What should I check?

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

What should I check?

Post by Skitterbug »

It has been ages since I've done anything with a PC. An older friend called to say her monitor runs for a few minutes and then goes black. She can turn it off and then back on and it runs again for a few minutes and then goes black. She wants me to check it.

There is my dilemma, what do I check besides cables and maybe open the computer to see if the graphic card is set correctly? Or do I even need to crack the case open to check the card? Or being thorough, it should be done? AAARRUUUGGHHH..... Anyway, trouble shooting and suggestions needed!

Thanks!
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: What should I check?

Post by stuck »

Umm... it's not as simple as a black screen saver kicking in, is it? As in, it goes black even though there is movement on the screen / while she's using it?

Otherwise a bad cable and /or connection between the box and the monitor?

Also, look in the monitor's on-screen menu. There might be something in that menu structure about power saving that might explain why it's turning off.

Ken

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

stuck wrote:Umm... it's not as simple as a black screen saver kicking in, is it? As in, it goes black even though there is movement on the screen / while she's using it?

Otherwise a bad cable and /or connection between the box and the monitor?

Also, look in the monitor's on-screen menu. There might be something in that menu structure about power saving that might explain why it's turning off.

Ken
Thanks for replying Ken!
I've been hunting on line for info so when I go to her home I am prepared as well as I can be. I did find that when people upgraded to Win 10, that it messed up the time out in power settings for some of them. So I reckon that as you pointed out, that will be a place to check! Guess I'll know more after I visit the scene of the crime - as they say!
Smiles to you!
Sandy

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ken's suggestion of looking for the screensaver settings is the first thing I would check.
Next, in Control Panel > Power Options, check whether the monitor has been set to turn off after x minutes. The screenshot below is from Windows 10.
S1326.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

HansV wrote:Ken's suggestion of looking for the screensaver settings is the first thing I would check.
Next, in Control Panel > Power Options, check whether the monitor has been set to turn off after x minutes. The screenshot below is from Windows 10.
S1326.png
I have copied and pasted your info on my "to check" list! I appreciate all help!
Thanks! :yep:
Sandy

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Typical - So I gathered ideas and then returned the telephone call to this person in dire need. Surprise! She is not at home. Left a message that I am available to check things out for her - no return call. AARRUUGGHHH

So when and IF I finally do get a chance to check on this person's monitor problem, I'll post the outcome.

Thanks for the rapid response of shared information here. I really appreciate the willingness of our group to help each other!

:thankyou:
Sandy

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

So I did make it to my older friend's home and gave her questions a check. I believe maybe the monitor is starting to be a problem for her and she might need to replace it. I could find nothing else to cause the blackouts. I did change the power settings, etc. but she said that her monitor still likes to go black. The other problem she was concerned about was her missing solitaire game. :grin: I helped her find it back again. Makes me wonder what I'll be like when I am 85+........

Thanks for the help!
Sandy

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

At least she has her Solitaire back!
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Skitterbug wrote:...The other problem she was concerned about was her missing solitaire game. :grin: I helped her find it back again. Makes me wonder what I'll be like when I am 85+...
My Dad is 95 and he keeps losing things from the desktop on his PC. He knows it must be something he does, but has no idea how it happens.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

My mother is 85. When she calls me with a PC problem it always takes me several minutes to get her to realise that I can't see what she can see on her screen.

Ken

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Hans - yes, she was very happy to have her game "found" again since she enjoys playing it!
Stuart - It is kind of like accidentally shoving things from the countertop into the rubbish can that sits next to it! I've lost a few kitchen utensils that way! :grin:
Ken - you are kind to be so patient with your Mom! It is frustrating sometimes trying to explain the problem to someone on the other end of the telephone!

I dread the day when I struggle with technology since we are entwined with it so tightly now! I guess that is when I call the "kids" and ask for HELP! :)

Sandy