken

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

When I bought Adobe CS, it cost nearly $2,000. I am glad I was able to buy it when I did. It was not cheap, but the one-off expense is more financially sound in the long run than spending hundreds of dollars per year (that's what I think it costs) with the subscription model.
Regards,

JMT